Walmart shelves in Springhill, Mansfield, cleared in EBT glitch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:04:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Walmart shelves in Springhill, Mansfield, cleared in EBT glitch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Walmart shelves in Springhill, Mansfield, cleared in EBT glitch  (Read 6210 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »

Link

Shelves in Walmart stores in Springhill and Mansfield, LA were reportedly cleared Saturday night, when the stores allowed purchases on EBT cards even though they were not showing limits.

The chaos that followed ultimately required intervention from local police, and left behind numerous carts filled to overflowing, apparently abandoned when the glitch-spurred shopping frenzy ended.

Springhill Police Chief Will Lynd confirms they were called in to help the employees at Walmart because there were so many people clearing off the shelves. He says Walmart was so packed, "It was worse than any black Friday" that he's ever seen.

Evans believes it was natural human reaction that led people to fill up their carts during the glitch, but Walmart shoppers Stan and Judy Garcia feel very differently. "That's plain theft, that's stealing that's all I got to say about it," said Garcia.

Of course its theft. What a bunch of pigs. You can see why certain types screech about a minor 5% cut to this program as it adds to the deficit.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »

I was thinking of posting this, but I knew it would be pure krazen bait.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »

Too bad there were no employees in the building who weren't also on EBT that had enough pride in their jobs to stop this.  I guess that's what happens when you don't pay your employees any money and they don't care about their work.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »

Wow, I had to look up what an "EBT" is.
Maybe if I had ever shopped at a Walmart in my life all of this wouldn't seem so foreign.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »

These people are starving and malnourished. That's why they're on food stamps. Of course they're going to collect as much free food as they can when presented with the opportunity.

And stealing from Wal-Mart is doing the world a public service. Some would say these so-called "thieves" are heroes.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »

Maybe if I had ever shopped at a Walmart in my life all of this wouldn't seem so foreign.

In Louisiana it's called the "Louisiana Purchase Card"

As for the original issue, there's an obvious solution--trucker protest.
Link
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »

I've worked at places with millionaires and when free pizza was put out it drew a crowd pretty quick.  Hate to see what would happen if you put that free food out for people that really needed it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »

Too bad there were no employees in the building who weren't also on EBT that had enough pride in their jobs to stop this.  I guess that's what happens when you don't pay your employees any money and they don't care about their work.

They aren't equipped with riot gear to stop a stampede. In any case Walmart certainly has to incentive to stop the moochers as long as they are getting paid.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »

These people are starving and malnourished. That's why they're on food stamps. Of course they're going to collect as much free food as they can when presented with the opportunity.

And stealing from Wal-Mart is doing the world a public service. Some would say these so-called "thieves" are heroes.

First part is ok

Second part...you went full retard.

Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:25:38 PM »

In Louisiana it's called the "Louisiana Purchase Card"

As for the original issue, there's an obvious solution--trucker protest.

It's called a Lone Star Card in Texas. A few years ago, some Republican legislator tried to file a bill to change the card's name to the "Welfare Card" because the lone star is a "symbol of freedom" and shouldn't be used on a government assistance program.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »

EBT is food stamps.

It's worth noting that EBT systems went down nationwide this weekend. My local supermarket kept making apologetic announcements over the speakers, saying they could not process any EBT transactions. These people -- who of course were stealing food from Walmart -- likely thought that if they didn't grab food then and there, they wouldn't be able to get food at all until after the government shutdown ends.
Link
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »

They aren't equipped with riot gear to stop a stampede. In any case Walmart certainly has to incentive to stop the moochers as long as they are getting paid.

Of course Walmart won't be getting paid for the vast majority of it.  You've told other lies and distortions but I'm not going to get into it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »

Well a bunch of poor, mostly black folk acted like a stereotype. This is straight out of David Duke's fantasies if he was still running for office. This is just a sad, sad story all around.
Link
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 09:39:59 PM »

Well a bunch of poor, mostly black folk acted like a stereotype. This is straight out of David Duke's fantasies if he was still running for office. This is just a sad, sad story all around.

What stereotype?  Stereotypical human beings?  So when white people on Wall St can get something for nothing they refuse?

White people rip off Billions and cause Trillions of dollars worth of damage to the global economy and the Republicans in the aftermath want to give those people tax breaks and praise them.  Some darkies scrape a few crumbs out of a random Walmart and you guys go to pieces on the internet.  Why the different reaction?  I wonder.... hmmm.... what could it be?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06:33 PM »

Which is why krazen was so excited to post this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »

The Walton family must be devastated that their net worth of $150 billion just dropped by a few thousand dollars. This would be like stealing a penny from a normal middle class family.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 12:28:19 AM »

Food expensive and a lot of people are hungry, this is not surprising and neither is krazey's repetitive whining. I'm pretty sure if an electronic voting machine malfunctioned, krazey would be rabidly entering more than one vote for whatever Republicans was on the ballot. Lots of people will take advantage of electronic malfunctions, white, black or martian.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 12:36:33 AM »

Thing is, unless the system malfunctioned to the extend of not recording which cards were being used to get all the stuff they bought, those people may have just used up their SNAP benefits for the next few months in one fell swoop.  I hope they stocked up on things that will keep.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 08:08:37 AM »

Food expensive and a lot of people are hungry, this is not surprising and neither is krazey's repetitive whining. I'm pretty sure if an electronic voting machine malfunctioned, krazey would be rabidly entering more than one vote for whatever Republicans was on the ballot. Lots of people will take advantage of electronic malfunctions, white, black or martian.

Actually, food is far cheaper than it has been historically. Which makes the $80 billion a year that some of America shreds on this program all the more amazing.
Link
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »

Actually, food is far cheaper than it has been historically. Which makes the $80 billion a year that some of America shreds on this program all the more amazing.

Someone is nostalgic for the days of rickets and scurvy.  It makes more sense to me to spend $80 billion on preventative medicine than twice, thrice, four+ times the price on healthcare.

What's funny is Republicans will not hesitate to spend billions to pay farmers not to grow food.  But paying farmers billions to grow food for the poor is the worst thing a person could do... ya know, because Republicans are Christians.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »

Sounds like WalMart is gonna end up footing the bill for this.  Xerox, which manages the EBT system notes that there are procedures in place for when the system goes down, and out of 17 states where the system went down, only the two WalMarts in N. Louisiana managed to completely fail to follow them.  Even the police chief of one of the towns notes that other grocery stores in town suspended taking EBTs until the system came back up, and nobody is getting arrested because no laws were broken.

http://news.yahoo.com/wal-mart-xerox-blame-other-louisiana-shopping-gone-004043168--sector.html
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »

Sounds like WalMart is gonna end up footing the bill for this. 

Uh, no, they'll pass the cost along, and still be competitive and the store will be filled with shoppers, but WalMart will most certainly not be the ones who ultimately pay for this.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 12:01:58 PM »

Uh, no, they'll pass the cost along, and still be competitive and the store will be filled with shoppers, but WalMart will most certainly not be the ones who ultimately pay for this.

Well sure, this is what always happens in capitalism- the errors of the rich are paid for by the poor.

However, in this case the amounts of money involved as so insignificant I don't so what the fuss is about.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »

Well sure, this is what always happens in capitalism- the errors of the rich are paid for by the poor.

However, in this case the amounts of money involved as so insignificant I don't so what the fuss is about.

If you care to classify this theft, old buddy, I'd suggest you're wrong, in part.  About 20% of the bill we pay in all retail stores is theft.
Link
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »

Sounds like WalMart is gonna end up footing the bill for this.  Xerox, which manages the EBT system notes that there are procedures in place for when the system goes down, and out of 17 states where the system went down, only the two WalMarts in N. Louisiana managed to completely fail to follow them.  Even the police chief of one of the towns notes that other grocery stores in town suspended taking EBTs until the system came back up, and nobody is getting arrested because no laws were broken.

http://news.yahoo.com/wal-mart-xerox-blame-other-louisiana-shopping-gone-004043168--sector.html

So the private sector screwed up a perfectly good government program.

The managers of those two Walmarts and the district manager are screwed.  How dumb can someone possibly be.  If I was running the show I would stop it immediately and say sorry we are not taking any EBT cards today at all.

It's funny how the private sector screwed up but krazey people just want to blame poor blacks.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies