In reversal, Obama says he lived with uncle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:32:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  In reversal, Obama says he lived with uncle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: In reversal, Obama says he lived with uncle  (Read 1861 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 09:18:11 PM »

I see this forum accurately reflects Washington DC's idea of political civility.

And welcome to Atlas, BradyNH Smiley  You'll find we snarl and hiss now and then... but we're really a tight knit community at the end of the day (I suppose that is a lot like Washington DC)
This is the best description of this site I have yet to hear.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »

This is another Presidenting-while-black/foreign charge.

Obama isn't descended from Miles Standish
.  Get over it. 

cite?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2013, 09:36:53 PM by cinyc »

I see this forum accurately reflects Washington DC's idea of political civility.
Oh no, not at all.  There are plenty of people on this site with differing views and the point is to call BS when you see BS.

Cinyc's race baiting and hand waving here deserves nothing more than to be ridiculed and ultimately ignored.

Otherwise Cinyc does make good contributions to the forum... occasionally.

He was trolling with this thread.  Then he got butthurt because I "attacked" him.

I'd say this:  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

And welcome to Atlas, BradyNH Smiley  You'll find we snarl and hiss now and then... but we're really a tight knit community at the end of the day (I suppose that is a lot like Washington DC)

Please point out where I race-baited anything.  I said nothing about race at all.  And posting things that go against the liberal orthodoxy here is not "trolling".   As much as some of you red avatars would like it to be, this is not Daily Kos.  People are allowed to have different viewpoints without being called "dumb" or a "Republican idiot".

What's the most popular story on Google News and top story on Yahoo! Politics news right now?  What's the third-most popular and fourth-most discussed story on CBSnews.com right now?  What story is on the front page of almost every major news website right now?  Why shouldn't we be discussing this?  Because it's not favorable to President Obama?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »

Obama isn't descended from Miles Standish
.  Get over it. 

cite?

OK, I admit it, Obama isn't just a secret Muslim, he's also a secret pilgrim.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »

Oh no, not at all.  There are plenty of people on this site with differing views and the point is to call BS when you see BS.

Cinyc's race baiting and hand waving here deserves nothing more than to be ridiculed and ultimately ignored.

Otherwise Cinyc does make good contributions to the forum... occasionally.

He was trolling with this thread.  Then he got butthurt because I "attacked" him.

I'd say this:  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Please point out where I race-baited anything.  I said nothing about race at all.  And posting things that go against the liberal orthodoxy here is not "trolling".   As much as some of you red avatars would like it to be, this is not Daily Kos.  People are allowed to have different viewpoints without being called "dumb" or a "Republican idiot".

What's the most popular story on Google News and top story on Yahoo! Politics news right now?  What's the third-most popular and fourth-most discussed story on CBSnews.com right now?  What story is on the front page of almost every major news website right now?  Why shouldn't we be discussing this?  Because it's not favorable to President Obama?
Just because this is subtle race baiting doesn't mean you yourself are racist.  But threads like these play at the racist undertones that underlies much of the right wing opposition to Obama.

I really doubt you'd have said a thing and I really doubt it would be newsworthy if it came to light that Bill Clinton (hypothetically) lived with an illegal Irish uncle back in the 60s for a few weeks.

And you would be mad if we constantly brought up and demanded it be top news that George W. Bush's grandfather had a significant part in aiding the Nazis in WWII which he didn't disclose and thus he lied about (cuz lack of disclosure apparently is lying now).

The piont is... for every little piddly "GOTCHA" you ahve against Obama, we have 3-fold of against modern Republicans who are doing a great job of alienating themselves from the majority of Americans (the fact that Atlas has turned so liberal is not an accident nor is it a mod conspiracy.  People in tune with politics literally have no justification to support Republicans.. that's all).

Nobody is saying you should be banned or silenced for posting this.  But you should expect people to either ignore or just dismiss it as more right wing garbage sorting.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »

Obama isn't descended from Miles Standish.  Get over it. 

Considering Obama's mother's ancestry, it's very possible he is descended from Miles Standish, and he's almost certainly descended from some Mayflower passengers.

There's not much of a point to the story itself beyond continuing to point out that White House PR is incompetent beyond belief (or some other parts of the administration Tongue). No one gives a sh**t whether or not Obama lived with/met his uncle; but you'd expect a truthful answer to be given on the topic by the White House PR department.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 09:59:01 PM »

Considering Obama's mother's ancestry, it's very possible he is descended from Miles Standish, and he's almost certainly descended from some Mayflower passengers.

There's not much of a point to the story itself beyond continuing to point out that White House PR is incompetent beyond belief (or some other parts of the administration Tongue). No one gives a sh**t whether or not Obama lived with/met his uncle; but you'd expect a truthful answer to be given on the topic by the White House PR department.

I think you understand my point.  Many people don't like Obama because of his perceived foreignness and blackness.  That's why people question his heritage and turn any relation with Kenya or black folks into a scandal.   His white ancestors don't matter at all.  You know the rule in America, we have the one drop rule.  One drop of Kenyan/Muslim/black blood and you're a negro.  That's what this whole thing is about, coded racism and xenophobia.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:40 PM »

I think you understand my point. Many people don't like Obama because of his perceived foreignness and blackness.  That's why people question his heritage and turn any relation with Kenya or black folks into a scandal.   His white ancestors don't matter at all.

This is all true on the face of it, but a lot of Obama proponents significantly overestimate the effect that race has on opposition to Obama's policies. The opposition to a white Democratic President would've scarcely been any less enthusiastic. I'll agree with you that the sort of person who cares deeply about this specific controversy might be more likely to disapprove of Obama on account of race or ethnicity because of its nature, but for your average Republican/Fox News viewer/conservative, this just blends in with a general pattern of 'Obama lied about Obamacare/other stuff' without being too significant in and of itself.

You know the rule in America, we have the one drop rule.  One drop of Kenyan/Muslim/black blood and you're a negro.

In America, it's all about how you look. People who are 1/2-black or 1/4-black look like black people, usually, so racists project their racism onto them. But if he wanted to, G.K. Butterfield could pass for a white without too much trouble.

That's what this whole thing is about, coded racism and xenophobia.

To a small extent that's part of it, but for the most part it's really not.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »

Just because this is subtle race baiting doesn't mean you yourself are racist.  But threads like these play at the racist undertones that underlies much of the right wing opposition to Obama.

I really doubt you'd have said a thing and I really doubt it would be newsworthy if it came to light that Bill Clinton (hypothetically) lived with an illegal Irish uncle back in the 60s for a few weeks.

And you would be mad if we constantly brought up and demanded it be top news that George W. Bush's grandfather had a significant part in aiding the Nazis in WWII which he didn't disclose and thus he lied about (cuz lack of disclosure apparently is lying now).

The piont is... for every little piddly "GOTCHA" you ahve against Obama, we have 3-fold of against modern Republicans who are doing a great job of alienating themselves from the majority of Americans (the fact that Atlas has turned so liberal is not an accident nor is it a mod conspiracy.  People in tune with politics literally have no justification to support Republicans.. that's all).

Nobody is saying you should be banned or silenced for posting this.  But you should expect people to either ignore or just dismiss it as more right wing garbage sorting.

Criticism of the Obama administration's candor is not "subtle race baiting."  Nor does much of the right-wing criticism of Obama have anything to do with race - any more than the much more virulent right-wing criticism of Clinton had anything to do with his race.  And yes, if the Clinton administration denied that he lived with an illegal Irish alien before admitting that wasn't true, it would be a story.  Both because he lived with an illegal alien but mainly because the administration lied about it or was so incompetent as to not get to the truth the first time.

Republicans are doing such a great job of "alienating themselves from the majority of Americans" that they are leading in the generic Congressional ballot.  There are plenty of websites full of "people in tune with politics" who support Republicans.  They don't post as much here in part because they know their position is not popular here and will only lead to personal attacks and nonsense about being a "troll" for posting what they truly believe.  I know I don't post as much here as I otherwise would because of that.  It's not worth my time or energy.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »

I think you understand my point. Many people don't like Obama because of his perceived foreignness and blackness.  That's why people question his heritage and turn any relation with Kenya or black folks into a scandal.   His white ancestors don't matter at all.

This is all true on the face of it, but a lot of Obama proponents significantly overestimate the effect that race has on opposition to Obama's policies. The opposition to a white Democratic President would've scarcely been any less enthusiastic. I'll agree with you that the sort of person who cares deeply about this specific controversy might be more likely to disapprove of Obama on account of race or ethnicity because of its nature, but for your average Republican/Fox News viewer/conservative, this just blends in with a general pattern of 'Obama lied about Obamacare/other stuff' without being too significant in and of itself.

You know the rule in America, we have the one drop rule.  One drop of Kenyan/Muslim/black blood and you're a negro.

In America, it's all about how you look. People who are 1/2-black or 1/4-black look like black people, usually, so racists project their racism onto them. But if he wanted to, G.K. Butterfield could pass for a white without too much trouble.

Republicans would be doing similar stuff if the President was a white Democrat.  They would be creating false controversies about nothing and calling him or her communist.  They wouldn't be race-baiting though and by itself, race-baiting and playing into racism as a political tactic is low and should be called out. 

And on the whole lying issue.  Obama didn't directly lie about Obamacare or his uncle.  And you know what KRS-ONE said:  "Every President we ever had lied, you know I'm kind of glad Nixon died."
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »

Get over it, the man is President. Not McCain. Not Romney. Not Bush. Not Palin. OBAMA IS PRESIDENT, GET THE HELL OVER IT.
CAPS WILL MAKE PEOPLE TAKE ME MORE SERIOUSLY.

I'm just treating the people full of nonsense exactly like what they are, immature.
Obama's uncle is not the issue, and the Tea Party hated Obama long before he beat Romney, so the election mention was rather pointless as well. Obama lied. He lied over a simple, minor thing, but he lied. It's not like he lied over Iraqi WMDs, or tapes in the Oval Office, like some in my own party have, but he still lied. Thats the story here, and everyone should be zoning in on that instead of calling him a Kenyan Marxist or screaming "WE WON, WHO CARES."

We've known Obama's press office is a mess and Carney is a joke but this isn't a big whup.
If Double Down is correct, his administration is rather tumultuous. It also is plagued by leakers.

What exactly is there to zone in only? This is just another pointless, nitpicking gotcha, nothing more. What do you think is going to come of zeroing in on this?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 10:47:32 PM »

Republicans would be doing similar stuff if the President was a white Democrat.  They would be creating false controversies about nothing and calling him or her communist.

I'm glad you can see that.

They wouldn't be race-baiting though and by itself, race-baiting and playing into racism as a political tactic is low and should be called out.

I agree with you, but I wouldn't say that's a very common thing in the Republican (or Democratic) Parties right now. Where it exists it ought to be stamped on. 

And on the whole lying issue.  Obama didn't directly lie about Obamacare
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The article says "a White House press official" did. Obviously that's not Obama himself, but it still points to incompetence that someone so high up would do something so pointless and blatant.

And you know what KRS-ONE said:  "Every President we ever had lied, you know I'm kind of glad Nixon died."

Everyone doing something doesn't necessarily make it OK.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »

And?
Link
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 08:57:41 AM »

Criticism of the Obama administration's candor is not "subtle race baiting."

No it's not "subtle race baiting."  But having a meltdown about which 100% benign relative's couch a black president spent a few nights on in his 20's while his apartment was being prepared is.  Just a really strange place to draw the line about candor.  Should I mention the elephant in the room?  I'm looking for all your threads ranting about Bush's claim Sadaam had nuclear weapons pointed at our throats.  Can't find them.  Search engine must be broken.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 09:51:49 AM »

I could care less. As if Obama lying is anything new....

How much less?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 09:55:48 AM »

We've known Obama's press office is a mess and Carney is a joke but this isn't a big whup.

Basically this. I know the Right would love to use this as a major impeaching tool (think witness type not get him out of office type, at least yet) but it doesn't move the meter much for me.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2013, 10:38:58 AM by Laloo Prasad »

Onyango sure does. Letting a future president come to stay with you has got to be a plus when it comes to avoiding deportation.
You'd think so, until you stopped being utterly clueless about western bureaucracy and/or the behavior of embarassed people in positions of power anywhere in the world.

Once you do, you're just glad the future president is a blood relative, so at least they will not kill you.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 10:46:40 AM »

This goes directly to the administrations' credibility,

No, it doesn't.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »

It's Benghazi all over again!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »

Onyango sure does. Letting a future president come to stay with you has got to be a plus when it comes to avoiding deportation.
You'd think so, until you stopped being utterly clueless about western bureaucracy and/or the behavior of embarassed people in positions of power anywhere in the world.

Once you do, you're just glad the future president is a blood relative, so at least they will not kill you.

You'd think so, until you stopped consulting some weird left-wing Pythia long enough to read how his deportation trial turned out.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2013, 10:58:05 AM by Laloo Prasad »

You'd think so, until you stopped consulting some weird left-wing Pythia long enough to read how his deportation trial turned out.

Grin Touché. I believed this was still ongoing.

Though, of course, the fact that a man who apparently successfully fought deportation in the 80s has another deportation trial 30 years later speaks volumes in and of itself.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »

Bush lied, people died.

Obama lied, people had a somewhat inaccurate timeline of his life during the 1980s??
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »

Checkmate Lieberals!!!!!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 02:56:10 PM »

These pathetic Republican hacks are really desperate, aren't they?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »

UNCLEGATE
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies