Is not being offended by being circumcized offensive?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:33:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is not being offended by being circumcized offensive?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is not being offended by being circumcized offensive?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Is not being offended by being circumcized offensive?  (Read 557 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »

Yes there are people that seem to feel this way. Any guy who says he's circumcised and it doesn't bug them appalls them. I once had someone flip out on me on DU for saying that (it was a woman actually)

The fact is probably at least 90% of guys who are circumcised do not care either way. To some people this is some massive problem, basically outrage at the lack of outrage.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »

O look another foreskin thread that's exactly what we need mmhmm yeah
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:58:59 AM »

Oh dear.  It appears I've started a trend.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »

People with completely imaginary problems tend to be that way.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2013, 02:56:28 PM by Torie »

You sound wound up way too tight on this one BRTD, and this comes from a guy who thinks the procedure is quite wrong actually. Chill out and smell the roses is my best advice. Life is too short.

Addendum: Well not you I see. I misread your text. Sad  Those that don't feel like you then.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »

Not something I've come across coming from the land of intact foreskins. I have however had people be offended at my own belief that when performed on a person who is unable to consent that I consider it to be an act of mutilation even when we seem to share common ground on severed labias, and piercing the ears of infants.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure that trend has been around since the Sumerians showed up on the arabian peninsula six thousand years ago. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »

I don't believe in making circumcized people feel inferior. Whatever option that is. I don't think I'd do it to my kid, but the subtext of this discussion always gets too close to "haha, you're circumcized—enjoy (if you can)!"
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure that trend has been around since the Sumerians showed up on the arabian peninsula six thousand years ago. 

That is certainly historically true.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »

Not something I've come across coming from the land of intact foreskins. I have however had people be offended at my own belief that when performed on a person who is unable to consent that I consider it to be an act of mutilation even when we seem to share common ground on severed labias, and piercing the ears of infants.

So are you bothered by that I don't think I'm mutilated and don't care either way about this? Because that's what I'm referring to.

I don't believe in making circumcized people feel inferior. Whatever option that is. I don't think I'd do it to my kid, but the subtext of this discussion always gets too close to "haha, you're circumcized—enjoy (if you can)!"

That's a good point and probably why people can be rather defensive about this.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »

So are you bothered by that I don't think I'm mutilated and don't care either way about this? Because that's what I'm referring to.

No. I'm not bothered that you think differently to me. Why should I?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 06:11:03 PM »

I don't get why the hell this is an issue. I like my dick. I've known it for over 30 years, and I'm not going to let some idiot judge me if I have a covered wagon or not. Why do you care?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 06:50:53 PM »

The internet's obsession with this subject really needs to DIAF.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »

I'd imagine I am a bit more clean than those who are not circumcized, so if I were to encounter somebody who felt superior to me over this, I'd just rub that fact.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »

dumbest set of threads in the world. Stop worrying about dicks.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »

Kinky!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 11:40:49 PM »

The internet's obsession with this subject really needs to DIAF.

I tend to agree, but please note it's the anti- crowd who makes the big fuss. I think Hagrid's point is the most valid, making points that it's not medically necessary with modern hygenic standards and whatnot would go much further than screaming about mutilation and making absurd hyperbolic comparisons to female genital mutilation. I think the anti- crowd (especially since many are foreigners) don't realize how much cut males might take offense to that and cause them to get defensive, which is part of the reason why there hasn't been much progress on this in their direction non-internet as there could've been. What I find most interesting is whenever this topic and the fuss comes up on DU it's mostly women raising the giant fuss (which kind of makes sense, since as I noted about 90% of circumscized males don't care and don't see it as a big issue), the most amusing being the radical feminist contingent who believe it or not have still managed to come up with arguments as to why circumcision is yet another nefarious tool of the patriarchy and leads to oppression of women and rape*.

*The last bit isn't an exaggeration, someone did once try to argue using some laughable pseudo-science and analysis of statistics that makes J. J.'s look solid to argue that circumcision leads to an increase in rape. After being shot down even by some of the anti-folks she simply edited all her posts in that thread to only periods and never spoke of it again. Too bad for her DU still allows people to check the history and view previous edited away posts, meaning her inanity will never disappear.

But this does bring up a valid point, you go to wonder why when arguments like THAT are used a lot of people elect not to take the anti-circumcision crowd seriously...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 12:26:18 AM »

Women judging men on their dicks is no less sexist than men judging women on their breasts.  Besides, if a woman chooses her men solely on penis preference, foreskin status or otherwise, she's obviously only after one thing and isn't worth going out with.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 05:57:04 AM »

I don't think so, particularly since it is a something that is predominantly done without the individual's consent. I do think it's wrong for parents to do it to their unconsenting newborn/child. If I had to guess, those that attacked the OP may be attacking the "like father/like son" reasoning that has helped perpetuate the procedure in the US.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies