The Record-Courier:(9-14 Edition)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 05:23:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Record-Courier:(9-14 Edition)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in February for President?
Duke

Jerry Arkansas

Flo

SirNick

Sibboleth

Tyrion

Napoleon

Undecided

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: The Record-Courier:(9-14 Edition)  (Read 9187 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 10:19:18 PM »

Of all the papers I get in my office, the Record-Courier is my newspaper of choice.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »

Of all the papers I get in my office, the Record-Courier is my newspaper of choice.
Thank you sir, that means a lot coming from someone so honored as yourself. I appreciate it and hope you will continue to subscribe!
GAworth
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2013, 09:11:21 PM by GAworth »

The Record-Courier
Serving the Midwest . . . and the Pacific
Regional News

The Record-Courier expands coverage to the Pacific!

Rapid City, Vitality - At the request of pacificans the Paper has expanded coverage to include the Pacific region. “We will still be keeping our Midwestern Roots but will now just include stories from the Pacific,” Owner and Publisher GAworth said.

Pacific-IDS feud re-ignited

It all started with Canada

San Fransisco, California Pacific Regional Senator Tyrion and Sbane launched a renewed attack on the IDS Saturday, the issue was apparently started over the colors of the map of Atlasia.  The feud has occurred at least since 2010 on and off. We will see if relations further worsen.

Pacific Elections this Thursday

Pacificans are going to elect Regional Government and At-Large Senators.

San Francisco, California - When asked about the elections the incumbent Governor PJ told us this,
 "This Thursday, the council and governor elections will begin. I have been very satisfied with the progress this session. However, I hope that we have enough candidates to fill all five seats, which is a current problem because I cannot currently find someone to replace inactive councillor drj101. I would also like to see someone run against me for Governor. My campaign against Cinci was one of the most stimulating elections the region has seen in months, and I would like to see these kinds of elections continue in the Pacific."
So far only Governor PJ has announced he is running for re-election. No one has declared yet for the Pacific Assembly. We await to see if anyone announces for the Council.

A look North?

Questions arise about how close we are to Canada.

Rapid City, Vitality - From registration, to ownership, to merger of political parties, a lot of talk about Canada has appeared in recent times. How close should we be with our neighbors to the North? A spokesperson for the Midwest-Canadian Partnership and Friendship Committee told us better relations could benefit the region, “under the ACCMA (Atlasian-Canadian Common Market Act) the Midwest has limited jurisdiction over some the most prosperous Provinces in Canada, we also have more Provinces and Territories within our area than any other region, and we have a lot to gain from closer ties.” Midwest Senator TNF has called for a merger with the Canadian Social Democratic Party called the New Democratic Party or NDP. We hope to talk to the SoIA later this week about his plan to promote further integration between the two Nations. We will try to keep you updated.

A sit down with the President

We talk to him about his proposed regional reform plan and re-election.

Rapid City, Vitality - We sat down with the President to talk to him about regional reform and whether or not it could be a reality.

1.   What does your plan for regional reform entail?

“The plan I proposed during the election called for a number of changes that would transform the game. First, it reduces the regions from five to three, and they will retail their legislatures. I favor the CARCA proposal because I think the map looks nice and makes sense, and I am all about pretty maps that don’t have regions patched together like Frankenstein. Second, it called for a bicameral legislature. A 6 member senate elected by the regions every 4 months and a 8 person house, called The People’s House, elected by an at-large vote every 2 months. The People’s House would have a partisan leadership structure while the senate would continue to use the non-partisan structure it currently enjoys. The VP would become a liaison between the PPT and the speaker of the house. The plan is still pretty young and I expect it to evolve once we begin formal discussions, but this is along the lines of what I would like to see. I think allowing us to experiment with a partisan house would add a new dynamic to the game.”

2.   Do you still believe in a bi-cameral Federal Legislature?

“Yes, I proposed it, and it would be incredibly silly if I proposed something I didn’t believe in, wouldn’t it? What kind of person do you think I am? Tongue

3.   Did you agree with the CARCA proposal?

“As I said above, I do like the map they came up with, but I am not sure if that will be the final map we chose to go with, if we make it that far. The plan I proposed is a work in progress and I am sure it will change once we begin formal discussions on it.”

4.   Do you believe it can pass the Senate this term?

“I have no idea. I hope it can. I was extremely disappointed that the reason it failed last time was because people simply did not show up to vote. Had they, we wouldn’t be in this position and we could potentially be on the next step of this journey, but maybe they did what they did because they enjoy suspense, because it turns them on to be teased and withhold things until the tension is highest. Whatever floats your boat, right? But we didn’t and here we are. We have to make do with the circumstances we are given, and I will, I am as flexible as a gymnast. We had the votes to pass it last time, so I am optimistic we can get it through this next time.”

5.   Will you be running for re-election as President?

“I have no idea. The beginning of my term has been overshadowed by my law school exam season, and in the spring, I have to start preparing for the bar which will take loads of time and focus. I suppose I will make a final call in the winter. The election is still months away, and I have things I want to accomplish before I leave office, whether that be in June or February. I tend not to look ahead. I am taking this one day at a time.

Hope this is thorough enough!”

We thank the President for sitting down with us.
Staff Note: No changes were made except for formatting, no content was altered or removed.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:34 PM »

Thank you sir, that means a lot coming from someone so honored as yourself. I appreciate it and hope you will continue to subscribe!

Any paper that uses the proper names for Midwestern states is worth its weight in gold.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »

I loved today's paper!
GAworth
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »

Any paper that uses the proper names for Midwestern states is worth its weight in gold.

It is hard to fine people who recognize the traditions of the region anymore. ;-)
GAworth
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 11:58:40 PM »

Thank you sir.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 12:11:05 AM »

You're doing a fine job, GAworth.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »

GAworth
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 12:41:01 AM »

Thank you Senator. If you would ever wish to submit an op-ed or sit down for an interview, the door is open.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 12:41:41 AM »

Thank you Governor.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »

Excellent work, GAworth Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »

Thanks for the interview. This was actually the first one I have ever done outside of The People's Paper, if you can imagine that. Shocking, I know, but no one has ever wanted to hear anything I had to say. Wink
GAworth
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »

Thanks for the interview. This was actually the first one I have ever done outside of The People's Paper, if you can imagine that. Shocking, I know, but no one has ever wanted to hear anything I had to say. Wink

The Record-Courier is all ears.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 08:06:26 PM »

The Record-Courier
Regional News
No candidates for Council?

Is the Pacific in crisis?

San Fransisco, California - As of the time of publication, no candidates have declared for the Pacific Council. The 5 seat chamber is in flux. One political observer said, “It looks like the government is holding on by duck tape, super glue, and PJ’s sheer determination.” No word on whether DemPGH, hats, or drj101, or others are considering a run or not. We will try to keep you updated.

Three Bills get voted on in Cheesewhiz.

Rural Housing, Small Business Loans, and Urban Agriculture Grants received votes in the Althing.

Cheesewhiz, Vitality - After a slow start to the session, three bills have received final votes. All three measures were sponsored by Representative GAworth. “I am glad to see these bills receive a vote on final passage.” Here are breakdowns of the Votes as of Publication:
Midwest Rural Housing Bill: GAworth (Yes), Cris (Yes), Arturo Belano (NV)
Midwest Small Business Start up Loan Bill: GAworth (Yes), Cris (Yes), Arturo Belano (NV)
Midwest Urban Agricultural Assistance Grants Bill: GAworth (Yes), Cris (Yes), Arturo Belano (NV)
With more bills to be under discussion shortly we look forward to seeing the progress of legislation through the remainder of the session.

National News

Do we have the right?

Should we be trying to remove people from office we don’t like? Does this marginalize the reason for recalls in the first place?

Rapid City, Vitality- Recent actions in the Mideast have raised national controversy; no it is not abortion legislation. It is the attempt to remove from office Sibboleth. This follows the Speaker of the Mideast Assembly no longer recognizing amendments from Sibboleth, citing they are an attempt to filibuster the legislation. “Sibboleth was elected by the people of the Mideast and is active. He might be annoying, calling people a fascist every five seconds, but he has a legitimate right to be in the Assembly,” a political analyst out of Nyman told us. Many people in the Pacific are overheard saying, “At least he contributes, be thankful of that.” Right or wrong we will try to keep up with the story. We also asked for an interview with Sibboleth but have not received answers back.

Follow Up: Update on DR Platform

As the Party moves into its first convention, we follow up on the progress of its platform.

Rapid City, Vitality - So far the members have not tried to remove anything from the original proposal of Chairman dallasfan65, except changing the term “polygamist couples” to “polygamist unions”. Dues Naturae submitted further options a few days ago, they included that Public services should be funded by user fees and the legalization of victimless crimes. The Party is running a candidate in the At-Large Senate Elections.

A note from the Paper

We would first like to thank everyone who reads the paper. We are always open to op-eds, quotes, and interviews. To those of you who have agreed to an interview but have not sent back your answers, if you could please send them by the end of the week, we would appreciate it. Please feel free to comment on stories, this is also a way to spark discussion with out, hopefully, the fireworks we sometimes see.
Thank you - Staff
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »

1.   What made you run or seek re-election for the Senate?
I thought I would be a new progressive voice in the Senate and our party needs a Senator and I thought I was the guy for the job.

2.   Briefly, describe what positions you have held in the past and how they prepare you for the Senate?
I have always been in favor of regional reform, I would like to see term limits for some offices, but seeing as we have a population as big as a western Nebraska voting district, it wouldn't be very practical, now would it?

3.   What are your three main issues you wish to address during your term in the Senate?
Regional reform, unemployment, and the deficit.

4.   What, if any, legislation would you like to introduce?
I want to introduce legislation that lowers taxes on the poorest of Atlasians, to lower taxes on green energy companies, to aid companies that start up here or relocate into Atlasia, and to work with the TNF's and Tmth's of the Senate to produce a bipartisan way to lower unemployment nationwide.

5.   What is your campaign slogan?
Go With The Flo

6.   What Political Party, if any, are you affiliated with?
The Progressive Union

7.   Do you have a campaign thread?
I do! Smiley
GAworth
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »

The Record-Courier
Regional News

Editorial - The Fifty Ninth Senate: Our chance for Progress:

By LumineVonReuental.

It was Theodore Roosevelt who said “When they call the roll, Senators don’t know whether to answer “Present” or “Not Guilty”. And that applies to our times as well, with the added occurrence of Senators not even voting out of sheer inactivity. Atlasia has a well known division between regional governments and the federal government, and it’s very easy to see Atlasians who would never serve in Nyman, but are happy to be efficient members of our regional government. Our federal government is there to give the example, to be our supposed role model, and it’s not just the President, it’s the Cabinet and the Senate.

The Atlasian Senate, in all of the fifty eight sessions, has been the place where the highest level of policies, bills and proposals are discussed, and it’s not just any office. To be a Senator means to have a good level of commitment, the ability to compromise, the strength to fight for your beliefs and the knowledge of Atlasian law and policy. As a former Assemblyman, Archduke and sitting Governor, I do not feel 100% ready to be a Senator. And our current Senate, as all Senates, sets an example to Atlasia. Right not, the example is not positive.

Gass, Xahar and Napoleon’s trolling via being absent or pushing for superfluous bill gives a bad example for Atlasia, despite North Carolina Yankee, Maxwell and Tmthforu’s (among others) best attempts at having an efficient and focused Senate. It was a Senate of great and known personalities (former Presidents, former candidates for very high offices, great officeholders), and it became the Senate that destroyed Regional Reform while pushing forward for Cloning Laws.

We have a chance to start again and have a better Senate, a better example for the country. Most of the regional Senators (that will stay until February) are great members to the Senate, like Spiral, or North Carolina Yankee, our esteemed Princeps Senatus. Among the many candidates ready to enter the Senate you have very positive options, like current Senator Tmthforu, Flo, Talleyrand, Goldwater, X and Shua. I don’t know Sibboleth enough to judge him, but the remaining six candidates have a record of being active and efficient players, and I trust them to give the example we need.

The next Senate has big challenges: they have to fight inactivity and partisanship, they have to discuss Regional Reform, and it won’t be easy. But this time, we have a chance to get it right. Today I openly ask Atlasians to vote for serious and committed candidates this time, and avoid repeating what we saw back in August. Voters and officeholders alike, this is our chance!

Staff Note: This editorial was not edited for content, editorials do not reflect the views of The Record-Courier.

GAworth introduces new bills to the Althing

Serene Representative introduces bills on Product Labeling, Family Leave, and Unemployment on Reservations.

Cheesewhiz, Vitality - Following three of his bills becoming law, Representative GAworth introduced an additional three pieces of legislation. This totals 7 bills introduced this session by the Representative out of 10 total. The other three were from Governor Lumine and Archduke windjammer. No bills have been introduced by Representatives cris or Arturo Belano. The three Bills deal with Country of origin labeling of products, Paid Family Leave, and unemployment on reservations. “I promised legislation on these during my campaigns, I am keeping my word,” the Representative told us.

Pacific Governor’s Controversial Executive Order

Is the Pacific really that bad off?

San Francisco, California - Last night, in the middle of the night, the Governor of the Pacific announced that he had decried an executive order reducing the seats in the Pacific Council from 5 to 3. This comes has only two candidates have announced for the seats, all be it write-in candidates. “No one is running, all the good active Pacificans are trying to go to Nyman or are already there. The home store needs watchin’ too!” a Pacific Council watcher told us. “At least we can fill our seats,” a staffer at the Althing was overheard saying. A hold over from the Wolfentoad days, Executive Orders carry the weight of law and so there for, from the information provided to us by legal advisors, the move is legal, although like everything, that will be scrutinized by Atlasians at large. Some are claiming that the order violates the constitutional amending process We watch for public reaction and will try to continue the story as it progresses.

National News

Tomorrow is Election Day!

Candidates wrap up their campaign.

Rapid City, Vitality- Atlasia goes to the polls tomorrow to vote for the At-Large Senate seats. The Pacific also will be electing its regional government tomorrow. Here is a quick look at who is running.
At-Large Senate
1.   NE Lt. Governor Goldwater, Federalist from Delaware
2.   Former Pacific Councillor Flo, Progressive Union from Alaska
3.   Senator Tmthforu94, Federalist from Harmony (Kansas)
4.   ME Assemblyman Mr. X, Labor from Ohio
5.   Fmr. ME Assemblyman Shua, Democratic-Republican from Virginia
6.   NE Representative Tallyrand, Labor from Maine
7.   ME Assemblyman Sibboleth, Cultural Marxist from West Virginia
For Pacific Governor
1.   Governor PJ, Progressive Union from Oregon
Pacific Council (write in only)
Write-in: Pacific Councilor DemPGH, Progressive Union of Oregon
Write-in: Senator Xahar, NM-AM of California

Debate watch: Candidates move to answering questions.

Regional reform first question asked.

Rapid City, Vitality - The Savannah debate continues as debaters move on to questions. The first question was from the Moderator, Bluster’s own Senator Maxwell. He asked about regional reform and how to improve the government. Flo was first to answer saying he supported a 3 region, 12 Senator Approach and keeping the cabinet as currently configured. Mr. X said “simply showing up to vote” would help make the government function better. He also came out and supported the Duke plan. Senator Tmthforu94 supports the Nix plan. Talleyrand said apathy is the biggest problem, he touted his old idea of 6 regional senators, 6 at-large, 3 regions but would support the Duke plan. Goldwater said regional reform would not increase turnout, he called for a shift from number of regions to the powers the regions have, and he calls for an increase in powers for regions.  Shua said the senate should represent the people and end the partisanship, he said regional reform was not a major issue.
The next question the moderator asked was first priority in the Senate.
Tmthforu94: Regional reform and human trafficking
Mr. X: Regional Reform, crime legislation, and Education
Shua: return education powers to regional and local governments and ending mandatory minimums
Various audience questions were asked but very little response was given to those. The question from Averroes got the most feedback. For a closer look at what they actually said, a transcript of the debate is available in the debate thread.

Candidate for President, rumor mill suggests JerryArkansas might make a run.

It’s never too early to start talking about possible candidates!

Rapid City, Vitality - A name making it ways around the Mideast political grapevine as a potential candidate for President is JerryArkansas, several analysts and Pres watchers have told The Record-Courier that the Independent from West Virginia is seriously, although quietly, looking at a run. “These are just rumors, but we keep hearing the same rumor over and over again. Something so consistent may not be a rumor,” one Nyman politico told us. “It would be really interesting to see how he polls, we see so many polls out already on the subject,” another Mideast political analyst told us. Rumor or not, we will try to follow the story.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »

We are starting a polling Division of the Paper. RC Polls They will be on the papers thread.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »

I'm on the poll? Why?
GAworth
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »

Because why not? You have been on the tip of everyone's tongue after the Napoleon Senate Vacancy.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »

Cinci/snowguy:  This time, I'm on top.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »

Just wanted to say that the amount of work you've put into this is quite impressive. Keep it up! If you ever want to interview someone like me, I'm open to that possibility.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »

Just wanted to say that the amount of work you've put into this is quite impressive. Keep it up! If you ever want to interview someone like me, I'm open to that possibility.

I will certainly keep you in mind. Thank you sir!
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 12:20:03 AM »

This is my favorite newspaper. Smiley Keep up the wonderful work!
GAworth
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 01:16:03 AM »

This is my favorite newspaper. Smiley Keep up the wonderful work!
Thank you Spamage, and wonderful speech. I will include it in the paper either tomorrow or the next day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies