Opinion of UofA Sororities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:09:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of UofA Sororities
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the heretofore all-white sororities of the University of Alabama?
Freedom Sororities (FS)

Horrible Sororities (HS)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: Opinion of UofA Sororities  (Read 202 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2013, 11:17:18 PM »

http://jezebel.com/university-of-alabama-sororities-still-wont-rush-black-1294674764

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Between this and "the Machine," the University of Alabama and its surrounding community strikes me as some twisted parallel universe where privileged white people (mostly men) pull the strings of everything just like the "good ol' days."

I was a GDI in college and one of the things that genuinely creeped me out about Greek life was the blatant racial segregation of it all. Why would I want to spend four years with a bunch of other upper-middle class, Sperry-wearing brown-haired white guys? Our fraternities and sororities weren't as high-stakes as Alabama's, probably because they don't have houses and participation is relatively low at my alma mater compared to other schools in Texas and the South. But still, I recall seeing chapter photo composites with a sea of white faces (and a handful of Asians or light-skinned Hispanics) with that one "token" black. But one is certainly better than none at all. And it's certainly better than having alumnae actually going out of their way to meddle in the affairs of girls from a different generation who don't share their visceral hatred of the colored folk.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies