Senate Bill: Let's Really Eliminate Farm Subsidies Act (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 11:10:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Bill: Let's Really Eliminate Farm Subsidies Act (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Senate Bill: Let's Really Eliminate Farm Subsidies Act (Final Vote)  (Read 5308 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 03:10:02 PM »

We still don't have a GM, correct? A cost analysis on this if it were just reserved to small farmers would be extremely beneficial.

In my hometown, if we eliminated farm subsidies to small farmers, my town would completely collapse, as would thousands of other farming communities throughout Atlasia.

Right now, Farm Subsidies go to the bottom 80% of Farmers.

And this assumes that people would just go about doing one thing, like that town that you have in mind would completely flounder and be completely unemployed. Chances are, if we give people enough time and space to ween themselves off of Government subsidies, they will find a way to doing something else or finding ways to make their farm more successful and able to survive without government subsidizing them.

That's why the next amendment that will come will create a long term time limit so that we don't do huge damage to the economy.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »

We still don't have a GM, correct? A cost analysis on this if it were just reserved to small farmers would be extremely beneficial.

In my hometown, if we eliminated farm subsidies to small farmers, my town would completely collapse, as would thousands of other farming communities throughout Atlasia.

I wonder though, why do these communities support Republicans. And correct me if I am wrong, but it's not just because of social issues. They support Republican economic policies until it affects them. The poor people in urban and suburban areas be damned.
Too bad this is Atlasia, where welfare is much more prevalent than in America. If the government is to play such a heavy role, as most in here support, I don't see what is so awful about providing assistance to the farmers who need it, unless it's just a middle finger to those with different values.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »

I wonder though, why do these communities support Republicans. And correct me if I am wrong, but it's not just because of social issues. They support Republican economic policies until it affects them. The poor people in urban and suburban areas be damned.
Too bad this is Atlasia, where welfare is much more prevalent than in America. If the government is to play such a heavy role, as most in here support, I don't see what is so awful about providing assistance to the farmers who need it, unless it's just a middle finger to those with different values.

There is nothing in this bill that prohibits social spending/welfare in rural communities. Why should we subsidize agriculture though?

Also in real life it is rural communities that give a middle finger to those with different values.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »

There is nothing in this bill that prohibits social spending/welfare in rural communities. Why should we subsidize agriculture though?

Also in real life it is rural communities that give a middle finger to those with different values.
With the elimination of subsidizes, we are destroying rural Atlasia. Not only will countless farms be lost as a result, but thousands of small businesses will go under as we transition to an urbanized nation even more rapidly than before. A lot of folks would be negatively affected by this legislation - I don't think the reward of a little extra money in our pocket is worth the affect this will have on so many communities.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »

As much as some would like to frame why I have put this legislation forward, this is, in no way, any vendetta towards any persons lifestyle. If I had my way, there would be plenty of subsidies that would get the chopping block. Sadly, even my friends on my side of the aisle would not support many of those efforts. This is one that has a bit more of a broad base support, so I decided to put it up. If people are going to get offended and make it personal, that's their problem, I don't give a damn.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2013, 03:50:31 PM by Senator Sbane »

With the elimination of subsidizes, we are destroying rural Atlasia. Not only will countless farms be lost as a result, but thousands of small businesses will go under as we transition to an urbanized nation even more rapidly than before. A lot of folks would be negatively affected by this legislation - I don't think the reward of a little extra money in our pocket is worth the affect this will have on so many communities.

I think you are worrying a bit too much, but perhaps life will be a little tougher for the little guy out there. That is why I support education for those who want to go into another line of work (which doesn't necessarily have to require moving to a more urban area but in many cases will). There will still be agriculture going on, only on bigger farms and thus there may be more inequality. Keeping that under control with a high minimum wage and strict enforcement of labor and immigration laws is a more desirable option for me.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »

As much as some would like to frame why I have put this legislation forward, this is, in no way, any vendetta towards any persons lifestyle. If I had my way, there would be plenty of subsidies that would get the chopping block. Sadly, even my friends on my side of the aisle would not support many of those efforts. This is one that has a bit more of a broad base support, so I decided to put it up. If people are going to get offended and make it personal, that's their problem, I don't give a damn.
Making it personal by explaining the affect it would have in rural communities, as I am one of the only folks in this body who actually have lived in one? If you want to call it that, be my guest.

It's fun to stick to "principles" in this game and support legislation like this, as unlike in reality, you don't actually have to worry about how this would affect people's lives. I'm trying to keep that bit of reality into consideration here. For many individuals, farming is all they have...it's all they know.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 04:20:09 PM »

Proposing an amendment:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »

I had an amendment in my own head that would've timed this out. Give me some time to think this amendment over.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »

While there are many other provisions that would need to be in place for me to support this bill, this amendment has my support.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »

I have modeled how the reductions may work as an amendment. Obviously, people should come up with their own and make their own conclusions. but here's a start. This is my amendment, so we can get a vote on TNF's.

Amendment is hostile for votes sake.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »

3-5-0-2 w/ 2 days remaining on 57:29

bore and Gass3268 not voting. Shocking, the dynamic duo has both voted for once. Tongue

You know, Mr. President, we could very well alter the aid from the way it has been since 30's and replace it with some other form that benefits the whole of the rural community. MY primary concenr is that we don't abandon these communities.

And they say that the Senate isn't interesting? Tongue Aside from some of the rhetoric, I think it has been wonderful and I wish I hadn't missed the best part. Scott participating is a one hell of a great bonus, as well. Wink Now if only I could had this over the summer on the Mental Health Bill. Tongue

I am dismayed by the introduction of real life animousities into this game (ex. In RL rural areas get what they want and screw cities and minorities). We don't have that going on here, there is no reason to operate in debates like it is.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »

On day remaining on 57:29

Come on Bore and Gass!!!

It is always somebody. Roll Eyes
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »

Actually scratch that, it ends in about twenty minutes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »

Vote on Amendment 57:29 by Maxwell:

Aye (3): NC Yankee, TJ in Cleve, and Tmthforu94
Nay (5): Maxwell, Napoleon, sbane, TNF and Xahar
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (2): bore and Gass3268

With three votes in the affirmative and five in the negative with time having expired, the amendment has been rejected.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2013, 05:47:28 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »

Aye
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »

Why is everyone so willing to help out farmers but then get all pissed off when a single mother who works 40 hours a week at $8/hour gets food stamps?

ya got me comrade

I'm I lumped in this group?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »

Aye
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »

Aye
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »

What about food security? I'm sorry to say that, but this one of the arguments that people that support farm subsidies tend to say. :/
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »

Aye I guess, but I don't like that we're trying to pay people not to work instead of subsidizing the work.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »

AYE.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2013, 02:27:43 AM »

Nay
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »

Aye I guess, but I don't like that we're trying to pay people not to work instead of subsidizing the work.

How are we paying people not to work? We should help them find new types of work and hopefully our unemployment system is set up to do so. Subsidizing inefficient work doesn't make sense to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies