Battle of Hastings voted most influential battle in history agree? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:45:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Battle of Hastings voted most influential battle in history agree? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Battle of Hastings voted most influential battle in history agree?  (Read 5139 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: May 29, 2021, 12:01:01 PM »
« edited: May 29, 2021, 12:42:15 PM by lfromnj »

Bump, felt like this thread was interesting.

I can't see any argument for Tours being on this list but Constantinople's 717 siege not being on this list. The latter had to face a much larger Arab army and the defeat actually destabilized the Arabs very heavily.

Tours was mainly just a border raid.

I would also add the Battle of Warsaw in 1920 here.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 10:56:51 PM »

This is a fair suggestion, although predictions that the Mongols would race through North Africa until they reach Morocco if Ain Jalut went the other way ignore the giant expanse of nothing between Alexandria and Benghazi. Mongol armies had tons and tons of horses and they weren't about galloping across open desert with nothing to eat. The Mongols would've taken Alexandria, Cairo, and the rest of the Nile Valley and called it quits with Egypt.

Submitting for consideration the Battle of Badr. If the Meccans killed Muhammad at Badr, no Islam. No Islam, no Arab Conquests. No Islam, no separating the Levant and North Africa from European civilization and the two sides of the Mediterranean would be far more similar. No Islamization of Persian and later Indian civilization. Central Asia remains Buddhist (or Manichean I guess).  No Islam changes EVERYTHING. And the Battle of Badr was tiny. Just a few hundred people on each side.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was a bump, sorry.
Wait am  I not allowed to bump threads especially in a smaller board like this? I understand why necroes aren't great but history hasn't changed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies