Hillary's Many Transformations: A Look Back
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:01:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary's Many Transformations: A Look Back
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hillary's Many Transformations: A Look Back  (Read 2859 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »

Hillary as a young woman.  She described herself as a "heart liberal" and a "mind conservative."  She was a Goldwater Girl who found herself moved leftward over civil rights and Vietnam.

Hillary at college during the late 1960s.  During this turbulent time, she stood by a moderate approach of finding common ground, shunning a more radical approach to activism.  So well-respected at her college for her leadership, her classmates saw in her a possible future President.

She electrified the crowd at her commencement address, giving a speech still talked about today that was picked up by the national mainstream press.

Hillary met Bill Clinton at law school and fell in love with him.  Leaving behind the possibility of a great career for herself in Washington, she chose instead to follow Bill down to Arkansas where he pursued a career in politics.

Bill became Governor (1978-1980, 1982-1992), serving for most of the 1980s, and Hillary was an activist First Lady, specifically on education issues.

Hillary was also a very accomplished lawyer, fighting for women's and children's rights.

When her husband ran for President in 1992, he famously told voters they'd get two for the price of one.  Hillary was a controversial campaign wife.  She promised she would not "stand by her man."  The media questioned whether America was ready for such an outspoken First Lady.  Republicans hated her instantly and made her their favorite target.

Bill put his wife in charge of health care reform.  Hillary led the infamous 1993 health care plan debacle, which hurt her image, which was already polarizing.  The Democrats would lose control of Congress to Republicans.  Hillary changed her role to one of a more traditional First Lady.

Settling into the role of homemaker and wife, her approval ratings improved.  She wrote the bestselling book "It Takes a Village."  Still, she made significant political choices, such as giving a defiant speech in China for women's rights.

Hillary became a very admired woman in America during the Monica scandal.  She continued on with her duties and stayed by her man.  She was a star surrogate for congressional Democrats in 1998.

Hillary carefully created a new persona as a politician herself in 2000, running for the Senate in New York.  It was the first time a First Lady had run for public office.  She won the election, partly by focusing on rural interests upstate and impressing voters with her in-depth knowledge of policy.

As Senator from New York during 9/11 and the War on Terror, Hillary crossed the aisle to work with Republicans, served on the Armed Services Committee, and voted for the Iraq War.  Her voting record on foreign policy would come under attack from the left, especially from anti-war progressives.

Her 2008 presidential campaign was historic and she came close to being the nominee in a competitive and nasty primary fight with Barack Obama.  At first she started out as the front-runner, but then lost ground.  Towards the end, she drew passionate crowds, especially of white working class voters attracted to her message of not giving up.

She served as an able and hard-working Secretary of State for four years.  The Benghazi controversy energized the right, but many people give her sterling reviews as Secretary.

In the coming year 2014, Hillary will release a much-awaited memoir.  She leads all polls for the Democratic nomination in 2016.  If she chooses to run, she has a very good chance of becoming the first woman to be a major party candidate for the Presidency.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2013, 02:23:38 PM by Bacon King »

This is pretty cool. I don't really mind that you give us the same information we got from Wikipedia you decent human being who I respect and admire.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »

Okay.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 08:21:38 PM »

This is inksing stupid. Don't give us the same information we got from Wikipedia you meathead.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »

Wasn't Hillary also a prosecutor against Nixon during Watergate?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:29:17 PM »

Great thread. Thanks for putting it together!
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »

Obvious Clarence bait is obvious.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »

k.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 11:04:26 PM »

To the few people who appreciated this, you're welcome.  To the rest of you... ehh, who cares?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »

Dont know what Bill ever saw in her
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »

To the few people who appreciated this, you're welcome.  To the rest of you... ehh, who cares?

What's there to appreciate?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 11:47:46 PM »

This is inksing stupid. Don't give us the same information we got from Wikipedia you meathead.

Maxwell, I'm disappointed. You're usually so cordial.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »

I love the green suit!! Please bring it back.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 02:21:09 AM »

Goldwater Hillary was the only good Hillary.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 02:22:13 AM »

Sorry, why is this so offensive? If you ask me, it was kind of nice to see it in illustrated snippets. It's also kind of a good picture of the popular peceptions of her through the years.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 02:24:04 AM »

Reading this brought tears to my eyes. What a magnificent woman.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 02:28:01 AM »

Sorry, why is this so offensive? If you ask me, it was kind of nice to see it in illustrated snippets. It's also kind of a good picture of the popular peceptions of her through the years.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 02:28:58 AM »

I'm all about Tiffany Blue Hillary. And I'm pretty sure that's Elaine Stritch on the left there.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 07:30:17 AM »

Hahaha what the christ is this
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »

I agree, however hackish it might be.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »

Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2013, 09:34:04 AM by Αverroës »

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection.

Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »

Brilliant Αverroës.  The verses used with the Bill pictures were superbly placed.  I tried to do the same with the Deteriorata as a response but it just doesn't match up with the pictures even a tenth as well as the Desiderata.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 11:06:23 AM »

Agreed with Hagrid.

Maxwell, I'm disappointed. You're usually so cordial.

PolitiJunkie brought out the worst in him and it's lingered.

Wrong.

I'm cordial when being cordial is the right thing to do. I'm not cordial when there's nothing to appreciate, no point being made, and it's just kissassery that everyone knows about. I know I'm going to see a million of these threads in the next couple of years, so maybe I should just hold my horses and calm down.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 11:20:06 AM »

Rand? is that you?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies