Which of these should I do (part 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:55:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which of these should I do (part 2)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: you guys are gonna end up hating me but
Stay-in state for college (see description about this before voting)

Go out of state for college (see description)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Which of these should I do (part 2)  (Read 566 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »

Okay so clearly i'm not moving to Canada lmao f--k immigration laws

So, I want to go to college in New England. I really do. The big problem is out of state tuition. I'd rather not pay 17 grand to go to college out of state.

But on the other hand, I really don't want to go to school in Pennsylvania. Partially because of my harsh dislike for the Keystone State. Moreover, after some research, I have found that out of the 3 or 4 schools in state that I moderately like, they all have glaring flaws such as not offering majors that I am seeking to take, having a low acceptance rate, expecting a GPA higher than the one I have, not having certain organizations, etc

So help me out

Tmth suggested that if I do go out of state, that I defer for a year so as to not lose out on scholarships.

Growing up sucks.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »

You can probably find a college that you like, and not pay an arm and a leg.  You haven't looked hard enough.  And yeah, try to get scholarships, grants, financial aid, whatever.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 10:21:47 PM »

17k debt would be the deciding factor for me.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:49:31 PM »

Stay in-state and save some money.  You really don't want to incur any more student debt than you absolutely have to. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:57:22 PM »

Depending on one's major, one can sometimes attend an out of state school at in-state rates.  They generally need to be majors not found on every college campus tho, as the intent is to allow you to pay in-state rates while partaking of a major not offered at any in-state school, and IIRC you expressed interest in education and journalism, which likely wouldn't make the cut.  Still, if you are determined to go out of state for school and are willing to be flexible in your major, those programs might be worth looking into.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 11:35:40 PM »

Move to the state you want to go to Uni at and then enroll at the local community college for a year (or two)?  Seems like that would solve a lot of your problems.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 12:12:21 AM »

Your dislike of the entire state combined with an inexplicable obsession with New Jersey (particularly South Jersey, which is basically the same thing as where you live in PA) is sort of immature and is blocking you from options that are far easier to pay. Go to a school in state, as I fully intend to.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 12:26:16 AM »

Okay, I don't know where your hatred of the state you've ostensibly managed to survive in for a while is coming from, but would it kill you to go to Penn State, graduate, then give PA a big middle finger and go start your life elsewhere with minimal student debt?

If you're writing off Pennsylvania entirely, I don't really understand why you're dead set on New England. The public universities in that region really aren't great, with the exception of UConn and maybe University of Vermont.

You seem to want to be in a more "liberal" place than the environment you're currently in, but the reality is that even universities in stereotypically conservative places tend to be left-leaning or at least have no shortage of people of that disposition. Unless you're going to Bob Jones or Liberty or Patrick Henry College, you're going to find Democrats, you're going to find LGBT people, you're going to find every kind of unconventional/alternative lifestyle/viewpoint you could think of. I went to a Baptist university in Texas and we still had Prius-driving liberals and fair trade fundamentalists and I once had a bizarre discussion with my friend's Ethiopian Marxist roommate who believed the British monarchy needed to be overthrown.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2013, 09:48:38 AM by Big Wiggly Style »

Again, a deciding factor for the school I pick is not the politics of the region. I want to make that clear.

I should really re-phrase and say that I don't hate all of PA (mostly because I've never been very far out west) but I really hate where I live. Even going to Temple would cost about 13 grand a year. My top 2 PA choices would be Indiana University of Pennsylvania and Millersville University (ayy sawx hmu) but neither of those are really drop-dead good choices. I'll keep looking, but this is really getting difficult.

EDIT: I just happened to stumble upon Clarion University, which is in PA. Low in-state tuition, plus it has both the major I want to take and both of my choices for minors (albeit it's general psychology, not social psychology boo hiss)

So maybe I have an in-state option.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »

Your dislike of the entire state combined with an inexplicable obsession with New Jersey (particularly South Jersey, which is basically the same thing as where you live in PA) is sort of immature and is blocking you from options that are far easier to pay. Go to a school in state, as I fully intend to.

Snowstalker actually said something of value. You're likely over-thinking this, in all reality, especially considering how you're probably making every possible issue with college political and cultural.
Foucaulf
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »

I'll use the same method as last time: break down your "glaring flaws".

not offering majors that I am seeking to take

Maybe you're still set on the journo/education path. In that case, there are schools that do offer it that still falls far below needs (do they get you internships/work experience?) Here my bias is showing, but if you want to go to college you could consider studying a more rigorous major, pick up skills in other courses and work for certificates or connections once you're done.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The solution everyone will tell you to do here is to go to community college first, take gen ed requirements and then transfer. Your choice, but do not think you're shut out of a higher tier forever.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You're going to have to elaborate on this. Can't you start a branch?

And I get that you don't like where you live. I hope you can nonetheless look at colleges and see what kind of community it fosters and whether you'll fit. I study right by Chicago, but I don't even get many chances to see the city: too busy going to student activities and gatherings, locked up in the basement doing math homework, etc. Maybe you'll shift your priorities as well.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »

A few things to consider:

Your major doesn't really matter when it comes to the humanities and social sciences.

Going to class, drinking watery beer at a house party, studying in a library, smoking a joint in the stairwell of your freshman dorm, etc AKA most of your college activity is not location specific.  You could be in any state in the country and college life won't vary that much. 

If you're really thinking about location, consider where area will have useful internships.  Maybe if you like politics and journalism, go to school near Harrisburg so you can intern at the state capitol.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 03:03:10 PM »

IUP and Millersville are probably the best choices for an education major. Over here at Millersville we have a great education program (no idea about journalism though), plus you have connections with me. You'd fit in well with my friends.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »

IUP and Millersville are probably the best choices for an education major. Over here at Millersville we have a great education program (no idea about journalism though), plus you have connections with me. You'd fit in well with my friends.

My only real motivation to go to Millersville would be the education program and to hang out with you tbh. Their GPA expectancy is still higher than mine is, however.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »

My only real motivation to go to Millersville would be the education program and to hang out with you tbh. Their GPA expectancy is still higher than mine is, however.

If your SAT scores are high enough you have a good chance of getting in. I slacked in high school but I ended up getting in solely because of a 1910 on my SAT.

I admittedly haven't heard much about Clarion though.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »

Have you looked at Pitt or CMU?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 06:31:23 AM »

Pitt's too expensive and CMU¿?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 11:48:49 AM »

CMU = Carnegie-Mellon University, and its way, way, way too expensive.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 12:05:51 PM »

The more important question: What is this ¿?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »

CMU = Carnegie-Mellon University, and its way, way, way too expensive.

Ah I see.

The more important question: What is this ¿?

It's something I've been doing a lot lately idk why
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies