Towns with large LGBT population
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 01:35:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Towns with large LGBT population
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Towns with large LGBT population  (Read 1963 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2013, 11:03:21 PM »

One thing I've always wondered about are rural places (often resorts) that have a large LGBT population- places like Provincetown, MA or Eureka Springs, AR. What factors made them have such a big LGBT population?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/research/census-lgbt-demographics-studies/gallup-lgbt-pop-feb-2013/

Here's an interesting article I read about it. (I'm sure TDAS04 will love this; South Dakota)

As for rural towns and such, as it says in the article, there's a connection between social acceptance and LGBT population. So the more recognition of civil unions and same-sex marriages the more likely there is to be a higher gay/lesbian/bisexual/transsexual population. I'm not sure I can tell you specifically what it is about the small towns, but there's likely history behind it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2013, 11:46:07 PM by SLValleyMan »

My hometown of Salt Lake City. It is estimated that 8.5% of the adult population is LGBT, which is more than twice the national average of 3.7%.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52477423-78/lake-salt-couples-sex.html.csp

For a rural town, there's Eureka Springs, Arkansas - the only place in the state with a domestic partnership registry, and whose town council has passed a resolution endorsing marriage equality.

EDIT: Saw your introduction, and that you would want to keep this town-focused.

Don't know about actual population, but in terms of gay-friendly small towns, I can think of a few: There are some small towns out in the west that voted against SSM bans, like:
-Gustavus, Alaska
-Amador, California
-Mt. Shasta, California
-Mammoth Lakes, California
-Nevada City, California
-Alpine County, California (which has less than 1,200 residents, so it might as well count.)
-Many of the little ski resort towns in Colorado.
-Lexington, Virginia
-Grand Marais, Minnesota
-International Falls, Minnesota
-Sandpoint, Idaho

I can think of a few places in Utah, as well. Park City and Moab definitely voted against banning SSM in 2008, and Summit Park, Castle Valley, and Springdale most likely voted against banning it as well.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »

IDK whether those towns have a particularly large LGBT population though. Lexington, VA, for example, is a college town (It's home to VMI and Washington and Lee) - I don't know if it's particularly gay, or just left wing on SSM.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »

IDK whether those towns have a particularly large LGBT population though. Lexington, VA, for example, is a college town (It's home to VMI and Washington and Lee) - I don't know if it's particularly gay, or just left wing on SSM.

VMI doesn't strike me as a particularly liberal college.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »

Wilton Manners is one of the largest LBGT communities in South Florida. DWS is their current Representative.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:31:49 PM »

VMI doesn't strike me as a particularly liberal college.

Yeah, but Washington and Lee is larger. Also, all of them have professors, who aren't necessarily conservative, and the associated college community.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »

I knew there was a reason why I liked Lexington so much
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies