Republican Party confused about what Rosa Parks did
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 01:26:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republican Party confused about what Rosa Parks did
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Republican Party confused about what Rosa Parks did  (Read 3604 times)
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »

Via The Atlantic Wire

Rosa Park's actions led to the Montgomery bus boycott, which helped erect legal barriers to discrimination (which is an active manifestation of racism).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But go on telling us all how proud you are that Rosa Parks "ended racism." Rosa Parks never had any kids, but if she did, you'd be demanding to see their photo IDs before letting them vote. But that's okay because racism doesn't exist anymore! Never mind all those crazy white people shooting black people for no justifiable reason. Never mind all the hatred towards our black president. And then talk about how the existence of national debt is exactly like the fact that Rosa Parks' ancestors were bought and sold like cattle. Give yourselves a not-at-all-racist pat on the back, Republicans.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:57:06 AM »

Via The Atlantic Wire

Rosa Park's actions led to the Montgomery bus boycott, which helped erect legal barriers to discrimination (which is an active manifestation of racism).

But go on telling us all how proud you are that Rosa Parks "ended racism." Rosa Parks never had any kids, but if she did, you'd be demanding to see their photo IDs before letting them vote. But that's okay because racism doesn't exist anymore! Never mind all those crazy white people shooting black people for no justifiable reason. Never mind all the hatred towards our black president. And then talk about how the existence of national debt is exactly like the fact that Rosa Parks' ancestors were bought and sold like cattle. Give yourselves a not-at-all-racist pat on the back, Republicans.
I just hope you are being sarcastic with what you wrote.

No I agree that Rosa Parks didn't stop racism though.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:03:41 AM »

'Reminds me of what Bobby Jindal said: racism will go away if we just don't talk about it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 02:18:22 AM »

Of course Rosa Parks had a role in ending racism. Racism isn't a single thing, it exists in many different forms.  She didn't single-handedly end all racism for all time, but that's a ridiculous bar to demand of someone to say they had "a role in ending racism."  That's like saying there shouldn't be any Nobel Peace Prizes since there are still wars going on.  The "correction" they put forward lessens her contribution - she didn't just have a role in fighting for something, she had a role in actually accomplishing it.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:27:48 AM »

Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:37:15 AM »

Racism is still here and I would like to hear someone's argument that racism has ended.

I want to know why they think racism is over.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:27:30 AM »

Racism is still here and I would like to hear someone's argument that racism has ended.

I want to know why they think racism is over.

Because white people aren't lynching blacks in droves anymore, therefore racism can't exist. Obviously.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »

Your point being?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 02:14:56 PM »

I'm sure the private GOP line would be something along the lines of labeling her an 'uppity negress'
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »

I'm sure the private GOP line would be something along the lines of labeling her an 'uppity negress'

Are you listening in on their calls?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 02:41:28 PM »

Via The Atlantic Wire

I just hope you are being sarcastic with what you wrote.

No I agree that Rosa Parks didn't stop racism though.

How is that sarcastic?  None of what he said is untrue about a significant portion of GOPers today.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 02:43:07 PM »

Everyone knows that, especially with Obama's election, the only racism that still exists is that directed against white people.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 02:54:37 PM »

The title was a little long so I changed it on my post.  More accurate on a day to day basis.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »

Wait? So Rosa Parks is suddenly NOT a hero now because Republicans recognized her? Just because things got a little worse in the short term does not mean that Parks didn't have an impact.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »

Wait? So Rosa Parks is suddenly NOT a hero now because Republicans recognized her? Just because things got a little worse in the short term does not mean that Parks didn't have an impact.
I think the OP is upset because the picture mentions "ending racism" and racism still exists.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »

I think the OP is upset because the picture mentions "ending racism" and racism still exists.
I understand that-the error was clearly in wording. "Ending segregation" is the better way to put it. This was the quote I took issue with.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:15 PM »

No -- the GOP tried to co-opt her for a cause that can questionably linked to her.  It is as if the GOP said "In the name of Martin Luther King, Jr, let us cut taxes."
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »

C'mon, give people a little leeway in how they express themselves. I'm sure by ending racism what they mean't was helping to end the state backed practice of official segregation, and the institutionalised racism that went with it. In that sense, yes, she was part of the cause that help end open, official racism, and I assume that's what they mean.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 04:48:10 PM »

No -- the GOP tried to co-opt her for a cause that can questionably linked to her.  It is as if the GOP said "In the name of Martin Luther King, Jr, let us cut taxes."
Except they aren't using her name for a political cause like tax cuts, all they're doing is acknowledging her contributions. I mean, it's fine to criticize their policies, but I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with this image.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »

This outrage is stupid.  They said she had a 'role' in ending racism; they didn't specify that goal had been achieved yet.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »

The tweet doesn't say that she "ended racism" as you say it does.  But nice try twisting the facts, as usual.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2013, 06:14:49 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Tin-eared white people at it again in this thread.

It's outrageous to think that the Civil Rights movement was about "ending racism", it was about dismantling structural barriers that created a racial caste system. Only a fool would think that racism can be ended or eradicated, especially when we have a incarceration system that systematically imprisons African-American men and a state of political discourse that allows racial caricatures to be deployed whenever necessary.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »

It's outrageous to think that the Civil Rights movement was about "ending racism", it was about dismantling structural barriers that created a racial caste system. Only a fool would think that racism can be ended or eradicated, especially when we have a incarceration system that systematically imprisons African-American men and a state of political discourse that allows racial caricatures to be deployed whenever necessary.
When will you admit that you’re a Latino supremacist?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2013, 07:37:45 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I take you understand nothing about race. How can one be a Latino supremacist? Militant chicanos are no fans of cubans, cubans hate dirty communist chicanos, chicanos might crack a few jokes about blacks etc.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2013, 07:46:35 PM by Accidental IDS Legislator Sanchez »

And now you get to join the ranks of such luminaries as Kitteh, who instead of being able to post reasoned responses, post memes. It’s rather annoying when one tells me I cannot discuss an issue only due to the color of my skin and my perceived social standing. Since you’re clearly nothing more than a pretentious La Raza activist who is still stuck on the “white people cannot talk race” kick, I won’t bother to respond to the second paragraph of your post, however valid your second paragraph may have been.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies