Ron Paul: More women should sacrifice career to homeschool kids
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 09:34:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron Paul: More women should sacrifice career to homeschool kids
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ron Paul: More women should sacrifice career to homeschool kids  (Read 4618 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »

Ron Paul in 2012
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »

Sure, that's what you'd like it to mean. But you're not Stalin--yet. You can't just erase the past and purge your enemies, even if said enemies are yourself from a year ago.

I can't escape my past
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 03:06:10 PM »

Ron who?
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »

Ron Paul says that some parents may want to spend time teaching their children instead of in wage labor, and the American center-left goes nuts. 

My mother isn't qualified to teach anything. She's a nice lady, but I'm glad she wasn't my teacher because she wasn't qualified to do it.

My mother actually is qualified (former public school teacher, college professor, two master's degrees) and has told me she thinks homeschooling is a terrible idea and she'd never have attempted to teach me.

People overlook the fact that conventional schooling is also how children learn how to have professional relationships with authority figures who they have no ties to outside the "workplace." In a developed economy where everyone has a manager/supervisor, it's important for children to learn how to follow instructions, take orders and ask questions respectfully. Being at home with mom isn't conducive to this. In an era when the sum of your employment was going to be on the family farm or in the family-owned general store, this wasn't a big deal.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 04:08:06 PM »

I guess we can add "sexist" to the long list of Ron Paul foibles. That man is a piece of work. I loath him viscerally. Rand is much better by the way. I am quite impressed with him.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »

^ TNF is correct, again.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 04:31:05 PM »

Ron Paul says that some parents may want to spend time teaching their children instead of in wage labor, and the American center-left goes nuts. 

No, he said many more women specifically should do so. The sexism and detachment from economic reality wasn't lost on the rest of us.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »

How many of people responding in this thread actually watched the video?  One? Two?  The rest of you fail class for the day.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »

Nothing says personal freedom like banning an educational system you disagree with. Mandatory state education has been used to push a whole assortment of agendas from the evil (Naziism/Communism) to the innocuous (recycling). If parents disagree with something the schools are pushing, they should have every right to withdraw the kids from schools and pursue an alternative form of education.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »

Economically this wouldn't work unless all women did it. When both spouses work there is greater income. With more families having both spouses working for a couple generations now, inflation has gone up. If for example, all wives stayed home again, then the cost of living would go down, but there would be less income. We're at a catch 22. 50 years ago, women would be at home to attend the house and in case anything wrong were to happen while their children were at school and not out pursuing their dreams in the business world.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »

Where did he say women ought to be forced to stay home?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:02 PM »

Nothing says personal freedom like banning an educational system you disagree with. Mandatory state education has been used to push a whole assortment of agendas from the evil (Nazism/Communism) to the innocuous (recycling). If parents disagree with something the schools are pushing, they should have every right to withdraw the kids from schools and pursue an alternative form of education.

We have an alternative form of education, it's called private schools. Last time I checked, the only form of education being used to push agendas are home schools, with fundie parents taking their kids out of school in order to hide them from evolution/LIBRULS/things that invalidate a parent's worldview ("IF THIS HIGH SCHOOL LETS GAYS DANCE AT PROM, I AM TAKING MY SON OUT OF HERE!").

Home schooling cripples children in regards to social skills and future career paths, and quite honestly it should be banned.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 12:14:01 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2013, 12:19:22 AM by shua »

Nothing says personal freedom like banning an educational system you disagree with. Mandatory state education has been used to push a whole assortment of agendas from the evil (Nazism/Communism) to the innocuous (recycling). If parents disagree with something the schools are pushing, they should have every right to withdraw the kids from schools and pursue an alternative form of education.

We have an alternative form of education, it's called private schools. Last time I checked, the only form of education being used to push agendas are home schools, with fundie parents taking their kids out of school in order to hide them from evolution/LIBRULS/things that invalidate a parent's worldview ("IF THIS HIGH SCHOOL LETS GAYS DANCE AT PROM, I AM TAKING MY SON OUT OF HERE!").

Home schooling cripples children in regards to social skills and future career paths, and quite honestly it should be banned.

You need to check again then.  Educators are constantly pushing all sorts of agendas. I don't know how you can spend any time in a classroom and not pick that up.  Maybe their agendas just worked so well on you, you didn't notice them.  The biggest agenda in education is conformity of the sort IndyTexas praised in this thread.  Likewise the push toward conformity is at the root of the drive to shut down homeschooling.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 12:33:53 AM »

You need to check again then.  Educators are constantly pushing all sorts of agendas. I don't know how you can spend any time in a classroom and not pick that up.  Maybe their agendas just worked so well on you, you didn't notice them.  The biggest agenda in education is conformity of the sort IndyTexas praised in this thread.  Likewise the push toward conformity is at the root of the drive to shut down homeschooling.

Don't act like your smarter than me. I know teachers are liberal, goddamn everyone knows that. When the other party spends a good chunk of their time calling teachers "leaches" and making sure they get paid as low as possible, most teachers are going to be Democrats. But you people act as if the teachers union gets together and decides that they're going to brainwash kids into accepting an idea. Instead of what really happens, which is sooner or later teachers are forced to address current events and they let their opinions out when they do so. When a school shooting happens every month, god forbid a teacher tells her students what she thinks about background checks. When a science teacher has to cover how the Earth's atmosphere works, there's a good chance he'll bring up global warming.

Also, home schooled people are the most conformist people in the world. They don't have a single thought in their head that their parents didn't put there. Putting a child in home schooling isn't a rebellion against society and conformity, it's a rebellion against the increasing diversity of people and opinions in the world.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 12:44:02 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2013, 01:48:57 AM by shua »

Right, in order to protect diversity of people and opinions we have to keep people from having any real diversity in what and how they learn.  That's what passes for being "socially liberal" these days.

Someone who claims that homeschooled students don't have any ideas they haven't been spoonfed by their parents must be working from a model of the mind as a passive empty vessel.  I can't think of a more powerful philosophical basis for conformity.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 12:51:24 AM »

Right, in order to protect diversity of people and opinions we have to keep people from having any real diversity in what and how they learn.  That's what passes for being "socially liberal" these days.

Again, private + charter schools exist if you want an alternative education. There's even a few that'll tell your kid that Jesus rode a T-Rex if that's what you want.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 01:01:46 AM »

All people may want to spend their time instead of in wage labor, and the American far-left goes nuts. 
Fixed
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2013, 09:06:42 AM »

Nothing says personal freedom like banning an educational system you disagree with. Mandatory state education has been used to push a whole assortment of agendas from the evil (Naziism/Communism) to the innocuous (recycling). If parents disagree with something the schools are pushing, they should have every right to withdraw the kids from schools and pursue an alternative form of education.

The only option other than homeschooling is a state education? Who knew? Huh

Anyway, it's clear that homeschooling creates maladjusted manchildren whose wingnut parents have indoctrinated them with fringe views while socially crippling them. Homeschooling is the preserve of white supremacists and Christian fundamentalists for a reason.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2013, 09:51:31 AM by DC Al Fine »

The only option other than homeschooling is a state education? Who knew? Huh

Anyway, it's clear that homeschooling creates maladjusted manchildren whose wingnut parents have indoctrinated them with fringe views while socially crippling them. Homeschooling is the preserve of white supremacists and Christian fundamentalists for a reason.

TNF is on record as wanting to ban public schools. My assertion stands.

Also, this notion that home schooled children are maladjusted is bigoted and completely unfounded.  All I've seen is people boldly state that they are maladjusted without ever providing any evidence to support it. At least Krazen bothers to cite stats from time to time.

Large portions of students take music lessons (Higher than the general population I'd wager), do group sports etc. Heck, 40% of them have outside classes from tutors. I know in my church the older homeschooled kids spend much of their time in community college classes to learn in areas where the parents knowledge is limited.

But wow two opinions without evidence or argument. I better change my mind.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »

Right, in order to protect diversity of people and opinions we have to keep people from having any real diversity in what and how they learn.  That's what passes for being "socially liberal" these days.

Precisely.

Want your kid to learn to read with phonics? Too bad. Want your kid to learn more about European history? Tough luck. Want your kid to grow up not believing in the Aryan master race in 1930's Germany? Can't have that now.
Link
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »

Ron Paul sells a home schooling course.  Telling people to stay home and buy his product is free market capitalism.  How does that conflict with libertarianism?  Libertarianism is not about doing what is best for society.  It is about doing what is best for your own pocket regardless of the implications for the broader society.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »

Homeschooled children outperform their public school counterparts on average in standardized testing. As charming as the anecdotes about nutty parents turning their kids into an indoctrinated fringe are, I'm having trouble finding any statistics that suggest homeschooling has a negative impact on childrens' educational success.
Link
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »

Homeschooled children outperform their public school counterparts on average in standardized testing. As charming as the anecdotes about nutty parents turning their kids into an indoctrinated fringe are, I'm having trouble finding any statistics that suggest homeschooling has a negative impact on childrens' educational success.

Correlation does not equal causation.  Your link is to a home schooling advocacy group and the studies they cited are mostly from decades ago.

No stable rational person I know would home school their children which is why a lot of us remain incredulous.  Also there is a lot more to grouping up as a healthy human being than standardized tests.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »

Correlation does not equal causation.  Your link is to a home schooling advocacy group and the studies they cited are mostly from decades ago.

No stable rational person I know would home school their children which is why a lot of us remain incredulous.  Also there is a lot more to grouping up as a healthy human being than standardized tests.

I am aware the link is to a homeschool advocacy group so it should be taken with a grain of salt. But the thing is Link, I haven't been able to even find statistics discrediting the idea that homeschooled children outperform children educated in public schools. I would think that, in our lovely era of utilitarian ethics and social liberalism, one should need to demonstrate, and with statistics not with ideologically driven anecdotes, that the practice of homeschooling leads to worse educational outcomes if it is to be banned.
Link
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »

I am aware the link is to a homeschool advocacy group so it should be taken with a grain of salt. But the thing is Link, I haven't been able to even find statistics discrediting the idea that homeschooled children outperform children educated in public schools. I would think that, in our lovely era of utilitarian ethics and social liberalism, one should need to demonstrate, and with statistics not with ideologically driven anecdotes, that the practice of homeschooling leads to worse educational outcomes if it is to be banned.

Besides home schooling advocates there just doesn't seem to be a real need to prove anything about home schooling one way or the other for the broader society.  The majority of people can't do it because current economic reality demands a two income household... not to mention the rise of the single income female headed household.  Also as others stated most people simply aren't qualified to teach.  So it is a niche market.

And as far as data there are numerous studies out there concerning socialization of children and it is enough to give plenty of us pause when thinking about removing children from the traditional school environment.  The act of getting up, commuting, following instructions from a non family member, interacting with a cross section of society, etc is important.  I would not want my child's first time doing all that to be when they go to college at 18.

I personally haven't seen a lot of independent research drilling down and studying homeschooling.  Besides when you talk to homeschoolers the reasons they often give for doing are tinfoil hat.  I mean this thread was started because someone saw Ron Paul pushing it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies