Boy with toy rifle and handgun shot and killed by cops in California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 12:42:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boy with toy rifle and handgun shot and killed by cops in California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Boy with toy rifle and handgun shot and killed by cops in California  (Read 2519 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »

I'm curious to learn what Badger's take on this would be.  If a guy can get 6.5 years for drunk driving and killing a guy in the process... surely this would warrant an equal sentence for the cop who shot the boy?

Just like we tell pedestrians not to venture into a busy roadway lest they be hit by a car... surely we tell our peace officers that they shouldn't just start shooting until they are damned sure there is a threat to their life...

It's all part of the risk we take on when we do things like drink alcohol or try to cross a road or go to school to become a police officer.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2013, 07:28:53 PM by Snowstalker »

Cops are more often than not terrible, and change will only come when the public begins to view them as such.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »

Hell yeah.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 07:37:20 PM »

When? Most people I've known have had a negative view on cops.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »

Awesome song, but no.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »

I'm curious to learn what Badger's take on this would be.  If a guy can get 6.5 years for drunk driving and killing a guy in the process... surely this would warrant an equal sentence for the cop who shot the boy?

Just like we tell pedestrians not to venture into a busy roadway lest they be hit by a car... surely we tell our peace officers that they shouldn't just start shooting until they are damned sure there is a threat to their life...

It's all part of the risk we take on when we do things like drink alcohol or try to cross a road or go to school to become a police officer.

Thanks for asking! Grin

The details are EVERYTHING. Was the cop criminally negligent (or worse)? Was it an honest mistake? What's telling here is everyone seems to be jumping to conclusions based on ideology. "Guns are bad" vs. "Cops are thugs" generally hold sway here over finding out what actually happened.

I'll simply state that cops have to make these snap decisions, and 13 yr olds do shoot cops.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:13 PM »

I don't care if cops make a jillion bajillion snap decisions a day.  If they kill someone and it turns out there was no real threat... they should face prosecution.

Perhaps cops would have a better reputation if they didn't seem to enjoy killing innocent Americans and then get away with it!

Let a jury decide if it was negligence or a tragic mistake or something else.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »

I don't care if cops make a jillion bajillion snap decisions a day.  If they kill someone and it turns out there was no real threat... they should face prosecution.

Perhaps cops would have a better reputation if they didn't seem to enjoy killing innocent Americans and then get away with it!

A civil jury will do that, because it's going to civil court.  Don't expect a criminal one in this matter, Snowy.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »

They're using a 10 second window of time as a defense/justification of the shooting, but to me, it means they reacted too quickly without assessing the situation and merits a ton of review.

http://news.yahoo.com/california-cops-mistaken-fatal-shooting-boy-unfolded-seconds-053109259.html
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »

Cops most certainly are terrible scumbags, but if they would shoot everybody they saw running around with a gun or a fake gun, perhaps it would eliminate the horrible phenomenon of people having guns and buying their kids toy guns.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 05:59:02 PM »

The police force in this country is officially out of control.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »

A civil jury will do that, because it's going to civil court.  Don't expect a criminal one in this matter, Snowy.

Or potentially a criminal grand jury.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »

Or potentially a criminal grand jury.

I would hope there is one, Badg.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »

Cops most certainly are terrible scumbags, but if they would shoot everybody they saw running around with a gun or a fake gun, perhaps it would eliminate the horrible phenomenon of people having guns and buying their kids toy guns.

So you're saying what happened is good?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »

The FBI is now investigating......as much as I think their scum, I'll take it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »

The police force in this country really needs to be cut by at least 25% (being conservative here, we could probably cut by much more), so they can actually focus on real threats, instead of killing kids with toy guns or people with a Marijuana plant or two in their backyards.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 04:10:34 PM »

Maybe police departments should raise salaries and hire nerds instead of bullies to be cops in the first place...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »

Why does everyone act so shocked that California cops have shot yet another minority kid?  Have you guys ever seen the movie Die Hard?  It happens all the time!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »

Why does everyone act so shocked that California cops have shot yet another minority kid?  Have you guys ever seen the movie Die Hard?  It happens all the time!

Usually not as much of a problem in Northern California. Southern California, on the other hand, is Arizona-lite, of course.
Link
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »

Why so much hate towards cops?  You guys realize the majority of cops go their entire career without discharging their fire arm anywhere other than the gun range.  I'm pretty sure even drawing their weapon is a pretty rare event.

Also the parents need to be called out.  I would not let my kid wander around the neighborhood with any gun toy or not.  And I certainly wouldn't let them wander around with a realistic looking gun with no orange cap.

To people saying he's just a 13 year old remember during the same week a 12 year old and 14 year old killed two people.

I don't know the whole story so don't take this as a defense of the cop nor condemnation of the kid.  I'm just saying relax and let the investigation continue.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2013, 09:35:18 PM »

The police force in this country really needs to be cut by at least 25% (being conservative here, we could probably cut by much more), so they can actually focus on real threats, instead of killing kids with toy guns or people with a Marijuana plant or two in their backyards.

You REALLY think thatls what most cops' job entails? REALLY?!?

The stupid in this thread can't get worse.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »

Maybe police departments should raise salaries and hire nerds instead of bullies to be cops in the first place...

AUGGHHH!! It got worse! Dear God it got so much worse it hurts!!!
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »

Why so much hate towards cops?  You guys realize the majority of cops go their entire career without discharging their fire arm anywhere other than the gun range.  I'm pretty sure even drawing their weapon is a pretty rare event.

Also the parents need to be called out.  I would not let my kid wander around the neighborhood with any gun toy or not.  And I certainly wouldn't let them wander around with a realistic looking gun with no orange cap.

To people saying he's just a 13 year old remember during the same week a 12 year old and 14 year old killed two people.

I don't know the whole story so don't take this as a defense of the cop nor condemnation of the kid.  I'm just saying relax and let the investigation continue.

This and why didn't he put the gun down when told?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2013, 11:32:56 AM »

This and why didn't he put the gun down when told?

If the whole thing when down in less than 10 seconds he might not have had time.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »

Truly tragic. Boys have been playing with toy guns for years and we've never had any trouble. This is horrible for their families.

If the gun looks like a real-live (or should I say, real-death) AR-15 or AK-47 it can create real problems.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies