***Politburo Elections*** Labor Party Fall 2013 Convention!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:31:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ***Politburo Elections*** Labor Party Fall 2013 Convention!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: ***Politburo Elections*** Labor Party Fall 2013 Convention!  (Read 11296 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2013, 09:14:17 AM »

So snowstalker, who would your vp be?

A federalist ticket supported by the labor party, well Tongue.

If either of those happen, I'm sorry, I'll have to go to the Progressives. Especially the latter.

There's nothing "progressive" about the Moderate Hero Union. Duke's candidacy represents an opportunity for Atlasians to unite around one leader in a way we haven't seen for some time.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2013, 10:33:44 AM by DemPGH, V.P. »

Hi, Labor.

There's a lot I want to say, but I'll try to keep it manageable in length. To preface, I am running, dammit, be it competitive or not, and you know I will be active.

First, I left your ranks so I could run a no-pressure Indie campaign, but since then the landscape has changed a bit. When this whole thing started I was about 5th or 6th in line, and now I find myself 2nd in line as it currently stands - together Labor and I can win this. I had no idea any of this would happen, and neither did anyone else. So, I am here, and I share the vast majority of your principles. On policy I've been most lukewarm to regional consolidation, but I signed onto the pledge because I think we need to talk about the subject, I think we need to get it right if we do it, and I suggested earlier that we send the Senate something tangible that they can work with. The pledge seeks to achieve all of that, and I will assist with regional consolidation wholeheartedly if I feel it's being done right and we do not have an overwhelming number of people complaining.

I'm sorry Bacon King had to withdraw. He's terrific competition, and it's too bad. I do respect his tenacity and intelligence highly.

I promise you, however, that I will more than meet you half way, and I will work with anyone constructive. At least wait to hear out me and SirNick when we release our Labor plank this week! Yes, I do really want you to consider me. Let me know anything possible that I can do!

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2013, 09:30:03 AM »

If either of those happen, I'm sorry, I'll have to go to the Progressives. Especially the latter.

There's nothing "progressive" about the Moderate Hero Union. Duke's candidacy represents an opportunity for Atlasians to unite around one leader in a way we haven't seen for some time.

While I have some issues with elements of Duke's campaign, I would strongly consider putting my support behind him.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2013, 09:40:05 AM »

Progressives to your left economically:
Myself
Siren
Scott
Oak Hills
Tiver
Superique
Butafly
GAWorth
Yeahsayyeah
Kashifsikhan

Progressives to your left socially:
Myself
Scott
Tiver
butafly
Yeahsayyeah
Marnetmar

A majority of progressives are economically to your left and a near-majority is socially to your left. Not to mention that the Federalist party candidate is to your left in both economics and social issues. I'd hold off on calling people not progressive enough when they're to your left on the spectrum.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »

Oh and Snowstalker, I want you to know that I remember you voting against me for the Labor Party endorsement for Northeast Governor after I voted for you in every one of your miserable campaigns for anything. Just sayin.

Yes, that was a dick move of me. And yes, my presidential campaign last year was...miserable.

But aside my, ahem, occasional forum trolling, I think I've matured as a poster and hopefully as a candidate. I want to continue the service I've given to Atlasia in the past. I know the odds are against me even if I do win the Labor nod, but I want to run a campaign for an Atlasia by The People the people, for The People the people.

As for the VP pick, that is as of yet undecided (well it is kind of decided, but said pick is undecided on whether to join the ticket).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »

I support my Vice President's bid for the presidency, and I hope that my colleagues in the Labor Party will consider doing the same. This is someone who cast the tie-breaking vote in favor of the Paid Leave Act, supports regional consolidation, and opposed Yankee's bloated mental health bill. DemPGH has worked hard to support my presidency and to make the game function over the past four months, as he did before that under President Marokai. He's also chosen one of the most promising up-and-coming Laborites as his running mate, Governor Sirnick.

Supporting the de facto Federalist ticket would be a step back for Labor and an admission of irrelevancy. As fond as I am of Duke, I can't support a ticket that is based on the failed doctrine of "regional rights," that won't stand up to Yankee, and that is unlikely to build on the past achievements of our party. We have the chance to support a serious candidate of the left, and we should do that.

Welllll that is not entirely true. I have not come to a conclusion of what needs to be done to spur the regions. I have said multiple times this is not something we can take lightly, as these regions all have historical traditions and borders we must consider, but I have acknowledged there is a problem and something needs to be done to fix it. I have not come out and said I support this or that, but that doesn't mean I am going to sit back and let it fail while clinging to the regions right moniker. Surely you know me better than that! I want nothing more than an active game. I have worked years to create that environment, with you and many others. Anyone who believes I would be OK with where things are heading could not be more wrong.

As for the health bill, I worked with him for months on it. Perhaps it was bloated, but as a Senate body and President, I am confident we can work together to cut out the unnecessary spending but accomplish what we sought out to accomplish when we began writing it a while ago. Mental health reform will continue to be a goal of mine. No, I will not simply use the same bill and ram it through, but I will not ignore the problems either. I'm sure that's something we can all agree on.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2013, 12:52:57 PM by Oakvale »

Myself
Siren
Scott
Oak Hills
Tiver
Superique
Butafly
GAWorth
Yeahsayyeah
Kashifsikhan

Myself
Scott
Tiver
butafly
Yeahsayyeah
Marnetmar

A majority of progressives are economically to your left and a near-majority is socially to your left. Not to mention that the Federalist party candidate is to your left in both economics and social issues. I'd hold off on calling people not progressive enough when they're to your left on the spectrum.

Yes, this would be a valid point if we pretend that one's positions on the "political spectrum" as determined by the Political Matrix test are in any way a meaningful indicator of progressivism.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2013, 12:59:07 PM by Scott »

Haven't we moved on from name-calling?

You don't have to agree with the Progressive Union... but have the courtesy to address it by its proper name.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »

You don't have to agree with the Progressive Union... but have the courtesy to address it by its proper name.

The "TNF is too mean!" Party?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »

The "TNF is too mean!" Party?
I recently endorsed TNF because he has become less partisan recently and has made multiple public statements about his willingness to work with PRO. I'd advise you to do the same.

Myself
Siren
Scott
Oak Hills
Tiver
Superique
Butafly
GAWorth
Yeahsayyeah
Kashifsikhan

Myself
Scott
Tiver
butafly
Yeahsayyeah
Marnetmar

Yes, this would be a valid point if we pretend that one's positions on the "political spectrum" as determined by the Political Matrix test are in any way a meaningful indicator of progressivism.
So what is your definition of progressivism?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2013, 03:46:15 PM »

I want to thank the President for his support and to say that one of the great pleasures of the game thus far has been campaigning and working with him. I think we have made a great tandem; similarly, the same responsiveness and passion for the game is there between Nick and myself. We would make superb, responsible representatives of Labor.

I am strongly considering a return to the Labor Party because simply put, you should have a formidable, serious contender in this race. A few Laborites have asked me if I would be interested in returning; frankly, I would – because it is my closest philosophical home, although I enjoy positive relationships with people in other parties (like the Pro Union), and I can work well with them.

If you are considering a Federalist, you may as well consider me. I left your party to become an Independent for no other reason than to give myself a chance to run. At that time the race consisted of Spamage, Bacon King, and me. Since then the landscape has changed significantly with further changes in the wind. I have supported progressive causes, and I will support regional consolidation that carries broad support. So I implore you to not get lost in this thing and allow me to be your representative in the Presidential race!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »

I am strongly considering a return to the Labor Party because simply put, you should have a formidable, serious contender in this race.

I knew from the outset that this campaign would be an uphill battle, with this as my steepest obstacle. Yes, I'm viewed by many most as a hyperbolic kid. But I have a past in Atlasia, serving as Representative, Governor, and both regional and at-large Senator. I've sponsored or cosponsored several pieces of legislation (including a fairly important labor rights bill), and was of course the nominee in October 2012. I don't have the best reputation in Atlasia, and I fully accept that, but to say I'm not a serious candidate is a tad of a stretch.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »

Look, I don't think we can allow Snowstalker to be our nominee because I don't feel he's electable. I can't fathom this party supporting the Federalists either. If this really is going to become an issue, I'll primary him, because I don't feel Snowstalker can win.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »

Look, I don't think we can allow Snowstalker to be our nominee because I don't feel he's electable. I can't fathom this party supporting the Federalists either. If this really is going to become an issue, I'll primary him, because I don't feel Snowstalker can win.

I'm inclined to agree with the first point, unfortunately, but since DemPGH is apparently cynically deciding to rejoin the party in his quest for, er, a nomination coronation, you might not have to worry. This is, obviously, coming from the position of someone who's no stranger to party switches, so I know of what I speak.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »

Snowstalker, I never called you a hyperbolic kid, man! I'm just looking at polling.

Folks, this party at this juncture needs a uniter - someone who will represent 1) progressive interests, 2) be constructive, and 3) work well with the other centrist and left-leaning parties. I'll bring that to you instantly.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »

Snowstalker, I never called you a hyperbolic kid, man! I'm just looking at polling.

Folks, this party at this juncture needs a uniter - someone who will represent 1) progressive interests, 2) be constructive, and 3) work well with the other centrist and left-leaning parties. I'll bring that to you instantly.

I agree with all those points, Mr. Vice-President, hence my support for Duke. Wink
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »

Comrades,

The departure of the DeleGAtion from this race is a very sad day for Atlasia. BK and AG are two of my closest friends here. As I've noted in the past I wouldn't even be in this game if it weren't for them; I found this place through a thread BK made and Adam was the one who first PM'd me asking me to run as a Labor candidate for the Mideast assembly election almost exactly a year ago.

This took most of us by surprise and not in a good way, and with the rapidly changing landscape of this race in the wake of their withdrawal it was necessary for me to make a snap decision. Looking at the other candidates in the race we have a Federalist, a power-hungry anti-reform VP/AG who has continually abused the legal system to block the will of The People and any change to the status quo, and uh well Snowstalker...yeah. I had never before considered a serious run for President, but looking at this field I feel like we need another alternative. That's why I've decided to run and seek the Labor nomination.

I haven't had time to put together a bullet-point list of all the policies that I'll enact as President, but that's not what we need right now. What we need is something different. As you all know, the status quo in Atlasia is unacceptable and unsustainable. But a number of people with vested interests in preserving the current setup have fought back against change and will continue to do so for as long as this place exists. That's why I believe I should be Labor's candidate for President. I'm the only person in this race with a record of fighting for reform, and as I'm sure you all can tell my administration would be very different from anything Atlasia has ever seen before.

My switch back to the Labor party for this run has been a change in label more than substance. I started this game as a member of Labor and helped our party become the most powerful force in the Mideast for a brief period, before the likes of ZuWo, Inks, JCL and loldiesfreak took over that region. I've always considered myself a part of Labor at heart if not on paper. The Movement and Labor make natural allies, as the only parties seriously interested in changing how this place works.

In short, I hope you will consider me for the Labor nomination in this election, as the only candidate who can bring the change that Labor wants and Atlasia needs.

Solidarity,
Kitteh Purple heart
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »

I agree with all those points, Mr. Vice-President, hence my support for Duke. Wink

Oh? Can you point me to his current platform?

I'm not seeking a coronation. . . only a chance.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2013, 04:43:20 PM »

While I will be standing by my support of nominating Duke, I urge my fellow Laborites to give the reformist candidacy of Kitteh, the Gene McCarthy of Atlasia, the serious consideration it merits.

If nothing else, I look forward to an exciting primary that wasn't on the cards as recently as a few days ago.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »

Oh and Snowstalker, I want you to know that I remember you voting against me for the Labor Party endorsement for Northeast Governor after I voted for you in every one of your miserable campaigns for anything. Just sayin.

Yes, that was a dick move of me. And yes, my presidential campaign last year was...miserable.

But aside my, ahem, occasional forum trolling, I think I've matured as a poster and hopefully as a candidate. I want to continue the service I've given to Atlasia in the past. I know the odds are against me even if I do win the Labor nod, but I want to run a campaign for an Atlasia by The People the people, for The People the people.

As for the VP pick, that is as of yet undecided (well it is kind of decided, but said pick is undecided on whether to join the ticket).

I think you need to step aside. You were the top of the ticket and lost by a 23 point margin. I don't want this election to be a repeat.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2013, 05:33:45 PM »

I think you need to step aside. You were the top of the ticket and lost by a 23 point margin. I don't want this election to be a repeat.

You guys remember when everyone had those "don't blame me, I voted for Snowstalker" signs in their sigs? lol

(for you newbies, that was in the bottom of Napoleon's presidency, when his approval was in the single digits)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »

You guys remember when everyone had those "don't blame me, I voted for Snowstalker" signs in their sigs? lol

(for you newbies, that was in the bottom of Napoleon's presidency, when his approval was in the single digits)
Considering how Napoleon's disastrous second term turned out, I remain proud to have been one of the minority who voted for the Labor ticket that election.

It's also worth remembering that as much as I've harangued Snowstalker, at the time Napoleon was very popular, coming off a successful first term, and running with a well-respected Labor VP. Any independent Labor candidate would have been clobbered.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »

Honestly, I expected to do a lot worse against Napoleon that year (I was shocked to get second).

I welcome the competition from my friend/running mate for three days Comrade Kitteh. But I hope the party delegates will remember which candidate not only didn't just join the party today,but was a founding member (and gave us the name Labor Party). Wink
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »

That was my other main reservation on running, and I admit that to be a genuine fault in my campaign. But if it makes any difference, I've been doing my research and hope to hobble together a platform with some assistance. At the same time, perhaps there's a good side in an outsider campaign. Perhaps this is like 1968, and I'm Nixon and DemPGH is Rockefeller. Tongue

If the party nominates DemPGH and Sirnick (or Drj and Huh) over me, I'll accept that. But I hope, again, that I am worthy of your consideration.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2013, 06:12:13 PM »

Yeah I agree with everything that's been said here, for those of us who remember, Snowstalker coming in second was actually a bit of an upset. And I too am proud to have voted for him over the total failure that was Nap's 2nd term.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies