Mike Michaud's Gayness and the ME Governor's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:41:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mike Michaud's Gayness and the ME Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Mike Michaud's Gayness and the ME Governor's Race  (Read 6962 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »

I don't have much sympathy or urge to support the guy just because he's gay. In fact, I think he's a coward. I hope he wins the race, I would still vote for the guy despite it all, but I don't get all the celebration over his coming out. He should've been forcibly outed a long time ago after his SSM statements.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 06:22:09 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2013, 07:09:11 PM by Your new baseball overlord »

Because a 61% anti-gay district in 2009 and a 55% anti-gay marriage district last year is going to elect a gay man to Congress... Roll Eyes

Sanch makes a great point about the true leftist brigade getting tiring.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »

He wasn't forced to live in that district, and he shouldn't have wanted to represent a district of bigots anyway. Coward.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2013, 03:03:43 PM by Joe Republic »

He wasn't forced to live in that district, and he shouldn't have wanted to represent a district of bigots anyway. Coward.

Or he could have represented his home, his father's home, and his grandfather's home that he was born and raised in.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 07:20:28 PM »

Because a 61% anti-gay district in 2009 and a 55% anti-gay marriage district last year is going to elect a gay man to Congress... Roll Eyes

Michaud has won each election there, except his first, solidly. I highly doubt there would've been a huge turnaround because he was gay, in Maine. He could've chose to come out, be bold, stand his ground, sway his constituents himself, and he instead chose to hide until everything turned his way before he would come out. I don't give a f**k how you excuse it, it is cowardly.

And even if it were not, it is no reason to suddenly love the guy. (And I'm gay, before you start accusing me of being a homophobe as well.)
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »

Not repeating myself. Take a trip up to inner Maine and see for yourself what it's like. I'm done wasting my breath on people who are sticking their fingers in their ears and singing.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »

So he lied about who he was to get reelected. How is that any different than say Larry Craig or Mark Stevens (I think thats his name.)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »

So he lied about who he was to get reelected. How is that any different than say Larry Craig or Mark Stevens (I think thats his name.)
He's a Democrat.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »

I don't have much sympathy or urge to support the guy just because he's gay. In fact, I think he's a coward. I hope he wins the race, I would still vote for the guy despite it all, but I don't get all the celebration over his coming out. He should've been forcibly outed a long time ago after his SSM statements.
Not repeating myself. Take a trip up to inner Maine and see for yourself what it's like. I'm done wasting my breath on people who are sticking their fingers in their ears and singing.

We understand why he's a coward. Doesn't make him any less of one.

The idea of a pro-gay Democrat being unelectable in Maine is just dumb.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 10:52:04 PM »

Thank you. We know WHY he did it but he's still a spineless hypocrite. I can't believe people are using the "well he had to get elected" excuse as if that's all that matters in the world. I guess you have no problem with soulless politicians within your own party, but I do.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 10:53:22 PM »

Thank you. We know WHY he did it but he's still a spineless hypocrite. I can't believe people are using the "well he had to get elected" excuse as if that's all that matters in the world. I guess you have no problem with soulless politicians within your own party, but I do.

He's still better by miles than freaking LePage.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »

Well duh. But the first openly gay governor being someone with an anti gay record is strange.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:25 PM »

He's a Democrat.
That should not mean anything. Remember how hard Craig was railroaded over a disputed accusation? Or how about a pro gay newspaper accusing Mayor West of pedophilia with zero evidence? Local Dems clung to that like it was their only lifeline. yet shockingly the FBI dismissed the case. Did the editor of the Spokesman review apologize or get charged with libel? Of course not they got off just fine. Its hypocritical that all that can happen, but when a Democrat does it it's hallelujah lets all jump on the wagon!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 11:01:17 PM »

Well duh. But the first openly gay governor being someone with an anti gay record is strange.

Sure, but at least he has some liberal positions (like labor, if I recall correctly). This isn't like Jim Matheson coming out as gay.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 11:17:38 PM »

He's a Democrat.
That should not mean anything. Remember how hard Craig was railroaded over a disputed accusation? Or how about a pro gay newspaper accusing Mayor West of pedophilia with zero evidence? Local Dems clung to that like it was their only lifeline. yet shockingly the FBI dismissed the case. Did the editor of the Spokesman review apologize or get charged with libel? Of course not they got off just fine. Its hypocritical that all that can happen, but when a Democrat does it it's hallelujah lets all jump on the wagon!

I've been on the wagon. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said I supported Michaud because he's the only way this stays out of LePage's hands.

There's also the fact that what Craig did was criminal, so you can't really compare him and Michaud. When you're a representative, you represent everyone, not your own views. The district's views, surprisingly enough, aren't consistent with the rest of New England. I've actually been to these parts of Maine. My friend has family up there too. I'm not going off some armchair research here. This is all my personal experience, and if you think that these parts are as liberal as Portland or Bangor, you have absolutely no idea about how Maine is.

So for Christ's sake, leave the man alone for trying to represent his constituents. You can holler all you want about how he's some DINO, but don't blame me when the bumbling fool in Augusta gets reelected.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »

He's a Democrat.

I've been on the wagon. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said I supported Michaud because he's the only way this stays out of LePage's hands.

There's also the fact that what Craig did was criminal, so you can't really compare him and Michaud. When you're a representative, you represent everyone, not your own views. The district's views, surprisingly enough, aren't consistent with the rest of New England. I've actually been to these parts of Maine. My friend has family up there too. I'm not going off some armchair research here. This is all my personal experience, and if you think that these parts are as liberal as Portland or Bangor, you have absolutely no idea about how Maine is.

So for Christ's sake, leave the man alone for trying to represent his constituents. You can holler all you want about how he's some DINO, but don't blame me when the bumbling fool in Augusta gets reelected.
It was never proven that Craig did anything. The whole story was blown waaaaay out of per portion.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 12:52:26 AM »

You don't get it. It's not about being ideologically pure (although at this point any anti-gay Democrat needs to get with the program). I didn't care that he was a "DINO" before. It's about hypocrisy and being publicly against gay rights when he was a gay man himself. That says a lot about Mike Michaud the person to me.

Luckily I don't live in Maine so this won't affect me, but I'm certainly not going to celebrate him.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 12:56:54 AM »

Not exactly a profile in courage to be a closeted Democrat who votes against gay rights in New England.
He DISGUSTS me. What a spineless piece of crap. While the numerous closeted Republicans are also horrible, at least they're beholden to the party of bigotry and ignorance and are probably delusional enough to believe their own lies. I find this behavior even more shocking from a northeastern Democrat. I don't know care what his district is like, it's not like it's Alabama or anything. I don't know how he could live with himself all this time.

I support him for governor to get him the hell out of Congress.

How are you pro-Hilary Clinton if you're so concerned about ideological purity?
Who said anything about ideological purity?

If Hillary comes out as a lesbian, we can talk.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »

You don't get it. It's not about being ideologically pure (although at this point any anti-gay Democrat needs to get with the program). I didn't care that he was a "DINO" before. It's about hypocrisy and being publicly against gay rights when he was a gay man himself. That says a lot about Mike Michaud the person to me.

Luckily I don't live in Maine so this won't affect me, but I'm certainly not going to celebrate him.
Funny talk for someone who spent the last page pissing and moaning about how Northeastern Democrats should be pro-gay regardless of their districts. You were being ignorant, and you got called out for assuming that every district here's in the Northeast is a haven for social liberalism. Don't blame me because I proved you wrong.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 02:07:20 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2013, 03:01:43 PM by Joe Republic »

Um, that was never the main issue. I flat out said I don't care what his district is like in my first post. He still lived the life of a soulless hypocritical monster regardless. But still, no part of Maine is as bad as Alabama or something. Deal with it.

At least Republicans have to answer to a bigoted base. I'm sure there are people in Maine who would have had his back. He didn't even have to come out but he could have at least been a leader on the issue of gay rights. He took the coward's road to maintain his job as a boring, barely noteworthy congressman.

Again, this isn't the main issue anyway. The only people making it out to be are the ones acting like he did the right thing because he had to get elected Roll Eyes Sickening, really.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 03:55:56 AM »

Michaud acts like he IS representing Alabama.

He backed Heath Shuler challenge to Pelosi.

Even more ridiculously, he did this: http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/new-impeachment-threat-with-democrat-involved/

I actually think Cutler might be more of a Democrat.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 04:41:04 AM »

Lolthread
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 04:44:54 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Good company.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
LOL. So there's no reason to like him then.

Despite not knowing him well, apparently my instincts were correct Smiley
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »

Coming from someone who's taking a WND report seriously, I'll take that as a compliment.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »

Um, that was never the main issue you nitpicking moron. I flat out said I don't care what his district is like in my first post. He still lived the life of a soulless hypocritical monster regardless. But still, no part of Maine is as bad as Alabama or something. Deal with it.

At least Republicans have to answer to a bigoted base. I'm sure there are people in Maine who would have had his back. He didn't even have to come out but he could have at least been a leader on the issue of gay rights. He took the coward's road to maintain his job as a boring, barely noteworthy congressman.

Again, this isn't the main issue anyway. The only people making it out to be are the ones acting like he did the right thing because he had to get elected Roll Eyes Sickening, really.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies