KS-SurveyUSA: Gov. Brownback's approvals/favorables suck
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:01:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS-SurveyUSA: Gov. Brownback's approvals/favorables suck
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: KS-SurveyUSA: Gov. Brownback's approvals/favorables suck  (Read 4112 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:44:17 AM »

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Sam Brownback is doing as Governor?

35-58 disapprove

Is your opinion of Sam Brownback... favorable? Unfavorable? Neutral? Or, do you have no opinion of Sam Brownback?

22-47 unfavorable

Geography: Kansas
Data Collected: 10/22/2013
Release Date: 10/22/2013
Sponsor: KWCH-TV Wichita
532 Registered Voters
Margin of Sampling Error: ± 4.3%

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=2df49753-b10b-4a3c-9da6-44ac328df764
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »

Good for him that KS has no Democrat who can beat him even with these numbers ...
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:49:06 AM »

Good for him that KS has no Democrat who can beat him even with these numbers ...

Very true, but they could probably make it much closer then a 2014 Govenor's race in Kansas should be.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:56:01 AM »

Just checked Wikipedia, and it seems there is some sort of "high profile" candidate in the race for the Democrats:

Paul Davis, the Democratic Minority Leader in the KS House.

http://www.davisforkansas.com/sections/page/about

But nobody has polled him against Brownback so far.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »

SurveyUSA asked the favorability of a "Paul David" in their poll. Did they mean Davis ?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2013, 09:04:56 AM by Senator Tmthforu94 »

Paul Davis is not a great candidate - he'll excite the base, but in order to win he needs Republicans to cross over, and he won't be able to do that.

Brownback will win by a pathetic margin, but I'm sure he will win. I would say 53-45. It's worth noting that only 51% of Republicans approve of Brownback here - I'm sure most will come home to him at the end of the day.

They also have Pat Roberts at 35% approval rating, and Moran at 38%. I have a hard time completely buying those numbers.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »

Paul Davis is not a great candidate - he'll excite the base, but in order to win he needs Republicans to cross over, and he won't be able to do that.

Brownback will win by a pathetic margin, but I'm sure he will win. I would say 53-45. It's worth noting that only 51% of Republicans approve of Brownback here - I'm sure most will come home to him at the end of the day.

They also have Pat Roberts at 35% approval rating, and Moran at 38%. I have a hard time completely buying those numbers.

Shutdown impact.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/PaulDavisKS?fref=ts

Well, I hope the Moderate Pubs will support him. If even in Kansas, who is probably the historically reddest state,  the tea party loses,...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:41:16 AM »

Shutdown impact.
Perhaps.

Davis needs to win just about all of the Independent and Democratic vote, plus a little bit of Republicans. Considering that a good chunk of these disapprovals come from dissatisfied Republicans who would still prefer him over the liberal Davis, I think he'll be OK. Kansas is one of the few states where an incumbent can win with approvals in the 30's. Meh :/
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 04:15:37 PM »

I would love to see Brownback get voted out of office, but alas, Tmth is 100% correct.

Davis would make a decent Governor, but his state is far too red for him to get elected, unfortunately. We might as well nickname a situation where a Democrat won't get elected simply due to being in a red state the Davis Effect (see: Paul/Wendy)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »

I would love to see Brownback get voted out of office, but alas, Tmth is 100% correct.

Davis would make a decent Governor, but his state is far too red for him to get elected, unfortunately. We might as well nickname a situation where a Democrat won't get elected simply due to being in a red state the Davis Effect (see: Paul/Wendy)

Kathleen Sebelius would beg to differ. If she wasn't too busy taking all the heat from the crappy ACA website that is.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 12:19:59 AM »

I guess this (http://www.omaha.com/article/20130804/NEWS/130809598) is the background for his low numbers?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 12:22:43 AM »

Ah, Brownback bringing back the Bush/Cheney policy of "deficits don't matter, as long as we get tax cuts!".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »

SurveyUSA went into the field again because of the David/Davis spelling error in their poll and here are the new results:

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=fe5f4833-d9fd-4d31-a43e-508d7e4c09a0
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »

Brownback will get reelected easily in 2014.

He's got 4 statewide election victories in his belt (likely 5 in 2014).
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »

Kathleen Sebelius would beg to differ. If she wasn't too busy taking all the heat from the crappy ACA website that is.

Davis is not Sebelius, though.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »

Davis is not Sebelius, though.

But were Sebelius's opponents as toxic as Brownback is now?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 09:47:50 PM »

I doubt Brownback loses, even if his approvals at the moment are awful. Its Kansas, a democrat has a close to none chance of winning. Similar to Rhode Island and New York.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »

>implying one of the faces of Obamacare is going to get elected again in a red state
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 01:42:47 AM »

>implying one of the faces of Obamacare is going to get elected again in a red state

I wasn't saying she would get elected again. I was saying she proved a Democrat can win in Kansas.
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 05:30:37 AM »

She was also pretty popular and faced two opponents who weren't more than really run-of-the-mill types. Nowadays, she couldn't win a third term because it's barred by the Kansas Constitution along with the whole Obamacare thing.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »

I wasn't saying she would get elected again. I was saying she proved a Democrat can win in Kansas.

2002 is NOT 2014 to put it mildly. Partisanship has drifted down to the state race level in an unprecidented fashion.

I suspect many KS Republicans and conservative independents who supported her regret it somewhat after she became the face of Obamacare.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »

2002 is NOT 2014 to put it mildly. Partisanship has drifted down to the state race level in an unprecidented fashion.

I suspect many KS Republicans and conservative independents who supported her regret it somewhat after she became the face of Obamacare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_gubernatorial_election,_2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_gubernatorial_election,_2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_gubernatorial_election,_2012 (Yes, he lost, but it was still very close for a blue state like Washington)

People are exaggerating the polarization with regards to governor's races. While overall it's not as hospitable for opposite party governors as it was a decade ago, it's still very possible.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »

He might have been a good US Senator but apparently that is not transferring to the Governor's office for him popularity wise or politically.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »

He might have been a good US Senator but apparently that is not transferring to the Governor's office for him popularity wise or politically.

It's a lot easier to be a Senator for a red state when all you have to do is bash Democrats and vote "no" on everything. But when it comes to actually governing, turns out voters don't prefer Tea Party extremism after all.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies