Stockman challenges Cornyn!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 12:19:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Stockman challenges Cornyn!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Stockman challenges Cornyn!  (Read 11637 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »

Bring the pop-corn.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/12/tea-party-favorite-takes-on-gop-big-name/

One of Washington’s most reliably conservative lawmakers is breaking the news that he will challenge a mainstay of the Republican establishment – all because the incumbent GOP senator “undermined Sen. Ted Cruz’s fight to stop Obamacare.”

Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Texas, told WND exclusively that he will run against against Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, in the state’s primary race. Cornyn is running for re-election to the Senate in 2014.

The congressman is filing the paperwork Monday evening.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »

Great news. Cornyn wipes the floor with Stockman, who will then be out of Congress. Win-win. Plus the entertainment value.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »

Here's hoping Stockman will be at least Bevin-esque; even if Dems don't have a ALG-level candidate, this could still be a fun election.

EDIT: Also, from what I understand, complete no-names are the only ones filed for Stockman's Congressional seat, so we may have have another accidental Congressman.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »

What are Texas' rules on losing primary candidates running as independents?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »

More like EW Jackson or Sharron Angle.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »

Great news. Cornyn wipes the floor with Stockman, who will then be out of Congress. Win-win. Plus the entertainment value.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »

Most likely result, but I'm still excited, same reason as you: entertainment value. I saw this just a minute ago on my phone and started LOLing

Speaking of entertainment value, I'm going to start a thread soon to outline the clown car Democratic primary for this seat. It's really...embarrassing. But now we can say hey look, your party had some crazy in its primary too.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2013, 08:29:23 PM by angryGreatness »

EDIT: I should also note that PPP had Cornyn trailing "someone more conservative" 33/49.

Also, because Stockman switched races at the last minute, and because all the Republicans running against him were either just as or MORE insane than him, you can be assured that the next occupant of TX-36 will be just as terrible as Stockman was.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »

Neither Stockman nor the Democrats will get Cornyn's seat, but if this sort of thing is indicative of what the Republican Senate primaries will be like next year, the GOP will more likely than not piss away yet another opportunity to pick up the Senate.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »

EDIT: I should also note that PPP had Cornyn trailing "someone more conservative" 33/49.

They had him leading Gohmert 40/31 and trailing Perry 46/35 also. I'm interested to see a poll on Cornyn/Stockman, should be interesting. With the ~4 bit candidates also in the primary Cornyn's gonna have to invest some money or tack harder to the right to ensure there won't be a runoff.

I wonder if Cruz will ultimately step in.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »

Are we sure that Stockman is leaving his congressional seat? IIRC, Texas allows running for multiple offices at once.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 09:26:15 PM »

Are we sure that Stockman is leaving his congressional seat? IIRC, Texas allows running for multiple offices at once.

He's pulled his TX-36 filling, meaning he's committed to the Senate race. And while Texas law is a little iffy, it would likely be illegal for him to run in two primaries at once.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »

Obviously, I don't expect this to improve dem chances here, but I do expect it to be entertaining to watch. Smiley
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2013, 09:39:00 PM by du Pont '88: Hope for America »

I'm not aware of us allowing you to be on multiple ballots. There was a loophole years ago that was crafted solely to allow LBJ to run for US Senate and for Vice President but I believe that has long since been amended.

You may be allowed to run for both a federal office and a municipal or state office, but I'm fairly certain you cannot be on the ballot for both US Representative and US Senate.

If Stockman hadn't been so last-minute about this, the Democrats should have gotten Jim McReynolds to run for his House seat. It's practically identical to the TX House seat he held until 2011 and the Republicans running are amateurs with zero name recognition.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »

According to the Politico article he withdrew from his district's primary, and couldn't run for both.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »

I'm going out on limb and saying Stockman wins the primary... it's clear Republicans want someone else and I hope they know what they're getting into.
Yogi
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »

Cornyn 2014.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 10:12:36 PM »

Steve Stockman was once homeless not too long ago. It's a shame that Steve Stockman (R) isn't named Saul Santiago (D). If he was, liberals would be screaming his American Dream story from the rooftops. He probably would have displaced that Castro clown.

Thanks for the vaguely racist opinion. But Stockman is less of the "desperate and down-on-his-luck" homeless person and more of the "wears a tinfoil hat and yells at pigeons" homeless person.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »

Davis should switch to Senate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 10:18:59 PM »

Steve Stockman was once homeless not too long ago. It's a shame that Steve Stockman (R) isn't named Saul Santiago (D). If he was, liberals would be screaming his American Dream story from the rooftops. He probably would have displaced that Castro clown.

That depends.  Is Santiago just as stupid and ill-informed as Stockman?  If so, I doubt it.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 10:52:47 PM »

A PPP poll from early November had Stockman trailing Cornyn 41-19. Aaaannnddd the Democratic lineup is a complete joke. I'd rather Wendy stay in the gubernatorial race, but who else is there? Bill White? Joaquin Castro? I doubt it, but what about Julian Castro?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »

Isn't the filing deadline just about up? This is it.

A PPP poll from early November had Stockman trailing Cornyn 41-19.

That's generally how these races start. I have a feeling it won't be this way by the end. Cornyn will probably win by 10 or so points, but I can't imagine Stockman staying that low.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:56 PM »

Isn't the filing deadline just about up? This is it.

A PPP poll from early November had Stockman trailing Cornyn 41-19.

That's generally how these races start. I have a feeling it won't be this way by the end. Cornyn will probably win by 10 or so points, but I can't imagine Stockman staying that low.

I'm sure his numbers will rise, unless he properly fills out his nutjob Tea Party roll and pulls an Akin/Mourdock.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:14 PM »

The filing deadline was 6p local time today. Of course someone could sue to get on the ballot, but I don't see either Castros or White or any Dem of significance doing that.

Cornyn's people are tweeting up a storm:

My favorite is that last one.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies