NC 2016 Gubernatorial Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:04:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC 2016 Gubernatorial Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Author Topic: NC 2016 Gubernatorial Discussion Thread  (Read 45400 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »

Yes, its a ways off, but the race is starting to shape up now. We have various threads on this race and factors affecting it, so I figured we should consolidate stuff here.

JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:27:46 PM »

I see the 2010 Lt. Gov. Race as a floor for Cooper in this race.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=2012&fips=37&f=0&off=6&elect=0

Maybe McCrory does a little bit better in Charlotte (though not nearly as well as he did in 2012) and Cooper does slightly better in eastern NC, around Rocky Mount, Wilson and Roanoke Rapids.  But with Hillary on the ballot getting at least 47% in NC and McCrory's image no longer perfect as it was, there's not much room for McCrory to win.  A little bit of room, but not much.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »

Just to be clear, those darn poor people will not get more Medicaid and if you think otherwise, you're a dumb liberal activist.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »

Will Anthony Foxx run for governor or for senate or neither according to you Miles?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »

You really can't tell with Foxx. At this point, it would be really dumb for him to run for Governor, with the Democrats already having a great candidate and all...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »

I would love to have an another black in senate! But Burr is probably relatively favored!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »

Will Anthony Foxx run for governor or for senate or neither according to you Miles?

Cooper is already the best possible candidate and will have years worth of fundraising ahead of any other challenger. No way any high-profile NC Dem runs for Governor and not Senate.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »

Cooper is already the best possible candidate and will have years worth of fundraising ahead of any other challenger. No way any high-profile NC Dem runs for Governor and not Senate.
I suppose it's good that Cooper is going after McCrory- it funnels strong Ds into the Senate race.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »

How well-liked is Cooper?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:49:14 PM »

Very.

He's one the Democrat's best recruits.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »

Hmmm...Governor Pat will spend $167K on installing bulletproof windows in the Governor's mansion. Kinda seems paranoid to me.

Perhaps its because he signed a law last session allowing guns in parks and playgrounds.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:56:30 AM »

Remember the hell that broke lose in Watauga County because of what the Republican hacks who took over the state elections board tried to do?

It looks like there's still a bit of backlash.

Turnout was was up in the Boone municipal elections compared to 2009. The newly elected mayor, my friend Andy Ball (a fellow former NC Young Democrat Smiley ), says that was due to anger at the elections board:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hopefully, McCrory is defeated so that the county elections boards will be back to Democratic control.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »

A look at how McCrory's style is costing him politically:

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »

Though PPP's last batch on NC polls wasn't great news for Democrats, McCrory is remains unpopular, though less so than last time.  He's up to 39/51 approvals from 35/53.

I would have liked to see a matchup with Cooper, though.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »

Sketchy as hell.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »

Pat Mcrory is really an ass...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 01:38:28 PM »

Chuck Todd interviews McCrory at the RGA.

He compares himself to Chris Christie a few times. He also says that a majority of Democrats favor his voter ID laws. I don't know what polls he's getting that from...
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 03:40:31 AM »

McCory made a fool of himself so far, he needs a solid two years or it won't be pretty in 2016.

I admit I was proud to vote for him in 2012 but I am mega disappointed in him so far. The Voter ID law was strike 1 and the teachers deal with the elimination of tenure is a close strike 2.

A lot of people loves Cooper around here, been elected as AG tons of times with no competition. A state wide Lawyer who is popular in TV ads ran against him in 2008 and he trounced him easy. Cooper would get some moderates out.

The Dems will probably win the State Congress back unless something dramatic happens.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 02:39:23 PM »

Cooper is 4-0 in statewide elections as North Carolina State Attorney General. He'll be a strong contender for the Executive Mansion in 2016, but I still think McCrory has a shot at winning reelection.

After all, the GOPers still control both chambers of the General Assembly and Obama's still NOT well-liked down there either.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 05:03:36 PM »

After all, the GOPers still control both chambers of the General Assembly

Not because people actually like them.  They're gerrymandered in.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »

This is unbecoming. McCrory's staffers are charging fees for access to public records which were provided for free by the previous administrations.

So is this part of the transparency platform that he ran on?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 11:54:58 PM »

MSNBC looks at NC's shift to the right and highlights Moral Mondays. As much as I dislike him, I think the article casts McCrory as the villain a bit much. Yes, he's been a poor Governor, but I think its because he's had to play ball with the real loony tunes who control the Assembly.

The challenge for Moral Monday supporters and the NAACP will be keeping up the 'flame', so to speak, into 2014 and beyond. There will likely be less momentum for them in 2014 though. Traditionally, the more controversial bills are passed in the first session after an election cycle while the second session is reserved for the less polarizing stuff. Still, this Assembly is quickly throwing out vestiges of the old 'regime'...
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 12:48:52 AM »

MSNBC looks at NC's shift to the right and highlights Moral Mondays. As much as I dislike him, I think the article casts McCrory as the villain a bit much. Yes, he's been a poor Governor, but I think its because he's had to play ball with the real loony tunes who control the Assembly.

The challenge for Moral Monday supporters and the NAACP will be keeping up the 'flame', so to speak, into 2014 and beyond. There will likely be less momentum for them in 2014 though. Traditionally, the more controversial bills are passed in the first session after an election cycle while the second session is reserved for the less polarizing stuff. Still, this Assembly is quickly throwing out vestiges of the old 'regime'...

It is MSNBC after all, I'm not one bit surprised....

As for Moral Mondays, its hard to see them bringing any affect on their states government. They can energize and notify people whats going on, but the politicians won't stop until they're out of office. So their goal is to grow this protesting movement as big as they possibly can and keep it lasting until 2014.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »

Well, Democrats have a solid recruit for Cooper's open AG slot. Senator Josh Stein, who represents a seat in western Wake County, will run.

Stein serves as the minority whip and has been one of the more outspoken critics of the Republican leadership. He should be a good fundraiser. Stein actually served as one of Cooper's deputies before winning his Senate seat.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »

Constantly blaming the 'liberal media' is getting really old. Who are you? Sarah Palin?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies