1968: LBJ vs. Reagan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:09:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: LBJ vs. Reagan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: LBJ vs. Reagan  (Read 4939 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2013, 02:58:42 AM »

In 1968, California Governor Ronald Reagan clinches the republican nomination, taking it away from Richard Nixon by a close margin.

On the other hand, President Johnson is running for a secound full term and easily wins the democartic nomination, as RFK was shot to death in June.

How does the election turn out? Keep in mind that Reagan wanted more escalation in Vietnam. So the doves would prefer LBJ. Everything elese remains the same, LBJ stops the bombing on October 31, 1968. You pick the VPs.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 03:34:04 AM »

LBJ/Humphrey vs. Reagan/Rhodes

LBJ wins 306-232.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »

Johnson faces a difficult campaign due to his low approvals.  While approval of Johnson's handling of the war has gone up slightly since his low the year before,  a majority still disapprove. Even some of those who believe the war was a mistake are willing to consider giving Reagan a chance to turn things around.  Wallace runs an independent candidacy attracting mainly Southern and disaffected Democrats.  However, Reagan reaches out effectively to many of these same voters. Meanwhile there is concern over civil unrest, and both Reagan and Wallace tap into this.  Some Northern Republicans are hesitant to support such a conservative candidate as Reagan, but most are ready for a change. Reagan picks House minority leader Gerald Ford, generally conservative but with the ability to appeal to the more liberal wing of the party. Wallace picks country music star and former LA governor Jimmy Davis, and LBJ retains Humphrey for VP.

Reagan/Ford     341   49%
LBJ/Humphrey  170    42%
Wallace/Davis     27     8%

MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »

Johnson faces a difficult campaign due to his low approvals.  While approval of Johnson's handling of the war has gone up slightly since his low the year before,  a majority still disapprove. Even some of those who believe the war was a mistake are willing to consider giving Reagan a chance to turn things around.  Wallace runs an independent candidacy attracting mainly Southern and disaffected Democrats.  However, Reagan reaches out effectively to many of these same voters. Meanwhile there is concern over civil unrest, and both Reagan and Wallace tap into this.  Some Northern Republicans are hesitant to support such a conservative candidate as Reagan, but most are ready for a change. Reagan picks House minority leader Gerald Ford, generally conservative but with the ability to appeal to the more liberal wing of the party. Wallace picks country music star and former LA governor Jimmy Davis, and LBJ retains Humphrey for VP.

LBJ/Humphrey  170    42%

This.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 03:23:58 PM »

Something like this. I did the map a little fast though. Johnson still wins Maryland even though it was close in 1968 anyways. I'm not sure Reagan did better than 50% there either time and he lost it the first time.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »

LBJ/Humphrey  170    42%

This would be the most beautiful thing ever.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »

Humphrey stays as Johnson's VP and Reagan picks Nelson Rockefeller.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 02:45:44 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2013, 02:48:31 AM by President Johnson »

I think there is no way for Reagan to win the election.

Together with Wallace there were two right-wing candidates, LBJ was the only liberal in the election. Reagan was, other than Nixon, far more conservative and and served only 18 months in elected office while the president had political experience of more than 30 years.

My own suggestion is that:

President Lyndon B. Johnson/Vice President Hubert Humphrey: 305 EV. 50.7%
Governor Ronald Reagan/Governor Paul Laxalt: 188 EV. 40.4 %
Governor George C. Wallace/General Curtis LeMay: 45 EV. 8.8%

barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 02:57:46 AM »

I think there is no way for Reagan to win the election.

Together with Wallace there were two right-wing candidates, LBJ was the only liberal in the election. Reagan was, other than Nixon, far more conservative and and served only 18 months in elected office while the president had political experience of more than 30 years.

My own suggestion is that:

President Lyndon B. Johnson/Vice President Hubert Humphrey: 305 EV. 50.7%
Governor Ronald Reagan/Governor Paul Laxalt: 188 EV. 40.4 %
Governor George C. Wallace/General Curtis LeMay: 45 EV. 8.8%

Even with this map I don't see it being more than a 5 point race.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 03:04:45 AM »

Well, perhaps 46 or 47% for the democratic ticket. But I'm sure Reagan would not get all the votes Nixon got, as Nixon was still conservative but more moderate.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »

Reagan would have little reason to choose a fellow one-term conservative Western Governor for VP. He'd need a moderate or liberal from the Mid-West or North-East.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »

Historical gave Reagan Governor John Volpe of Massachusetts, a liberal Catholic. I personally like a Reagan/Fird ticket, especially before they became enemies. I've specialties on--I think--Senator Winston Proutt of Vermont.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies