Integrationist Southern GOP'ers in 1950's - 1970's
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:01:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Integrationist Southern GOP'ers in 1950's - 1970's
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Integrationist Southern GOP'ers in 1950's - 1970's  (Read 988 times)
MissouriVoter
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »

What are good examples of GOP'ers who supported integration who hailed from the South, who ran against segregationist Democrats.

I know Winthrop Rockefeller was an example who was governor after Orval Faubus in Arkansas. 

Most Southern GOP'ers at the time though were against civil rights and used it as a campaign issue, like Jesse Helms and John Tower, putting them against the national GOP platform.

What are other good examples like Winthrop Rockefeller and how common were they in relation to the others?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »

What are good examples of GOP'ers who supported integration who hailed from the South, who ran against segregationist Democrats.

I know Winthrop Rockefeller was an example who was governor after Orval Faubus in Arkansas. 

Most Southern GOP'ers at the time though were against civil rights and used it as a campaign issue, like Jesse Helms and John Tower, putting them against the national GOP platform.

What are other good examples like Winthrop Rockefeller and how common were they in relation to the others?

Former Gov. Linwood Holton (R=VA) endorsed Obama in 2008 and 2012.

Former Rep. John Hall Buchanan (R-AL) became head of People for the American Way

Former Sen Marlow Cook (R-KY) endorsed Obama in 2012.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 11:54:05 PM »

This is a list of Southern Republicans who declined to sign the "Southern Manifesto" supporting segregation in 1956 (from Wikipedia):
William C. Cramer (Fla.)
Charles Jonas (N.C.)
Howard Baker, Sr. (Tenn.)
B. Carroll Reece (Tenn.)
Bruce Alger (Texas)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2013, 05:40:32 PM by MATTROSE94 »

I would also add John Sherman Cooper, Thurston Morton and Howard Baker Jr. to the list of racially-moderate Southern Republicans as well. John Shermon Cooper and Thurton Morton voted in favor of the Civil Rights Acts of 1957, 1960 and 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and the Fair Housing Act of 1968 (I'm sure that Cooper supported it, but I remember reading that Morton voted against it). Furthermore, Howard Baker Jr. voted in favor of the Fair Housing Act of 1968 and supported the extension of the Voting Rights Act in 1970 and again in 1982 when he was serving as Senate Majority Leader.

On another note, I noticed that many of the Southern Republicans elected in the 1960s and 1970s were even worse race-baiters than the Southern Democrats in some ways, as many relief on using more covert race baiting tactics such as code words like "States Rights", "Forced Busing" and "Law and Order."
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 06:07:51 PM »

John Shermon Cooper and Thurton Morton voted in favor of the Civil Rights Acts of 1957, 1960 and 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and the Fair Housing Act of 1968 (I'm sure that Cooper supported it, but I remember reading that Morton voted against it). Furthermore, Howard Baker Jr. voted in favor of the Fair Housing Act of 1968 and supported the extension of the Voting Rights Act in 1970 and again in 1982 when he was serving as Senate Majority Leader.

George H. W. Bush voted for the Fair Housing Act and drew considerable grief from Texas conservatives for it. At one campaign event, he allegedly said, "If you're not going to vote for me because I support fair housing, then don't vote for me."
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 09:20:31 PM »

John Shermon Cooper and Thurton Morton voted in favor of the Civil Rights Acts of 1957, 1960 and 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and the Fair Housing Act of 1968 (I'm sure that Cooper supported it, but I remember reading that Morton voted against it). Furthermore, Howard Baker Jr. voted in favor of the Fair Housing Act of 1968 and supported the extension of the Voting Rights Act in 1970 and again in 1982 when he was serving as Senate Majority Leader.

George H. W. Bush voted for the Fair Housing Act and drew considerable grief from Texas conservatives for it. At one campaign event, he allegedly said, "If you're not going to vote for me because I support fair housing, then don't vote for me."
You actually have a good point about George H.W. Bush regarding civil rights. He did campaign against the Civil Rights Act when he ran unsuccessfully for the senate in 1964, but began to moderate his stance on civil rights after he was elected to the House of Representatives in 1966, despite the fact that his  district was fairly conservative.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 11:04:46 PM »

Carroll Reece was, I believe, chairman of the RNC for a time.  He was a "mountain Republican", an extinct creature that was rather Populist, as a protest to the Southern Bourbon establishment.
stevekamp
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:36:08 AM »

The unsuccessful Republican candidate in 1956 Georgia-5, Randolph Thrower, later became known in the Nixon Administration as the IRS official who fought Nixon attempts to politicize audits etc.  Thrower later became a figure in the American Bar Assn. where he urged delegates to "stand up like a man and vote for this resolution" favoring womens rights.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:48:20 AM »

Carroll Reece was, I believe, chairman of the RNC for a time.  He was a "mountain Republican", an extinct creature that was rather Populist, as a protest to the Southern Bourbon establishment.
You are right about B.Carroll Reece. He served as RNC chairman from 1946-1948 and also was the Republican nominee for the Senate in 1948, but lost to Estes Kefauver, who would later be known as the 1956 Democratic Vice-Presidential nominee. Like Reece, Kefauver was also a moderate on racial issues, voting in favor of the Civil Rights Acts in 1957 and 1960 and refusing to sign the Southern Manifesto.   
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 08:15:16 AM »

John Warner was hailed by Arlen Specter and was key in his narrow win against Mark Warner on his vote against Bork who Kennedy called a segregationalist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies