Hillary's Weakness in the West
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:46:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary's Weakness in the West
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Assuming a reasonably close election, what is the most Democratic western state that Hillary Clinton would lose against a generic Republican?
Colorado (D+1)

Nevada (D+2)

New Mexico (D+4)

Oregon (D+5)

Washington (D+5)

California (D+9)

Hawaii (D+20)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Hillary's Weakness in the West  (Read 2431 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »

To what extent would Hillary's weakness in the west hurt her electoral prospects?
JRP1994

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »

So far, yes, Colorado appears to be a poor state for her. I wonder if that would manifest itself in bluer (Atlas redder) states?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »

Obviously Colorado, but her weakness in the west won't be too damaging. The rest of the states mentioned are not very likely to flip, Nevada is shifting D very quickly, New Mexico is surely a lean-D state now, the rest aren't in play.
JRP1994

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »

Obviously Colorado, but her weakness in the west won't be too damaging. The rest of the states mentioned are not very likely to flip, Nevada is shifting D very quickly, New Mexico is surely a lean-D state now, the rest aren't in play.

That's certainly true.

* Just a point of clarification for everyone: I'm not asking WHICH state she would be most LIKELY to lose, I'm asking what would be the GOP's "high water mark" in the west against her.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »

Nevada, if Martinez is on the ticket... otherwise just Colorado
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »

Colorado. With the right ticket, Nevada and even *crosses fingers* New Mexico could down too.

Oregon is tough, and I think it will only go in a blow-out/near blow-out against Hillary, which will be extremely difficult considering her sheer name recognition.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 09:45:21 PM »

With the right ticket and circumstances, I could see the Republicans winning Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico against her. It would take a much weaker Democrat for them to win Oregon or anything higher.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »

She's going to have to work for Colorado. The others she doesn't really need to campaign in; if she does, it means she's in trouble. Except maybe Nevada, because fundraising.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 11:34:21 PM »

Colorado, but let's be clear. Obama's  divisive and polarizing nature is bringing her numbers down.

I believe the Democrats overreached on2nd amendment in Colorado.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »

Even with a great ticket, I don't think New Mexico will go republican against Clinton. Maybe against a generic democrat.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »

Colorado 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »

Doesn't she (for some reason, I'm not too familiar just yet) poll badly in Colorado? I've seen people here go on about how she's not a good fit for the state.

I'm not sure what the reason is. I feel that there's a Put Together vs. Not Put Together divide in this country, and the Clintons and Colorado fall on opposite sides of it.

In other words, there is a whole arc of states from Kansas (and everything to Kansas's north and West, until the coast) going up through Iowa, then east to Indiana, then jumping north to Vermont, that behaves similarly politically. They were all traditionally Republican states in the 19th century. These are the Put Together states. You see good health outcomes, low smoking rates, low obesity, low poverty, etc.

And then there are not Not Put Together states. Draw a line from middle Texas to western Oklahoma, then northeast to St. Louis, then up along the Ohio River through southwestern Pennsylvania. Everything to the east and south of this line is Not Put Togethers. These areas traditionally voted Democratic. You see poor health outcomes, higher smoking, higher poverty, etc. The Clintons fall squarely on the Not Put Together side.

Obama, strangely enough, falls on the Put Together side even though he's a Democrat. You can see it in his reputation for "staying cool", his mother's Ph.D pedigree, his own Harvard pedigree, the tone of his books, his moderate politics, the themes of his campaigns, and so on. It's very uptight. You can see how he appealed to Idaho Republicans who turned out 20,000 strong to see him in a mass rally in January 2008.
DS0816
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »

None of them.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »

Nevada. Nevada is a possibility, Colorado is an obvious one where she is weak. But she can't really lose New Mexico and beyond IMO.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »

Really?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/politics/poll-christie-leads-clinton-in-colorado-in-2016-presidental-race
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »

If Florida has a D+ PVI it won't matter in the end. I think Colorado is winnable for Hillary but obviously it will take resources. Add 4-5 points to her polls there too to adjust for 1) the fact they poll a midterm electorate, 2) CO polls natural GOP bias
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »

I guess technically the GOP CAN win without Florida, just very unlikely. If you give the GOP candidate Colorado, Iowa, Virginia, Wisconsin and New Hampshire it still leaves him 4 electoral votes short at 266. Of course Pennsylvania would be a top target but that's another state Hillary clearly would be stronger in than Obama relatively. Add to that, Virginia trending D...Christie could make gains with whites in NoVA but it's tough to see any of the others. NC could also be a GOP problem, like northern FL many parts of it have maxed out with GOP white voters and even a slight swing of rural voters to Hillary would win it.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 01:46:55 AM »

Hillary Clinton will take a page from Rick Perry, if his hipster glasses make up for his dumbass problem, then this will take care of Hillary's weakness in the West.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »

why are we presuming a Hillary weakness in the West?  2008 primary results?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 05:47:52 AM »

A lot of polling has her doing better in the South and North than out West.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 06:27:46 AM »

A lot of polling has her doing better in the South and North than out West.

We haven't actually seen much polling of the West.  Among Western states, it's really just Colorado where we've seen a significant Republican swing show up in the polling.  In the Christie vs. Clinton polls, we also see a swing against Clinton in the North.  In fact, in general, we see the Democratic states swinging Republican, and vice versa.  Here's the Christie vs. Clinton swing map I put together, using the most recent polls for each state, and comparing against the 2012 results:

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »

Barack Obama, whatever his virtues, is very polarizing. Maybe that is because he reminds many Americans of... well, you know. We need look at how completely the white vote went against Barack Obama in the Deep South.  So President Obama did freakishly well in some parts of America and unusually badly -- as bad as McGovern did in some states, which is really bad -- in some others.

We need to see more polls in the West other than in Montana and Colorado. Both states might show a swinging-back of the political pendulum. But so could Arkansas and Louisiana. 

CubanoTX
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »

If Florida has a D+ PVI it won't matter in the end. I think Colorado is winnable for Hillary but obviously it will take resources. Add 4-5 points to her polls there too to adjust for 1) the fact they poll a midterm electorate, 2) CO polls natural GOP bias

GOP bias PPP has more polls then anyone and there a dem bias all the way
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

GOP bias PPP has more polls then anyone and there a dem bias all the way

PPP had the most accurate polls in the 2012 election, so I wouldn't really call it a bias as much as they are right on the money.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »

PPP had the most accurate polls in the 2012 election, so I wouldn't really call it a bias as much as they are right on the money.

I don't think so:

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies