1968: LBJ vs. Goldwater (rematch)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:29:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: LBJ vs. Goldwater (rematch)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: LBJ vs. Goldwater (rematch)  (Read 3054 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »

In 1968, President Johnson runs for a third (second full) term and is nominated by the Democrats, as the only remaining reval at the DNC Eugene McCarthy is defeated by the incumbent president.

Meanwhile, Richard Nixon stays out of politics and Barry Goldwater runs again. He defeats Gov. Nelson Rockefeller at the RNC by a very close margin. So on November 5, 1968 there is a rematch of the 1964 election. How is it turning out? Maps? VP choices?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:02 AM »

Does George Wallace still run or does he endorse Barry Goldwater?
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »

Goldwater would expand his electoral count and support in the South for sure still over the expansion of Civil Rights and he would most likely win a handful of states out west like Idaho and Kansas that he came close to winning in 1964. However, Johnson would still win comfortably. I don't think the Vietnam War would be as big of a part as it played in 1968 though because the war was still not viewed completely negatively yet by that point and Goldwater was pro-nukes, so the image of RFK could have resulted in LBJ holding on. With Wallace, he would just hurt Goldwater even more so no real need to do that map.

Johnson/Humphrey - 385 EVs
Goldwater/Miller- 153 EVs

Just for the record to, I have no idea where we get the pre-2010 maps, so I'm just using the current ones.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »

Goldwater would expand his electoral count and support in the South for sure still over the expansion of Civil Rights and he would most likely win a handful of states out west like Idaho and Kansas that he came close to winning in 1964. However, Johnson would still win comfortably. I don't think the Vietnam War would be as big of a part as it played in 1968 though because the war was still not viewed completely negatively yet by that point and Goldwater was pro-nukes, so the image of RFK could have resulted in LBJ holding on. With Wallace, he would just hurt Goldwater even more so no real need to do that map.

Johnson/Humphrey - 385 EVs
Goldwater/Miller- 153 EVs

Just for the record to, I have no idea where we get the pre-2010 maps, so I'm just using the current ones.

Here's how it would look with the 1968 map:

President Lyndon Johnson (D-TX)/Vice-President Hubert Himphrey (D-MN): 410 Electoral Votes
Former Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ)/Former Congressman William Miller (R-NY): 128 Electoral Votes

For further reference, you can pick any electoral map going back to 1789 under the EVC tap. In addition, you can color the states in different shades to show what percentage of the vote in each state a candidate would have received.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies