Stockman challenges Cornyn!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 11:28:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Stockman challenges Cornyn!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Stockman challenges Cornyn!  (Read 11757 times)
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »

The filing deadline was 6p local time today. Of course someone could sue to get on the ballot, but I don't see either Castros or White or any Dem of significance doing that.
Oh, duh. Well, looks like this seat will be staying red, but if Stockman wins, I'm hoping and praying it'll set the tone for Democratic wins in other races.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 11:59:33 PM »

I actually think Stockman will win. This is Texas after all.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 12:07:17 AM »

If he wins the primary, he will probably win the general. Ted Cruz did the same.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »

If he wins the primary, he will probably win the general. Ted Cruz did the same.

Unlike Cruz, who has self discipline during a campaign, I think it's very possible, actually even probable, that an idiot like Stockman could have multiple Akin-esque implosions. Would it be enough to make Texas competitive?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 12:40:16 AM »

No, for that the Democrats would need a decent candidate and they have none.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 02:17:30 AM »

If Stockman hadn't been so last-minute about this, the Democrats should have gotten Jim McReynolds to run for his House seat. It's practically identical to the TX House seat he held until 2011 and the Republicans running are amateurs with zero name recognition.

The only county in TX-36 that was in McReynold's district is Tyler.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 02:22:34 AM »

Ugh. Tyler.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 02:55:18 AM »

Oh lawd.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 03:56:06 AM »

Texas Democrats should compete this seat too. I want to be clear, Davis and this democrat will probably never win, but it's stupid to target the gubernational seat only.
Ichabod
Kierkegaard
Rookie
Chile

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 08:14:06 AM »

Steve Stockman was once homeless not too long ago. It's a shame that Steve Stockman (R) isn't named Saul Santiago (D). If he was, liberals would be screaming his American Dream story from the rooftops. He probably would have displaced that Castro clown.

If you are laughing about Latino people and so proud about your American roots, you should know that the right spelling is "if he were".
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »

If he does win the primary, he'll win the general, but his overall craziness could be a drag on Republican Senate candidates elsewhere. Putting him in mailers next to Republican candidates in swing states would be a smart idea, since it would speak to a theme of extremism and give voters pause about voting Republican at all.
Conflicted Progressive
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »

If he does win the primary, he'll win the general, but his overall craziness could be a drag on Republican Senate candidates elsewhere. Putting him in mailers next to Republican candidates in swing states would be a smart idea, since it would speak to a theme of extremism and give voters pause about voting Republican at all.

This is certainly true. At the same time, I think Stockman would allow the race to be tighter (5-10 points as opposed to 15-20) given his overall craziness. Yes, Texas elected Cruz but he (and some of his more 'interesting' statements) went under the radar in 2012.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »

The Club for Growth is passing on Stockman. I wonder which of the big-name tea party groups will endorse him.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 02:55:22 PM »

FreedomWorks was out with a "John Cornyn's 10 Worst Votes" post last night, so they're a possibility.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »

(1) I think I know that guy; (2) That has got to be the dumbest line of attack you could use.

"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I WAS IN OFFICE OBSTRUCTING THE PRESIDENT AND YOU...WEREN'T HOLDING ANY KIND OF PUBLIC OFFICE AND HAD NO MEANS TO DO SO?"
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »

Wendy Davis's campaign needs to cherry pick every batsh!t crazy thing Steve Stockman and Dan Patrick say during the upcoming primaries and run them on TV ads on an endless loop. No commentary. Just a big message at the end that says, "This is the Texas Republican Party. Who are you going to vote for?"
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »

Really? This is happening? Yes, good.

Steve Stockman was once homeless not too long ago. It's a shame that Steve Stockman (R) isn't named Saul Santiago (D). If he was, liberals would be screaming his American Dream story from the rooftops. He probably would have displaced that Castro clown.

Not if Santiago was still a sketchy crank we wouldn't.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 07:29:56 PM »

The Texas GOP has extended the filing deadline for TX-36 for another week.

We'll see if anyone actually decent steps in.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/12/10/club-for-growth-wont-oppose-cornyn/

Club for Growth supports Cornyn for reelection and will not back Stockman in his primary challenge.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »

(1) I think I know that guy; (2) That has got to be the dumbest line of attack you could use.

"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I WAS IN OFFICE OBSTRUCTING THE PRESIDENT AND YOU...WEREN'T HOLDING ANY KIND OF PUBLIC OFFICE AND HAD NO MEANS TO DO SO?"
IIRC, Stockman has been in congress since 1994. Hardly a Tea Party newcomer.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »

No, he defeated Jack Brooks in '94 but was booted after a single term by Nick Lampson in '96.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2013, 12:34:21 AM »

Wendy Davis's campaign needs to cherry pick every batsh!t crazy thing Steve Stockman and Dan Patrick say during the upcoming primaries and run them on TV ads on an endless loop. No commentary. Just a big message at the end that says, "This is the Texas Republican Party. Who are you going to vote for?"

If Wendy Davis wants to run against Stockman she should've ran for Senate (and now I'm wishing she did).
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2013, 12:37:36 AM »

If Wendy Davis wants to run against Stockman she should've ran for Senate (and now I'm wishing she did).

But Stockman's not likely to end up winning(esp. given the dynamics he is facing). Then what? She ends up losing by 20+ points to Cornyn.

If Wendy Davis wants to hold any higher office she is better off running for governor(even if that is a long shot too).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2013, 12:46:13 AM »

But Stockman's not likely to end up winning(esp. given the dynamics he is facing). Then what? She ends up losing by 20+ points to Cornyn.

If Wendy Davis wants to hold any higher office she is better off running for governor(even if that is a long shot too).

Well her chances against both Abbott and Cornyn are 0%. But her chances against Stockman would be somewhere north of 0%.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2013, 12:56:29 AM »

Well her chances against both Abbott and Cornyn are 0%. But her chances against Stockman would be somewhere north of 0%.

Well Stockman isn't even likely to win the primary so it's a moot point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies