Are you surprised last night's South Park was nonsensical Left-wing trash?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:25:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Are you surprised last night's South Park was nonsensical Left-wing trash?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are you surprised last night's South Park was nonsensical Left-wing trash?  (Read 1447 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:24:46 AM »

No, I'm not surprised, but I wonder if the same people will deny that South Park is (at least on the balance) NOT a right-wing-oriented show.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 02:44:00 AM »

I haven't seen the episode in question but I was under the impression that the show had a Libertarian bent more than anything else.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 02:53:53 AM »

If anything, yeah.  Really they just make fun of things that they think need to be made fun of.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 04:25:28 AM »

How was it left wing?

It was about Xbox and PS?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »

How was it left wing?

It was about Xbox and PS?
It hit pretty hard at unbridled capitalism.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »

Haven't watched it yet, but criticism of unbridled capitalism is a pretty mainstream position -- few libertarians and conservatives actually advocate a 100% free market.

Not really comparable to "LULZ exchange website is glitchy therefore Obamacare is permanently a complete utter failure and any government involvement in health care is always awful and anyone who disagrees is an idiot!!!"
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »

I'm watching it right now and it's literally not even intentionally commenting on consumerism. It's about people who go overboard on black friday and Game of Thrones and console wars.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »

I'm watching it right now and it's literally not even intentionally commenting on consumerism. It's about people who go overboard on black friday and Game of Thrones and console wars.

C'mon Carl Tongue
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »

C'mon Carl Tongue

Calling people who "murder" other people on black friday in a rush to buy their crap =/= condemning consumerism. Matt and Trey are very much capitalists.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 12:11:54 AM »

Not really comparable to "LULZ exchange website is glitchy therefore Obamacare is permanently a complete utter failure and any government involvement in health care is always awful and anyone who disagrees is an idiot!!!"
Except that's not what they were doing and you know it.  Plus LOTS of people that make jokes at current events have been bashing THE EXACT SAME THING.  Did you watch SNL two weeks ago?  Is SNL now nonsensical Right wing trash?

C'mon Carl Tongue

Calling people who "murder" other people on black friday in a rush to buy their crap =/= condemning consumerism.
Condemning no, pointing out negative aspects of it, yes quite.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Of course, but they can also acknowledge faults with it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 01:03:15 AM »

Except that's not what they were doing and you know it.  Plus LOTS of people that make jokes at current events have been bashing THE EXACT SAME THING.  Did you watch SNL two weeks ago?  Is SNL now nonsensical Right wing trash?

SNL said that the government CANNOT provide health care at all, or that the glitchy Exchange website is proof that that it CANNOT work, period?  Of course they didn't.  But South Park made those exact points, and "you know it."

Of course not.  It's really not that hard to see the different in poking fun at a website that doesn't work very well and using said website to make a larger political point about why the government should not be involved in health care, period.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 01:18:55 AM »

SNL said that the government CANNOT provide health care at all, or that the glitchy Exchange website is proof that that it CANNOT work, period?  Of course they didn't.  But South Park made those exact points, and "you know it."
No, they didn't.  Near the end of the episode when the Canadian guy returns to his wife he says he was wrong for trying to streamline the Canadian healthcase system into a slick online "portal" (or whatever verbage he used, I'm at work and can't watch the episode right now) and expect it to go smoothly and that Canadians will soon be getting the right medication again.  Maybe I missed it, I suppose it's possible, but where do they say govt run healthcare can't work, period?  Maybe it was extra subtle?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »

Did we watch a different episode?  The episode was 100% clearly in the camp that due to glitchy website, "government health care," be it Canadian or Obamacare, cannot work, period.  I don't know how anyone could have reached a different conclusion.  Every review I read, every comment on every review, picked up on that.  You're the only one I've heard of who interpreted it different.

Also, I just watched Wednesday's episode, and it wasn't remotely political.  I realize you were mostly just spoofing me instead of making a serious point, but there was nothing liberal/anti-capitalist about it.  Sure enough, no reviews nor comments on reviews mentioned anything about how South Park was skewering capitalism.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »

what episode was this with the healthcare website thing? I wanna watch and reach my own opinion then vociferously take sides in this argument
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »

what episode was this with the healthcare website thing? I wanna watch and reach my own opinion then vociferously take sides in this argument

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taming_Strange
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »

At least the last two episodes have been entertaining.

The first five were garbage and this is overall one of the worst seasons yet... Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »

These last two and the Zimmerman episode have been the only good ones.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »

Even if South Park is left wing 49% of the time and right wing 51% of the time, that still makes it a right wing TV show and far to the left of most TV shows. Why on Earth would I watch right leaning filth when I can watch left wing propaganda like Family Guy or The Daily Show?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »

Even if South Park is left wing 49% of the time and right wing 51% of the time, that still makes it a right wing TV show and far to the left of most TV shows. Why on Earth would I watch right leaning filth when I can watch left wing propaganda like Family Guy or The Daily Show?

These two shows do not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »

Who cares? The Cartman show hasn't been funny in over a decade.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »

Even if you don't like Family Guy as a show, I don't see how any progressive person can dislike its contribution to progressive politics. Think of all the kids who grow up watching it influenced by Seth's left wing indoctrination. I've met at least one person who said he was mostly apolitical until Family Guy convinced him that conservatives were just f[inks]ing terrible people who had to be stopped whenever possible (close to a direct quote by the way.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »

Even if you don't like Family Guy as a show, I don't see how any progressive person can dislike its contribution to progressive politics. Think of all the kids who grow up watching it influenced by Seth's left wing indoctrination. I've met at least one person who said he was mostly apolitical until Family Guy convinced him that conservatives were just f[inks]ing terrible people who had to be stopped whenever possible (close to a direct quote by the way.)

I'd be happy to explain how a progressive can dislike its contribution to progressive politics, BTRD:

1) Family Guy has never actually made any contribution to progressive politics.

2) Indoctrinating/brainwashing kids into to sharing your views instead of winning on the strength of your ideas is a bad thing (fortunately this is not something that Family Guy has ever been able to pull off in any even remotely meaningful way)

3) Plenty of conservatives are good people who work hard and generally try to do the right thing, but simply don't share your political views.  The fact that you are trying to use whether or not someone shares all of your political views as some kind of moral litmus test reflects poorly on you, not conservatives (though some of them are undoubtedly guilty of doing the same thing).  With all due respect, it suggests that you have a disturbingly black-and-white, tribalistic, and possibly somewhat egocentric worldview.

I hope this helps Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »

Even if an unbelievably, awfully sh*tty show happens to persuade people into adhering to my political beliefs (which, as Mr X says, I highly doubt it does), it would still remain an unbelievably, awfully sh*tty show.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »

Plenty of conservatives are good people who work hard and generally try to do the right thing, but simply don't share your political views.

Speaking of bizarre moral litmuses.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »

Plenty of conservatives are good people who work hard and generally try to do the right thing, but simply don't share your political views.

Speaking of bizarre moral litmuses.

You'd hate my church Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies