SENATE BILL: Party Affiliation Equality Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:16:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Party Affiliation Equality Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Party Affiliation Equality Act (Failed)  (Read 1646 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:16:09 AM »
« edited: December 15, 2013, 05:53:40 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Spiral
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:18:08 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to start advocating for this.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:57:12 AM »

I think it's the case all too often in real life and possibly in Atlasia as well that people go to the voting booth, not entirely informed about where candidates stand on specific things, and find the name of the party they associate with and go with that person. I'd like to change that so it doesn't happen. This proposal would get rid of explicitly labeling candidates by party in federal elections. Ultimately, this is about taking the initiative so that our voters can try to become more knowledgeable on their elections, and so we reduce the power of partisanship.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:40:30 AM »

The political parties play such a key role in keeping this game together, which makes me hesitant to weaken them so much. I will certainly be watching this debate unfold, however.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »

A voice from the gallery notes that the parties were here before anything else.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »

The political parties play such a key role in keeping this game together, which makes me hesitant to weaken them so much. I will certainly be watching this debate unfold, however.
The parties wouldn't be significantly weakened the way you're thinking of it. By all measures, they still freely exist, they field their candidates, they rally their troops, and candidates would still be affiliated with the party of their choosing as a citizen and in office. I don't see it as essential to recognize the party differences on the ballot, however, because if we assume that the people motivated enough to vote have a good idea of where their choices stand on the issues, then what is the justification for labeling by party outright given everything else I just stated?

I'd also like to make a point to those who sympathize with regional rights that this standard would only apply to federal elections. The regions would still be as free as ever to decide whether or not they acknowledge parties. Currently, the Mideast does not for Assembly elections as one example, although the Northeast does.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 12:41:54 AM »

I am opposed to this act. Parties deserve recognition on our ballots.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 01:47:28 AM »

I am rather undecided on this at the moment. As to the proposed benefits are we certain this would have the effect stated or would it just be the case that people rely more heavily on instructions provided to them by machine bosses?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »

The zombies, the sort of people this bill is aimed against, only go into the booth on the account of a PM telling them who to vote for. Basically their mind is made up before they see the ballot.

Just a side note, very few people actually copy out the SOFE's ballot and put in their preferences- most just write out who they want to vote for- so even the listing on the ballot isn't that important.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 12:29:21 PM »

With all due respect to the sponsor, both of this amendment and several others, I think we are spending too much time in this chamber discussing constitutional amendments that will have little or no impact on Atlasia.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »

With all due respect to the sponsor, both of this amendment and several others, I think we are spending too much time in this chamber discussing constitutional amendments that will have little or no impact on Atlasia.

Yeah, we should debate important things, like destroying the public education system with vouchers, or clones. Roll Eyes
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »

I agree with the intent of this amendment, but I'm not sure I can support this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »

Yeah, we should debate important things, like destroying the public education system with vouchers, or clones. Roll Eyes
Don't you have something better to do? Your little act of attacking me at every point possible has gone stale.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »

Don't you have something better to do? Your little act of attacking me at every point possible has gone stale.

Your little act of pretending to be the avatar of all that is good and right in this game went stale a long, long time ago buddy.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 10:51:36 PM »

Your little act of pretending to be the avatar of all that is good and right in this game went stale a long, long time ago buddy.
Good Dave you're arrogant. Seriously, find a new hobby. No one finds you amusing. You could provide a lot of good to this game if you actually acted in a respectful way.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:18 PM »

TNF, get a life. Thanks.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 11:05:21 PM »

This is an imaginary deliberative body, so demands to "get a life" fall rather flat.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 11:11:53 PM »

I've lost all faith in the senate.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 11:21:51 PM »

Instead of attacking each other, lets talk about the bill at hand.

Now I'm undecided because I think all parties should be represented, but it also offers the chance for candidates to make a pitch for their votes, not their party.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 01:20:59 AM »

The Senate as an institution seems to have become a respository for anger at the actions of its members yet everything it does is a reflection of the cumulative actions on the part of all ten of its members. Since they are elected as individuals, perhaps it would be more effective in terms of correcting that, to focus such accordingly.

The average approval for the Senators is 68%, with a wide gulf between the bottom three and the other seven (who are at 70% and up), yet the institution itself is at 33%.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 01:22:42 AM »

Instead of attacking each other, lets talk about the bill at hand.

Now I'm undecided because I think all parties should be represented, but it also offers the chance for candidates to make a pitch for their votes, not their party.

I think bore makes a good point though. The less activies, the ones most prone to be party oriented, rarely copy and paste the ballot and instead just put the candidates down minus the labels anyways.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »

Some numbers on the matter from the last election or two could help also.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 02:16:30 AM »

I am entirely undecided on this amendment at the moment. I guess I would err on the side of the status quo in such a case, but I could be swayed fully one way or another.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 02:21:16 AM »

The Senate as an institution seems to have become a respository for anger at the actions of its members yet everything it does is a reflection of the cumulative actions on the part of all ten of its members. Since they are elected as individuals, perhaps it would be more effective in terms of correcting that, to focus such accordingly.

The average approval for the Senators is 68%, with a wide gulf between the bottom three and the other seven (who are at 70% and up), yet the institution itself is at 33%.
Apologies, I was mad at a certain group of senators who are in the minority of this body.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 02:44:20 AM »

Apologies, I was mad at a certain group of senators who are in the minority of this body.

Apologies are not in order, man. What is needed is tactical reflection. We want the Senate to be something iti s not, "is our current approach best for that or should we find a more effective means to do it?"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies