German Elections & Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:49:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German Elections & Politics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 176
Author Topic: German Elections & Politics  (Read 663768 times)
EPG
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3800 on: October 03, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »

Number of constituencies has been reduced.

I wait parliament with 19 parties and about 5500 MPs.

Actually, if there were 19 parties in the Bundestag, there wouldn't probably be any overhang seats at all.

If one party gets everywhere slightly more votes than the rest of parties (and 300 direct seats) rest of parties were compensated with 300 seats for each party.

That would be possible but almost improbable.
If there were 19 parties in the Bundestag, each would have received ~5,2% of the vote and ~15 direct seats.

LOL, think of that: The largest party, at 5.4%, gets the chancellor.

The point where the threshold starts coming closer and closer to the results the actual parties get, and so you get serious parties -- contenders for government -- occasionally finishing below it, is a dangerous one for democracy; under those circumstances actual majorities can be reached with well under 50% of the vote. This was how the AKP rose to power in Turkey in the first place.

The German system can handle 6 serious parties like it has now, but it can't really reach more than about 10 or so without the identities of who finishes above and below the threshold starting to be more meaningful for the results than how much the actual parties get.

2013 already being a good example.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3801 on: October 04, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »

The CSU hits another record low, just like the SPD and surprisingly even the AfD (which already polled at 14-15%):

State election is in 1 week.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3802 on: October 04, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »

The CSU hits another record low, just like the SPD and surprisingly even the AfD (which already polled at 14-15%):

This is brutal. The CSU will get shreddered on October 14 while the Greens sadly absorb the left-wing support at the expense of the Social Democrats. The big question is what kind of a coalition would be formed under such a result? If the CSU drops to 35% or lower, I have difficulty to imagine Markus Söder can stay in office. I think a CSU-Greens coalition with Ilse Aigner as MP is possible.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #3803 on: October 04, 2018, 02:54:05 PM »

This is brutal. The CSU will get shreddered on October 14 while the Greens sadly absorb the left-wing support at the expense of the Social Democrats. The big question is what kind of a coalition would be formed under such a result? If the CSU drops to 35% or lower, I have difficulty to imagine Markus Söder can stay in office. I think a CSU-Greens coalition with Ilse Aigner as MP is possible.

I still think they are going form a CSU-FW-FDP coalition (as long as the Lindner Party won't puss out again.) But regarding you gubernatorial prediction, I agree with you: Aigner will succeed Söder.
Remember, the Free Voters politicians are still way more favored than the Green politicians by the Bavarian electorate.

By the way, am I the only one who observes striking parallels between recent Texan and Bavarian politics?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3804 on: October 04, 2018, 03:06:44 PM »

I still think they are going form a CSU-FW-FDP coalition (as long as the Lindner Party won't puss out again.) But regarding you gubernatorial prediction, I agree with you: Aigner will succeed Söder.
Remember, the Free Voters politicians are still way more favored than the Green politicians by the Bavarian electorate.

By the way, am I the only one who observes striking parallels between recent Texan and Bavarian politics?

Aren't the Free Voters defected CSU members? I don't think the CSU really wants such a coalition, but they will do everything to stay in power with the fewest possible concessions. An all but CSU/AfD coalition of the Greens, SPD, Free Voters and FDP would be interesting. I don't see it happening though.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #3805 on: October 04, 2018, 03:14:52 PM »

Aren't the Free Voters defected CSU members? I don't think the CSU really wants such a coalition, but they will do everything to stay in power with the fewest possible concessions. An all but CSU/AfD coalition of the Greens, SPD, Free Voters and FDP would be interesting. I don't see it happening though.

That's how Wilhelm Hoegner came into power (the second time). Tongue
But the coalition between SPD, BP, BHE and FDP didn't even last one whole term.

Cooperations between the CSU and the FW are quite common at municipal level, thus I don't know why it shouldn't work.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3806 on: October 05, 2018, 05:57:12 AM »

This Tender Take reminds me of the time Ron Paul came second in an Iowa Straw Poll and everybody was doing their best to avoid mentioning his name on Fox : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWet2SbU07c
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3807 on: October 06, 2018, 12:26:42 AM »

ZDF poll for next Sunday's Bayern state election:

Only 50% of voters say they have made up their minds so far about which party to vote for, an unusually low score (which could still lead to some surprises) !

Direct vote for Governor:

Which coalition do you prefer (CSU+SPD and CSU+FW is not even possible, lol):

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #3808 on: October 06, 2018, 12:50:14 AM »

I just became aware of a problem concerning the Greens.
As they have two top candidates (which isn't an official position), which of them would become Minister President if they were to manage to form a four-party coalition following the example set by Wilhelm Hoegner? Katharina Schulze or Ludwig Hartmann?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3809 on: October 06, 2018, 12:55:51 AM »

As they have two top candidates (which isn't an official position), which of them would become Minister President if they were to manage to form a four-party coalition following the example set by Wilhelm Hoegner? Katharina Schulze or Ludwig Hartmann?

In that case, they should play "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock" ...
Polkergeist

« Reply #3810 on: October 06, 2018, 03:44:27 AM »

If we get these vote-shares next Sunday are we heading towards an epic overhang/compensatory seat blowout?

ZDF poll for next Sunday's Bayern state election:

Only 50% of voters say they have made up their minds so far about which party to vote for, an unusually low score (which could still lead to some surprises) !

republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #3811 on: October 06, 2018, 04:32:31 AM »

Schulze is the inofficial top candidate of their campaign, Hartmann was irrelevant for most of the campaign, but she is too young to become Minister President, which is why Hartmann had to debate Söder recently, and he would also become Minister President in the unlikely case of a rainbow coalition.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3812 on: October 06, 2018, 05:28:56 AM »

Schulze is the inofficial top candidate of their campaign, Hartmann was irrelevant for most of the campaign, but she is too young to become Minister President, which is why Hartmann had to debate Söder recently, and he would also become Minister President in the unlikely case of a rainbow coalition.

Why would she be too young ?

She's 1 year older than Sebastian Kurz and he became Chancellor.

(or is there some age limit in Bayern to become Governor ?)
republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #3813 on: October 06, 2018, 05:54:41 AM »

The Bavarian Constitution states in Article 44 that the Minister President must be a Bavarian who is at least 40 years old. So Schulze will be too young in 2023 as well. Of course, Kurz shows that age limits are absolutly ridiculous.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3814 on: October 06, 2018, 05:58:21 AM »

The Bavarian Constitution states in Article 44 that the Minister President must be a Bavarian who is at least 40 years old. So Schulze will be too young in 2023 as well. Of course, Kurz shows that age limits are absolutly ridiculous.

Those age limits to become Governor (or US Senator or POTUS) are a joke in my opinion.

There are a lot of 18 year olds who are better suited and have more skills and street smarts than the average establishment politician and who'd be better suited to lead a state or a country.

18 should be the passive voting and candidate age for offices.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #3815 on: October 06, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »

You have age limits down there? Aha? Learning never stops...
But that at least answers my question.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3816 on: October 06, 2018, 11:47:15 AM »

So what is the most likely coalition? CSU+FW+FDP? I can’t really see Grüne working with CSU.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3817 on: October 09, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »

Probably the final poll ahead of the very important Bayern state election on Sunday:

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3818 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »

So which is more likely post-election: CSU-Green or CSU-FW-FDP ?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3819 on: October 09, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »

Will depend on Ilse Aigner and the CSU leadership and what they prefer ...

I assume that Söder will be out as Governor with such a result.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #3820 on: October 09, 2018, 12:59:51 PM »

I'm gonna stick with the latter. The similarities between the three parties are closer than between the CSU and the Greens.

By the way, in the last weeks the left-leaning media have been introducing several fromer CSU members who have turned their backs on their party and are going to vote Green.
All of them are farmers and have a strong Bavarian accent, of course... lol Roll Eyes
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.67, S: -2.92

« Reply #3821 on: October 09, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »

I'm gonna stick with the latter. The similarities between the three parties are closer than between the CSU and the Greens.

By the way, in the last weeks the left-leaning media have been introducing several fromer CSU members who have turned their backs on their party and are going to vote Green.
All of them are farmers and have a strong Bavarian accent, of course... lol Roll Eyes

It's a shame that Sepp Daxenberger isn't around anymore.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #3822 on: October 09, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »

I think the polls are underestimating the Greens. There is clear momentum on their side and I think that the SPD will land below 10% for sure in the end and the CSU might land below 30%.

If both members of Berlin's "grand" coalition lose more than 30% combined it would be quite amazing. And the Greens could overtake the SPD in Hessia too.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3823 on: October 09, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »

I think this will be the first election where even a Grand Coalition is not enough for a majority ...
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #3824 on: October 09, 2018, 01:23:45 PM »

I think this will be the first election where even a Grand Coalition is not enough for a majority ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxony-Anhalt_state_election,_2016
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 176  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies