Nate Silver to launch new 538.com
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:09:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Nate Silver to launch new 538.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nate Silver to launch new 538.com  (Read 402 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »

Will be based on ESPN, but will still have articles devoted to politics

Some staff members have already been announced. Micah Cohen will return, but 538 will now also have regular concern-troll Harry Enten of The Guardian as well.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »

I don't get why he's moving to sports.  He succeeded at politics because pundits were too dumb to read polls.  Sports journalism has long accepted stats as fact and there's a ton of advanced stats for all major sports.

There's no niche for him there.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 12:40:41 AM »

I don't get why he's moving to sports.  He succeeded at politics because pundits were too dumb to read polls.  Sports journalism has long accepted stats as fact and there's a ton of advanced stats for all major sports.

I believe it's going to be 1/3 sports, 1/3 politics and 1/3 economics, all with the mathematical/statistical angle.  He probably won't break much new ground on the sports side, but he can at least present it in a cool, interesting package that makes me go there instead of Fangraphs or whatever.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:13:46 AM »

1. He prefers sports
2. Sports will draw more people to his election stuff
3. Sports journalism is worse than political coverage believe it or not
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:40:47 AM »

I hope Fox Sports One tries to compete and hires Dick Morris to unskew the batting averages.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 01:50:19 AM »

I hope Fox Sports One tries to compete and hires Dick Morris to unskew the batting averages.

I'm sure Dick predicts the Dallas Cowboys to beat the Buffalo Bills in the SuperBowl every year, as it was when he victoriously helped Bill Clinton become President.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 02:21:44 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2013, 04:03:20 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I'm sure Dick predicts the Dallas Cowboys to beat the Buffalo Bills in the SuperBowl every year, as it was when he victoriously helped Bill Clinton become President.

Dick Morris will probably predict that the Washington Generals will win the next 20 games.

It's not any crazier than declaring Arkansas safe Obama.

The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 02:33:46 AM »

1. He prefers sports

I still think sports journalism on the whole is better than political coverage. You have your Skip Baylesses out there but sabermetrics is widely accepted, guys like John Hollinger have broken into front offices in the NBA and Football Outsiders/KC Joyner are regularly featured on ESPN. Even after the 2012 election you don't see any quant types in political news coverage at all.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 03:19:29 AM »

1. He prefers sports

I still think sports journalism on the whole is better than political coverage. You have your Skip Baylesses out there but sabermetrics is widely accepted, guys like John Hollinger have broken into front offices in the NBA and Football Outsiders/KC Joyner are regularly featured on ESPN. Even after the 2012 election you don't see any quant types in political news coverage at all.

I don't know. Sports journalism is secnd tier. For example, Keith Olbermann tried to make it in the world of politics and couldn't hang, now he's back to sports. You can tell Bob Costas and others wish they could show their political side more.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 04:02:35 AM »

Nate Silver didn't come close to the same success he's had with politics in sports, so I assume he might give it a go. PECOTA (Silver's projection system) was simply overmatched by ZiPS (Dan Szymborski's projection system), and neither have the correlative strength that Silver displayed politically. I'd daresay that projecting sports is much harder than politics, and there's much more gain to be made there.

However, it's most certainly true that quantitative politics doesn't have the same place in society sabermetrics does.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies