The GOP's newest anti-ACA campaign: Keep Uncle Sam out of your vagina!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:46:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The GOP's newest anti-ACA campaign: Keep Uncle Sam out of your vagina!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The GOP's newest anti-ACA campaign: Keep Uncle Sam out of your vagina!  (Read 2011 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/09/19/uncle_sam_obamacare_gynecologist_ad.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

See the ad at the link.

I guess the GOP opposes government interference in women's health decisions now? Wonderful news!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »

Keep Uncle Sam out, but allow Tom Corbett and Ken Kookinelli to come in!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »

How subtle. I guess there is a male-oriented ad too with Uncle Sam snooping around somebody's ass.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »

Well, clearly this is a "state issue" and not a federal one. Or something.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »

Sad that the debate over health care in America is between a quasi-social Darwinian private system and a mildly less awful private system.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »

How does one volunteer to inspect the vaginas of college girls?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »

Heh, any ad which features a doctor's office - a place young people can't visit without Obama-care - is counterproductive for the Republicans. 
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »

Can Uncle Sam survive that death trap?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:08:13 PM »

The best part of these ads (other than Uncle Sam) is when the nurses see that the patient "signed up for Obamacare" and get real passive aggressive
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:54:09 PM »

I honestly believe the Democrats are going to retake the House in 2014 because Republicans have/will bungled the Obamacare opposition THAT badly.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

Actually, it does seem like a good Republican strategy in the future to offer some "health care reform" just so that they restrict abortion, birth control and sex in general.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »

I honestly believe the Democrats are going to retake the House in 2014 because Republicans have/will bungled the Obamacare opposition THAT badly.

Well... if thats what you think. According to this article democrats would need a 10 point win nationally on the overall generic house ballot to take back the house. But hey, totally realistic.

As for the ad, its ridiculous of course, just like all political propaganda.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »

Well... if thats what you think. According to this article democrats would need a 10 point win nationally on the overall generic house ballot to take back the house. But hey, totally realistic.

If the Democrats win by even 6 points nationally, they will win back the house. I think it is doable with about a 3-4 point win even.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »

They did just that in 2008.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_house_elections
I also think the GOP may get surprised in a lot of suburban seats. The browns are moving on over in a hurry.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »

I'm pretty skeptical that, for instance, a 9-point win across the 435 seats could somehow put us in the minority, but nonetheless, when people realize that Obamacare is not the catastrophe they were promised, they'll stop listening to the Republicans.  Especially when the Tea Party has a disproportionately high amount of people who will see their bill go down thanks to Obamacare.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »

I'm pretty skeptical that, for instance, a 9-point win across the 435 seats could somehow put us in the minority, but nonetheless, when people realize that Obamacare is not the catastrophe they were promised, they'll stop listening to the Republicans.  Especially when the Tea Party has a disproportionately high amount of people who will see their bill go down thanks to Obamacare.

Its because of the much higher amount of competitive democrat seats than republican seats. The R's lost a lot of seats last year barely, so they have a higher amount of safe seats than the democrats. Not only that, but gerrymandering, is what makes it so hard for the democrats win the house this decade. And of course, its projected, so its not 100% realistic.

And about ObamaCare, you can say what you want about it, historically a sixth-inch midterm is not where a president peaks, in fact its where most of them are at the bottom, and where the other party historically comes back. My opinion is that ObamaCare will be proven an even bigger disaster than it already is. Either of us could be wrong, but I can't see how it goes up in popularity especially since Obama is trying to delay all the bad parts that the American public haven't even been exposed to. On top of that they already oppose it by a majority.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 02:47:57 AM »

Its because of the much higher amount of competitive democrat seats than republican seats. The R's lost a lot of seats last year barely, so they have a higher amount of safe seats than the democrats. Not only that, but gerrymandering, is what makes it so hard for the democrats win the house this decade. And of course, its projected, so its not 100% realistic.

And about ObamaCare, you can say what you want about it, historically a sixth-inch midterm is not where a president peaks, in fact its where most of them are at the bottom, and where the other party historically comes back. My opinion is that ObamaCare will be proven an even bigger disaster than it already is. Either of us could be wrong, but I can't see how it goes up in popularity especially since Obama is trying to delay all the bad parts that the American public haven't even been exposed to. On top of that they already oppose it by a majority.

Obamacare was largely modeled after Romneycare.

Of course, Romneycare was as controversial as Obamacare when it was first passed in Massachusetts. Those who were insured were terrified at the new rules and restrictions, premiums would skyrocket, the young would commit arbitrage, and the world was going to end.

Instead, the exchanges opened and the uninsured were able to get decent plans at a decent rate (including me, as a freelancer). No one's health insurance dramatically changed. You could still pick your own doctor. Rates didn't skyrocket; in fact, subsidies made insurance more affordable than ever. Doomsday never came, companies didn't flee the state, and most employers didn't slash hours to part-time. Romneycare is no longer controversial, at least to the same level.

The same will happen with Obamacare. The only real complications will come from these Republican governors, who are desperately trying to keep their states' poor population from taking advantage of money offered by the federal government. If Romneycare worked, so will Obamacare.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 03:05:38 AM »

historically a sixth-inch midterm is not where a president peaks....

I think this president will have a much bigger midterm than that, and so he'll be peaking.....

Sorry, got to stop myself here before the innuendo gets too heavy, but the joke writes itself, doesn't it?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies