"Pro-life" groups sue to stop expansion of healthcare to the poor in Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:20:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Pro-life" groups sue to stop expansion of healthcare to the poor in Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Pro-life" groups sue to stop expansion of healthcare to the poor in Ohio  (Read 1977 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Ohio-opponents-of-Medicaid-expansion-file-lawsuit-4916396.php

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good on the newspaper for correctly labeling these groups "anti-abortion" not "pro-life." They obviously don't care at all about actually protecting people's lives. As always, the only goal is putting women back barefoot in the kitchen.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »

Absolutely deplorable.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »

The rationale seems to be that the money covers birth control which they see as abortaficient and that Planned Parenthood is an accepted provider.  They also say that Medicare should be fixed before it's expanded, and I might agree with that part, but this still adds up to a lack of perspective and severely tone deaf move. In a similar tone deaf mixed up priority, Cleveland Right to Life said they'd no longer support Rob Portman because of gay marriage, which led the National Right to Life to disaffiliate with them.  Ohio Right to Life, the state organization, supported the Medicaid expansion.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »

They obviously don't care at all about actually protecting people's lives. As always, the only goal is putting women back barefoot in the kitchen.

Yod don't seem to recognize the great strides that have been made.  Many of these groups are perfectly willing to accept slippers.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:54:07 PM »

Lief,

Do you read any non-liberal sources?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »

Lief,

Do you read any non-liberal sources?

The AP is liberal now?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »

When weren't they?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »

One more reason why these people are more "anti-choice" than "pro-life".
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 12:44:13 AM »

Sickening.

http://prospect.org/article/cruelty-republican-states-one-chart

barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 09:55:02 AM »

Think about the cost of living in each state though. $41,000 in places like D.C. isn't worth as much as states like Alabama.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »

While I support Kasich's move to expand Medicare, doing so as an end run around the state leg's intent through the Board of Supervisors--though likely technically legal means due to some statutory loopholes undoubtedly quietly passed through with help of his allies in the leg leadership--is the type of anti-democratic big government maneuver that leaves me queasy. I understand the need for tough leadership against an intransigent legislature, but it sets a bad precedent.

Although expansion is supported by a strong majority of Ohioans.....
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »

Think about the cost of living in each state though. $41,000 in places like D.C. isn't worth as much as states like Alabama.

I can assure you Alabama's and DC's living costs do not vary by a magnitude of 900 percent.

I am surprised that my state's threshold isn't the lowest. Better keep quiet about that, lest some state legislator decide he won't rest until we're stingier with Medicaid benefits than Arkansas.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »

I can assure you Alabama's and DC's living costs do not vary by a magnitude of 900 percent.

I am surprised that my state's threshold isn't the lowest. Better keep quiet about that, lest some state legislator decide he won't rest until we're stingier with Medicaid benefits than Arkansas.

I'd like to see Medicaid expanded to compensate the difference for those with pre-existing conditions who would have to pay higher rates rather than doing it how Obamacare sets it up. Medicaid is a good program that helps a lot of people. In fact, a lot of immigrants benefit from it when first entering our country until they're able to afford their own health insurance or get a job with benefits.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »

I'd like to see Medicaid expanded to compensate the difference for those with pre-existing conditions who would have to pay higher rates rather than doing it how Obamacare sets it up. Medicaid is a good program that helps a lot of people. In fact, a lot of immigrants benefit from it when first entering our country until they're able to afford their own health insurance or get a job with benefits.

You're one of those people who thinks there's this endless stream of poor people coming into America and immediately setting themselves up on Medicaid and food stamps and ObamaPhones and then kicking back and having a big taxpayer-funded fiesta, aren't you?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:46:35 PM »

AP wires are arguably the least-biased news sources in America because they are composed so quickly that the journalists who write them cannot add bias. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 07:38:35 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2013, 05:29:13 PM by pbrower2a »

It looks as if some states are 'pro-death' when it comes to aid to the poor. Who needs welfare when there might be a plantation on which to become a serf -- and the solution to illness or crippling injury is that you starve?

The Republican agenda seems to have 'cheap labor' as a core of its philosophy.
Link
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 08:39:19 AM »

Show of hands. How many people here would at 22 turn down a job at ESPN making $37,310?

It's easy to spot the people on the forum who have never had a job nor paid taxes.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »

Show of hands. How many people here would at 22 turn down a job at ESPN making $37,310?

It's easy to spot the people on the forum who have never had a job nor paid taxes.

What are you talking about? What does a job at ESPN have to do with the cost of living? Is it you're saying people should be happy to make $37,000 in an area where the cost of living is higher? Are you trying to say that we're saying things that we're not? What is your purpose? Please explain in great detail what a job at ESPN has to do with the cost of living in different areas. We're waiting.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 01:48:53 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2013, 01:50:51 PM by MalaspinaGold »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
for instance, when they tried to smear McAuliffe with that made up insider trading scandal.

Link
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »

What are you talking about? What does a job at ESPN have to do with the cost of living? Is it you're saying people should be happy to make $37,000 in an area where the cost of living is higher? Are you trying to say that we're saying things that we're not? What is your purpose? Please explain in great detail what a job at ESPN has to do with the cost of living in different areas. We're waiting.

barfbag this isn't like listening to Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh.  You have to be capable of some abstract thought.

ESPN is headquartered in big, bad, blue, expensive Connecticut.  On your little graph you will notice $37,310 is the number next to that state's name.  So I set up a thought exercise... for the the people that can/will think.  I haven't checked recently but I'm pretty sure for someone with a plain vanilla BA... say a 22 year old fresh out of college a starting salary of $37,310 would be pretty typical at an outfit like that.

Now if you look on your little graph you will see the number $4,699 next to Louisiana.  So would a 22 year old  with a liberal arts BA with say a 3.0 GPA turn down a $37,310 job working for ESPN in CT so you can live the dream and earn $4,699 in Louisiana... 'cause ya' know "cost of living"?

Take your time.  Let us know which is a better deal.  Maybe we'll learn something new today.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »

The way it works is like this:

Mother and two children in Minnesota:

Mother makes $40,000/year from a combination of child support and a full time job.

She goes to the MNSure website to shop for health insurance for her family.  The site informs her that her children are both eligible for Medical Assistance (medicaid) and that she is eligible for MinnesotaCare.  Her childrens' health insurance will include no out of pocket costs to her while her MinnesotaCare plan will include a $50 monthly premium and $3 copays for prescriptions and doctor visits.

Mother in Alabama with two kids... mom makes $30,000 from a combination of child support and working a full time job that doesn't offer insurance.

Nobody in the family gets health insurance because they refused to expand Medicaid and she cannot qualify for subsidies to buy private insurance.

When she or one of her children are sick, they must wait until it's very bad and then go to the emergency room.  Several weeks later she gets a bill in the mail for $2500 because the child's illness had gotten bad enough that they had to do several chest xrays to rule out possible pneumonia.

Bill goes unpaid for lack of money and her credit rating tumbles so that now she can no longer qualify for the car she was going to buy as her current one is gettng very old and is not dependable.

Seriously.. what the f**k is wrong with you Republicans?
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 09:59:09 PM »

The way it works is like this:

Mother and two children in Minnesota:

Mother makes $40,000/year from a combination of child support and a full time job.

She goes to the MNSure website to shop for health insurance for her family.  The site informs her that her children are both eligible for Medical Assistance (medicaid) and that she is eligible for MinnesotaCare.  Her childrens' health insurance will include no out of pocket costs to her while her MinnesotaCare plan will include a $50 monthly premium and $3 copays for prescriptions and doctor visits.

Mother in Alabama with two kids... mom makes $30,000 from a combination of child support and working a full time job that doesn't offer insurance.

Nobody in the family gets health insurance because they refused to expand Medicaid and she cannot qualify for subsidies to buy private insurance.

When she or one of her children are sick, they must wait until it's very bad and then go to the emergency room.  Several weeks later she gets a bill in the mail for $2500 because the child's illness had gotten bad enough that they had to do several chest xrays to rule out possible pneumonia.

Bill goes unpaid for lack of money and her credit rating tumbles so that now she can no longer qualify for the car she was going to buy as her current one is gettng very old and is not dependable.

Seriously.. what the f**k is wrong with you Republicans?

But Snowguy, expanding Medicaid would rob that woman of her initiative and deprive her of any opportunity to better herself. One minute we're establishing AlabamaCare, the next minute she's pushing a shopping cart full of illicitly purchased flat screen TVs through a Wal-Mart parking lot because there was a glitch in the food stamp card system.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »

I wonder if they'd let me join their fine organization even though I live out of state.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies