Walmart shelves in Springhill, Mansfield, cleared in EBT glitch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:33:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Walmart shelves in Springhill, Mansfield, cleared in EBT glitch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Walmart shelves in Springhill, Mansfield, cleared in EBT glitch  (Read 6188 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »

These people are starving and malnourished. That's why they're on food stamps. Of course they're going to collect as much free food as they can when presented with the opportunity.

And stealing from Wal-Mart is doing the world a public service. Some would say these so-called "thieves" are heroes.

They are not necessarily either starving or malnourished.   They are neither thieves nor heroes.

I use a credit card to shop.  If the store announces that I can use my credit card, but they won't ring it up, I'll get more.

The store should not have accepted the cards. 

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »

Sounds like WalMart is gonna end up footing the bill for this. 

Uh, no, they'll pass the cost along, and still be competitive and the store will be filled with shoppers, but WalMart will most certainly not be the ones who ultimately pay for this.

Well sure, this is what always happens in capitalism- the errors of the rich are paid for by the poor.

However, in this case the amounts of money involved as so insignificant I don't so what the fuss is about.

If you care to classify this theft, old buddy, I'd suggest you're wrong, in part.  About 20% of the bill we pay in all retail stores is theft.

Then perhaps we should make a routine to shoplift every fifth purchase.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »

Lord knows, if people suddenly learned their debit cards weren't being charged for purchases through an electronic glitch, they would all behave like model citizens and not overcharge a penny before it was fixed. It's only those welfare cheats who'd act like such animals!

/ channeling Krazy
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »

Lord knows, if people suddenly learned their debit cards weren't being charged for purchases through an electronic glitch, they would all behave like model citizens and not overcharge a penny before it was fixed. It's only those welfare cheats who'd act like such animals!

/ channeling Krazy

The people have incentive not to overdraft their debit cards. For the moochers, they don't give a damn about that or the treasury that they are pillaging, do they? Nope!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »

/ channeling Krazy

The people have incentive not to overdraft their debit cards. For the moochers, they don't give a damn about that or the treasury that they are pillaging, do they? Nope!

As usual, you miss the point. If it was discovered that debit card transactions didn't affect one's account balance (i.e. weren't recorded by your bank) due to an electronic glitch, do you really believe for a second that the reaction to get free stuff while the opportunity presented itself would be any different at all? Or only "moochers" with food stamp cards act this way?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 09:32:16 PM »

/ channeling Krazy

As usual, you miss the point. If it was discovered that debit card transactions didn't affect one's account balance (i.e. weren't recorded by your bank) due to an electronic glitch, do you really believe for a second that the reaction to get free stuff while the opportunity presented itself would be any different at all? Or only "moochers" with food stamp cards act this way?

Those with assets would be more likely to pause to consider that there would be an eventual reckoning.  If those purchases are accurately linked to the cards used to get them, then there probably are going to be quite a few people who at the very least have found out that they've managed to get several months worth of food.  Hope they bought stuff that won't spoil so they won't starve until their balance goes back into positive territory.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 11:07:13 PM »

Whoa guys! I just got back from a trip to Walmart down here in Louisiana!!!

I made sure to keep an extra eye out for these "freeloaders" krazen keeps warning us about. From his descriptions, though, its hard to tell if these "freeloaders" are actually human or not, so I wasn't 100% sure what to look for.

I'll admit, it was scary; these hoards of these creatures can stampede at any time! I was extra careful.

Thankfully, I made it back here in one piece.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »

Whoa guys! I just got back from a trip to Walmart down here in Louisiana!!!

I made sure to keep an extra eye out for these "freeloaders" krazen keeps warning us about. From his descriptions, though, its hard to tell if these "freeloaders" are actually human or not, so I wasn't 100% sure what to look for.

I'll admit, it was scary; these hoards of these creatures can stampede at any time! I was extra careful.

Thankfully, I made it back here in one piece.

Vermin tend to relax after having sucked their victims dry, so it's no shock you were safe today.  However, they're likely to be on the hunt in couple of weeks so be careful then.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 05:57:49 AM »

I'd bet dollars to donuts that people using their debit cards would be MUCH less likely to be greedy asshats than those using EBT.  They'd also do better on a science test.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2013, 06:23:44 AM »

/ channeling Krazy

The moochers are the owners of WaMart, Krazen.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »

/ channeling Krazy

Of course. Most common men are honorable folk. There seems to be much less honor among moochers and thieves.

They didn't even have the decency to put the perishable stuff back on the shelves.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »

Certain Posters in this thread would probably feel quite at home in one of those weird Legitimist salons that Marius's grandfather would go to in Les Misérables, paeans to 'the people' in other contexts notwithstanding.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 12:56:58 AM »

If I ever invite krazen over for popcorn and a movie, remind me not to put in Aladdin.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »

/ channeling Krazy

Of course. Most common men are honorable folk. There seems to be much less honor among moochers and thieves.

They didn't even have the decency to put the perishable stuff back on the shelves.

C'mon Krazen, I'm trying to have a serious discussion with you, and you troll me with an obvious joke answer. Now what's your actual response? For reals this time, please.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 12:55:37 AM »

If I ever invite krazen over for popcorn and a movie, remind me not to put in Aladdin.

If memory serves, Aladdin and the monkey guy took 1 apple and 1 canteloupe. They weren't fat tubs of lard with several carts of stolen goods.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 01:52:16 AM »

I'd bet dollars to donuts that people using their debit cards would be MUCH less likely to be greedy asshats than those using EBT.  They'd also do better on a science test.

I think debit cards generally encourage more carefulness and inhibition than payment less directly connected to one's personal savings, and that could extend to this situation as well - but what do you mean by bringing up science tests?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 10:42:04 PM »

/ channeling Krazy

C'mon Krazen, I'm trying to have a serious discussion with you, and you troll me with an obvious joke answer. Now what's your actual response? For reals this time, please.
[/quote
Fine, fine. Don't even try to have a serious discussion. Roll Eyes keep going with your trolling joke answer that only 'welfare moochers', not 'regular people', would ever try to get something for nothing.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »

If memory serves, Aladdin and the monkey guy took 1 apple and 1 canteloupe. They weren't fat tubs of lard with several carts of stolen goods.

Yeah, I can imagine you saying that while we're watching the movie. And I look at you with one eyebrow raised and say, "Dude, it's just a Disney cartoon, relax." Then we bump hands reaching into the popcorn and you flip out because you put yours in first so I don't have a right to any of the popcorn. And later you'll draw a comparison with how the Genie is clearly a metaphor for the welfare state. And I'll sarcastically ask you what that makes Iago, and you fumble around for a second before saying he's "the media or something.. maybe the teacher's union!" At that point I go into the kitchen to slam back a couple of Advil because of the pounding headache you've given me. And God help us when you hear that line in one of the first few songs: "I steal only what I can't afford - and that's everything." No. No, I would not watch Aladdin with you.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »

Jindal moves to strip food stamps from abusers

Harsh punishment for taking advantage of a technical glitch that EBT or Wal-Mart were responsible for fixing.  Okay.  So a big corporation makes a mistake, and now the children of those families will go to bed hungry for it.

The real moochers win again.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 01:14:59 AM »

Harsh punishment for taking advantage of a technical glitch that EBT or Wal-Mart were responsible for fixing.  Okay.  So a big corporation makes a mistake, and now the children of those families will go to bed hungry for it.

If these people lose their food stamps, that means Wal-Mart loses revenue.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »

If these people lose their food stamps, that means Wal-Mart loses revenue.

Ah.  That's a good point, actually.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the courts, or through whatever means Jindal intends to strip people of their food stamp benefits.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies