Battle of Hastings voted most influential battle in history agree? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:13:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Battle of Hastings voted most influential battle in history agree? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Battle of Hastings voted most influential battle in history agree?  (Read 5125 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 11, 2021, 05:52:45 PM »

1. Hastings - 1066
2. Stalingrad - 1942/43
3. Leipzig - 1813
4. Cajamarca - 1532
5. Tours - 732
6. Adrianple - 718
7. Vienna - 1529
8. Yorktown - 1781
9. Waterloo - 1815
10. Vienna - 1683

For me, the battles of Tours, Adrianople, Vienna were about survival of races. The arab world would have dominated western and eastern europe. Stalingrad changed the outcome of ww2 and gave the west time to prepare resources to other regions.

I don't think Hastings was that influential. The language didn't begin as a consequence of Hastings in fact it was a successful french invastion. The nobility of england was french and kings such as Richard I didn't even like england. The vikings and saxons continued to live in english society particularly in eastern england and the north and it was in these rural communities away from norman control that english as a language grew. The development of the long bow as a military weapon changed england as a nation not the battle of hastings.

Battle of the red cliffs?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 07:10:24 AM »

1. Hastings - 1066
2. Stalingrad - 1942/43
3. Leipzig - 1813
4. Cajamarca - 1532
5. Tours - 732
6. Adrianple - 718
7. Vienna - 1529
8. Yorktown - 1781
9. Waterloo - 1815
10. Vienna - 1683

For me, the battles of Tours, Adrianople, Vienna were about survival of races. The arab world would have dominated western and eastern europe. Stalingrad changed the outcome of ww2 and gave the west time to prepare resources to other regions.

I don't think Hastings was that influential. The language didn't begin as a consequence of Hastings in fact it was a successful french invastion. The nobility of england was french and kings such as Richard I didn't even like england. The vikings and saxons continued to live in english society particularly in eastern england and the north and it was in these rural communities away from norman control that english as a language grew. The development of the long bow as a military weapon changed england as a nation not the battle of hastings.

Battle of the red cliffs?

Does Red Cliffs fundamentally change anything here? So Cao Cao finishes off Sun Quan and Liu Bei in 208/209 and reunifies the entire empire under his dominance (and presumably does away with the Emperor and pronounces himself Emperor Wu of the new Wei Dynasty). Cao Cao dies, of natural causes, and his son Cao Pi succeeds him as Emperor Wen. Cao Pi dies alarmingly young of illness as he was always destined to do like IRL and the rest of the Caos are dithering idiots who will allow the family's powerful and brilliant advisor, Sima Yi to slowly usurp power and subjugate the Caos and establish dominance for himself and his clan.

You just get a unified Jin Dynasty decades earlier, but you haven't resolved the problems that destroyed the Jin Dynasty originally: now that civil war has been legitimized as a method of dealing with political strife, it'll just happen constantly, and meanwhile the Xianbei peoples to the north are gonna invade and pretty easily conquer the Northern half of China the second Jin is distracted, and we're right back to OTL.

I don't think China reunifying 50 years earlier really prevents the Xianbei invasion or Jin (or Wei if the Cao Clan DOES keep power) devolving into infighting and civil war.
The tail end of the Han dynasty was a complete mess. The Yellow Turban rebellion decades earlier made things worse.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies