Senate Hearing: SJoyce for GM (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:22:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Hearing: SJoyce for GM (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Senate Hearing: SJoyce for GM (Confirmed)  (Read 1433 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:56:05 AM »
« edited: September 09, 2013, 05:11:34 PM by DemPGH, V.P. »

E.O. #17
I appoint Sjoyce to the position of Game Moderator.

After careful consideration I'm pleased to announce that a superb candidate for GM has been selected in SJoyce. Hopefully, the confirmation will be speedy.

Since a new Senate comes in later today I'll give the full time for questioning plus a few hours, and at that I don't think we're sticklers down to the hour on question time. So have at it!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »

I'll advocate for the nominee before my question.

SJoyce is one of my favorite people on this forum, period. Besides being in complete agreement on a wide array of issues, he knows what he's talking about, and he's always adding to the conversation. You may not agree with him, but by god, you can respect him.

My question is, you do seem to have major expertise in Foreign policy, and I'm wondering what expertise you have that would make you a good GM?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »

Congratulations on being nominated.

What would you say are the main roles of being a Game Moderator? What would you like to see in your relationship with the SoIA and SoEA?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »

I wish to congratulate you as well on your nomination, comrade SJoyce.

What expertise and what knowledge have you of economic issues and calculations that makes you a good fit for this job?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »

What would you say are the main roles of being a Game Moderator? What would you like to see in your relationship with the SoIA and SoEA?

Based on a review of relevant statutes, the GM's role should include providing national, regional, financial and foreign news and information, including all information necessary for debate in the Senate, including regular news updates on wars, natural disasters, foreign events, and economic updates. My models for serving in this role shall include Griffin's Game Moderator office, what I saw of Shua during his time in the role, and reading old editions of the Atlasian Dispatch-Herald (Purple State's GM paper).

As for my relationship with the Secretaries, I'd like to regularly discuss event generation and reaction with them whenever necessary, particularly regarding the areas under their purview. I'd like to place my focus on national issues, but I see co-jurisdiction as both of us working to create events.

My question is, you do seem to have major expertise in Foreign policy, and I'm wondering what expertise you have that would make you a good GM?

What expertise and what knowledge have you of economic issues and calculations that makes you a good fit for this job?

Grouping these two due to their similar subject matter.

Anyways, admittedly, my experience in Atlasia has largely centered around foreign policy, but I've been a regional executive and legislator as well, so I'm not completely ignorant of domestic economic affairs. Probably most of my expertise here comes from outside Atlasia though - I compete nationally in  debate tournaments on a wide array of topics, so I keep reasonably up to date on economic issues as well. If it is found that I lack knowledge in a specific area, well, one of the things debate teaches is how to research, so although I'm not omniscient in economics I'll be fully willing to plug any holes as soon as they appear (probably make me better at debate too).
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »

You can count on my support, comrade.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:31:40 PM »

Should time become an issue are you more likely to try to maximize one aspect of the job at the expense of others or take an "across the board cuts" kind of approach? Weird question, I know, I don't expect you to be inactive or anything but hypothetically which would you aim for?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 07:34:14 PM »

How do you envision the future of the GM position?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »

As a regional executive, what would you like to see from us? I'm sure I would have a tendency to over-utilize the financial aspect of your position. In other words, how was Adam Griffin underutilized, and what can we do to correct that?

Also, I need a Senator to sponsor this question because I'm not one. Tongue
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »

I don't think questions need to be just from Senators, but just in case, I will sponsor your question Tyrion Wink
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 08:07:09 PM »

I don't think questions need to be just from Senators, but just in case, I will sponsor your question Tyrion Wink

Thanks Wink
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »

Should time become an issue are you more likely to try to maximize one aspect of the job at the expense of others or take an "across the board cuts" kind of approach? Weird question, I know, I don't expect you to be inactive or anything but hypothetically which would you aim for?

A bit more complex than that - probably my biggest priority is making sure we get regular economic updates. Stories would decline in number before that, but I'd rather delay (but not eliminate) economic updates than fully cut all stories. Probably a call I'd have to make when it hits me though.

How do you envision the future of the GM position?

I don't really have a grand vision of any big expansion in the future - I think it's doing pretty well as it is under Griffin. I'd like to expand the number of stories that are offered rather than just offering straight data, but other than that I think the GM is chugging along pretty well so far.

As a regional executive, what would you like to see from us? I'm sure I would have a tendency to over-utilize the financial aspect of your position. In other words, how was Adam Griffin underutilized, and what can we do to correct that?

This is really more, in my view, something for the SoIA - he's the point man on the regions and who you'll be most closely cooperating with. I'll certainly try to create various regional stories in cooperation with him that y'all can choose to respond to, of course, and you can continue to send me questions that I'll send estimates back for.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »

I have confidence in SJoyce to act as a fair arbitrator at determining the environment created by our laws and world events. You will have my vote in support.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 12:49:37 AM »

All my questions have been answered, you'll be getting an Aye from me!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 01:00:52 AM »

All my questions have been answered, you'll be getting an Aye from me!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 05:24:13 AM »

On bills such as the budget for instance, nearly every possible amendment (at least in the tax code portions) needs GM input or it cannot really be offered since you cannot determine the cost involved without that.

Is there a way to improve this situation, particular with regards to big and important bills like the budget?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »

On bills such as the budget for instance, nearly every possible amendment (at least in the tax code portions) needs GM input or it cannot really be offered since you cannot determine the cost involved without that.

Is there a way to improve this situation, particular with regards to big and important bills like the budget?

There may be a software program that could automate some aspects of budgeting, but it'd have to be relatively advanced to deal with everything Atlasia's done differently than America. Right now I don't see an easy fix, but as always I'm open to any suggestions.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »

This has about 13 hours left.

What about similar software for the economy as a whole, as a means to calculate the economic impact of legislation proposed. Does such exist and would it be a viable tool for the Game Moderator?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »

What about similar software for the economy as a whole, as a means to calculate the economic impact of legislation proposed. Does such exist and would it be a viable tool for the Game Moderator?

I'd have to do some searching - I doubt we can find something as complex as the reports we currently deliver, but something like this would at least give us a starting point.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »

This is at confirmation vote, the 72 hours having expired. Hopefully it will be a quick one! Go.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 01:03:53 PM »

Aye
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star