MA: The Responsible Abortion Policy Act (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:49:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: The Responsible Abortion Policy Act (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MA: The Responsible Abortion Policy Act (Vetoed)  (Read 1330 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »
« edited: October 31, 2013, 05:30:20 PM by Inks.LWC is Vincent Bugliosi »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
Sponsor: Mr. X
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »

The bill is pretty straightforward, but there seems to be a typo in the thread topic, Mr. Speaker Tongue  The People's right to file a petition has not been respected, so I believe the least we can do in the Assembly is give The People a chance to make their voices heard.  Although it is admittedly a poor substitute for holding a referendum, the debate over this bill will at least allow them to lobby their elected officials on this issue.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »

The bill is pretty straightforward, but there seems to be a typo in the thread topic, Mr. Speaker Tongue  The People's right to file a petition has not been respected, so I believe the least we can do in the Assembly is give The People a chance to make their voices heard.  Although it is admittedly a poor substitute for holding a referendum, the debate over this bill will at least allow them to lobby their elected officials on this issue.

Changed before I even saw this... my bad!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »

This essentially defeat the purpose of the original bill, so I oppose it.  However, I wouldn't be opposed to the Assembly passing a resolution allowing a vote on it.  And if the people want to vote on it, then they can petition to have one.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:44:32 PM »

This essentially defeat the purpose of the original bill, so I oppose it.  However, I wouldn't be opposed to the Assembly passing a resolution allowing a vote on it.  And if the people want to vote on it, then they can petition to have one.

We could pass this bill and then the region's conservative voters could petition to repeal it and we'd have a referendum on the issue anyway Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »

I fully support repeal.  Honestly though, if the only purpose is to have a referendum, I think we should have a referendum on the original bill.  Voters should have the chance to see the full text in its miserable glory, so they can make an informed decision.

Either that or we should add a clause to this bill stating that any referendum on this bill must include a copy of the full text of the original bill for reference.

If you want to introduce an amendment that added such a clause, I'd consider it friendly.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »

The amendment is friendly.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »

FYI, the second clause is redundant to the Informed Voters Act.  I'd prefer to have clause 2 from this bill struck, so that it does not add confusion by making it appear that giving the text of the statute is special to this case.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »

Alright, we'll now vote on the final version of the bill.  Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  This will be a 48-hour vote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 11:43:15 PM »

Nay
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »

Aye
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 07:44:32 PM »

Nay
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »

Ultimately, after a lot of thinking, I've come to a conclusion on this bill.  I wholeheartedly believe that abortion should be outlawed altogether (other than to save the mother's life); however, I think that this legislation only clouds the topic and is an unenforceable statute that women can easily get around by lying.  Therefore...

AYE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »

Voting is now closed.  The AYEs are 3, and the NAYs are 1.  The AYEs have it, and the bill has passed.  The bill is now passed onto the Governor for his signature or veto.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »

I call on Governor ZuWo to please veto this bill.  I just don't understand why it's a violation of women's rights to use sex selection in developing nations, but it's a violation of women's rights to ban them within our borders.  And don't give me the excuse of cultural differences; just because something is culturally acceptable doesn't make it right.  I'm not saying that those cultures are inherently bad, but it is one major flaw I see in them (just as every culture has its flaws.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »

I call on Governor ZuWo to please veto this bill.  I just don't understand why it's a violation of women's rights to use sex selection in developing nations, but it's a violation of women's rights to ban them within our borders.  And don't give me the excuse of cultural differences; just because something is culturally acceptable doesn't make it right.  I'm not saying that those cultures are inherently bad, but it is one major flaw I see in them (just as every culture has its flaws.)

It's not, but the bill here is completely unenforceable.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »

I request a veto override debate and vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 12:01:21 AM »

I request a veto override debate and vote.

24 hours.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »

Once again, I'd just like to say to Assemblyman JCL and Assemblyman Oldiesfreak1854 that voting against a veto-override is essentially an acknowledgement that you don't consider an abortion to be the same as murdering a newborn.  Heck, this bill doesn't even ban all abortions, so I'm a bit surprised to see folks like Assemblyman JCL essentially acknowledging there is no principle to stand on here.  As I said in another thread, if I believed abortion was the same as murdering a newborn (and I don't, ftr), I'd be appalled at the very idea that what this bill describes was an acceptable punishment.  I said it before and I'll say it again, if Assemblyman Oldiesfreak1854 and especially Assemblyman JCL (whose brand is standing on principle when it comes to social issues) then I don't see how either can oppose a veto override.  If they vote against a veto override, they're essentially saying "abortion is the same as murdering a newborn, but we should prosecute it like it isn't even a violent crime, let alone murder."  Honestly, anything less than Assemblyman JCL's recently defeated abortion bill is essentially an admission by its supporters that abortion is both different and far less of a crime than murdering a newborn baby.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »

I encourage the honorable Assemblymembers to vote against the veto override. While far from perfect, the bill makes sure that there are some minimal standards before an abortion is performed. Considering the consequences of an abortion I regard it as absolutely appropriate to require women who are intent on getting an abortion to have a conversation with a doctor beforehand. By keeping Oldiesfreak's original bill we can also highlight that sex-selective abortions are not acceptable in the Mideast.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »

Once again, I'd just like to say to Assemblyman JCL and Assemblyman Oldiesfreak1854 that voting against a veto-override is essentially an acknowledgement that you don't consider an abortion to be the same as murdering a newborn.  Heck, this bill doesn't even ban all abortions, so I'm a bit surprised to see folks like Assemblyman JCL essentially acknowledging there is no principle to stand on here.  As I said in another thread, if I believed abortion was the same as murdering a newborn (and I don't, ftr), I'd be appalled at the very idea that what this bill describes was an acceptable punishment.  I said it before and I'll say it again, if Assemblyman Oldiesfreak1854 and especially Assemblyman JCL (whose brand is standing on principle when it comes to social issues) then I don't see how either can oppose a veto override.  If they vote against a veto override, they're essentially saying "abortion is the same as murdering a newborn, but we should prosecute it like it isn't even a violent crime, let alone murder."  Honestly, anything less than Assemblyman JCL's recently defeated abortion bill is essentially an admission by its supporters that abortion is both different and far less of a crime than murdering a newborn baby.

The penalty I want assesed is one impossible in this game if you really wanna get down to it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »

The penalty I want assesed is one impossible in this game if you really wanna get down to it.

But why settle for this if you truly believe abortion is the same as murdering a newborn?  Surely, you could keep fighting for the penalty you believe to be appropriate rather than settling for this.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »

But why settle for this if you truly believe abortion is the same as murdering a newborn?  Surely, you could keep fighting for the penalty you believe to be appropriate rather than settling for this.

While I may support the death penalty for unrepentant murders, the Atlasian Constitution has banned it. I was trying to work within the framework of Atlasian Law.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 05:18:56 PM »

I was trying to get it passed.  I knew it would be controversial if we prosecuted it like a violent crime, and I thought that was a decent compromise.  But people think it's extreme anyway.  I just don't get it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 12:38:52 PM »

We will now vote to override Governor ZuWo's veto.  Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  This will be a 48-hour vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies