SC-Gov: Both Haley (R) and Shaheen (D) are anti-SSM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:59:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC-Gov: Both Haley (R) and Shaheen (D) are anti-SSM
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC-Gov: Both Haley (R) and Shaheen (D) are anti-SSM  (Read 1895 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »

As in today's The State.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not at all surprising, since Shaheen voted for the ban twice already. (To amend the SC Constitution requires the General Assembly to vote once to sent the amendment to the people for a general election referendum and then the next General Assembly must vote once more to ratify the amendment.) Frankly, if Shaheen were to come out in favor of SSM, he'd blow away what faint hope he has of winning in 2014.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:33:45 PM »

No surprise here. After all this is South Carolina.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »

As in today's The State.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not at all surprising, since Shaheen voted for the ban twice already. (To amend the SC Constitution requires the General Assembly to vote once to sent the amendment to the people for a general election referendum and then the next General Assembly must vote once more to ratify the amendment.) Frankly, if Shaheen were to come out in favor of SSM, he'd blow away what faint hope he has of winning in 2014.

Haley has yet to win a single poll against Sheheen.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:06:23 PM »

Both of them are horrible evil bigots.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »

As far as I know, no one has released a statewide poll for the 2014 race, but PPP did poll the matchup during the SC-1 special election and found Haley leading there 44-38 over Sheheen.  Granted, SC-1 is a bit more Republican than the Palmetto State as a whole, but unlike some Republican governors elsewhere, she hasn't done anything to generate massive outrage in the political center.  Sure, she's angered Democrats, but that's to be expected of any Republican governing in a solidly Republican state.

The only way Haley loses this election is if Haley loses it.  Sheheen can do nothing by himself to win it.  While there won't be the GOP surge that helped give her the win in 2010, she'll also have had four years to put to rest the fears that she'd be incompetent at the job or be a carbon copy of Sanford.  I'll probably end up voting for Vince again, but Nikki hasn't been as bad as I had feared she would be.

PolitiJunkie

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »

As far as I know, no one has released a statewide poll for the 2014 race, but PPP did poll the matchup during the SC-1 special election and found Haley leading there 44-38 over Sheheen.  Granted, SC-1 is a bit more Republican than the Palmetto State as a whole, but unlike some Republican governors elsewhere, she hasn't done anything to generate massive outrage in the political center.  Sure, she's angered Democrats, but that's to be expected of any Republican governing in a solidly Republican state.

The only way Haley loses this election is if Haley loses it.  Sheheen can do nothing by himself to win it.  While there won't be the GOP surge that helped give her the win in 2010, she'll also have had four years to put to rest the fears that she'd be incompetent at the job or be a carbon copy of Sanford.  I'll probably end up voting for Vince again, but Nikki hasn't been as bad as I had feared she would be.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_SC_1211.pdf
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 02:22:37 AM »

I stand corrected .  Still, I wouldn't build as much hope as you are doing from that poll.  It was conducted in the aftermath of Obama's national victory in an election that had very few contested races at any level in South Carolina.  It also has people identifying as Republicans 42-31, so for Sheheen to win he has to get some 60% of the Independents.  Also Haley's approval numbers have gone up considerably since their nadir back in December. She had a good 2013. The Winthrop Poll conduced in the same month as that PPP poll had Haley at 40-42 with registered voters for a net -2 disapproval in December 2012, but their April 2013 poll had Haley with 45-39 +6 net approval among the same group.  (PPP had Haley at 42-49 for a net -7 disapproval in December 2012.)  Even applying just the same level of shift in the Winthrop poll would give Haley a net approval by April in a PPP poll and a lead over Sheheen.  If one wee to attribute the difference in the December polls entirely to random variation (which probably is overstating the case), then the probable Haley lead in April would be even more solid.

So yeah, I'll stand by my opinion.  This is Haley's race to lose, not Sheheen's to win.

PolitiJunkie

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »

I stand corrected .  Still, I wouldn't build as much hope as you are doing from that poll.  It was conducted in the aftermath of Obama's national victory in an election that had very few contested races at any level in South Carolina.  It also has people identifying as Republicans 42-31, so for Sheheen to win he has to get some 60% of the Independents.  Also Haley's approval numbers have gone up considerably since their nadir back in December. She had a good 2013. The Winthrop Poll conduced in the same month as that PPP poll had Haley at 40-42 with registered voters for a net -2 disapproval in December 2012, but their April 2013 poll had Haley with 45-39 +6 net approval among the same group.  (PPP had Haley at 42-49 for a net -7 disapproval in December 2012.)  Even applying just the same level of shift in the Winthrop poll would give Haley a net approval by April in a PPP poll and a lead over Sheheen.  If one wee to attribute the difference in the December polls entirely to random variation (which probably is overstating the case), then the probable Haley lead in April would be even more solid.

So yeah, I'll stand by my opinion.  This is Haley's race to lose, not Sheheen's to win.

We'll see. I'd still call it a toss-up, but I agree that one poll is far from the end all be all and Haley definitely has some advantages.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »

We'll see. I'd still call it a toss-up, but I agree that one poll is far from the end all be all and Haley definitely has some advantages.
I would take Ernest's word on this, seeing as how he lives in the state....
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »

Thanks, tho sometimes one can be too close to the trees to see the forest.  We'll have a clearer idea by June of next year once the General Assembly session has ended.  Once that has happened, Haley (and Sheheen) won't have anything to do until November but campaign, but with the GA out of session, neither will have opportunities to anger the voters. Given how this state tilts Republican, Sheheen needs to at least be even then to have a chance and ahead in the polls to have a good chance. One of Sheheen's difficulties is that even when Haley makes a mistake, it has the potential to endear her to the voters instead.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2013, 08:27:51 PM by PolitiJunkie »

As far as I know, no one has released a statewide poll for the 2014 race, but PPP did poll the matchup during the SC-1 special election and found Haley leading there 44-38 over Sheheen.  Granted, SC-1 is a bit more Republican than the Palmetto State as a whole, but unlike some Republican governors elsewhere, she hasn't done anything to generate massive outrage in the political center.  Sure, she's angered Democrats, but that's to be expected of any Republican governing in a solidly Republican state.

The only way Haley loses this election is if Haley loses it.  Sheheen can do nothing by himself to win it.  While there won't be the GOP surge that helped give her the win in 2010, she'll also have had four years to put to rest the fears that she'd be incompetent at the job or be a carbon copy of Sanford.  I'll probably end up voting for Vince again, but Nikki hasn't been as bad as I had feared she would be.

I stand corrected .  Still, I wouldn't build as much hope as you are doing from that poll.  It was conducted in the aftermath of Obama's national victory in an election that had very few contested races at any level in South Carolina.  It also has people identifying as Republicans 42-31, so for Sheheen to win he has to get some 60% of the Independents.  Also Haley's approval numbers have gone up considerably since their nadir back in December. She had a good 2013. The Winthrop Poll conduced in the same month as that PPP poll had Haley at 40-42 with registered voters for a net -2 disapproval in December 2012, but their April 2013 poll had Haley with 45-39 +6 net approval among the same group.  (PPP had Haley at 42-49 for a net -7 disapproval in December 2012.)  Even applying just the same level of shift in the Winthrop poll would give Haley a net approval by April in a PPP poll and a lead over Sheheen.  If one wee to attribute the difference in the December polls entirely to random variation (which probably is overstating the case), then the probable Haley lead in April would be even more solid.

So yeah, I'll stand by my opinion.  This is Haley's race to lose, not Sheheen's to win.

Would you trust barfbag as the end all be all regarding Virginia politics?!?!

By the way, Ernest, who do you support in the race?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »

By the way, Ernest, who do you support in the race?

I'll probably end up voting for Vince again, but Nikki hasn't been as bad as I had feared she would be.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »

No surprise here. After all this is South Carolina.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 07:14:18 PM »

I'm staunchly opposed to gay marriage and civil unions.

Marriage is and will remain to be between one man and one woman.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »

After the ruling in US v. Windsor, the question is not will the Supreme Court require state recognition of same-sex civil marriages but when.  There's no way a progressive justice gets replaced by a conservative justice before a case reaches SCOTUS.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 09:50:56 PM »

This is not the case in a growing number of countries and states.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »

Why?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »

The levees have started to crack. I'm not getting into a marriage debate here, but saying it'll stay between a man and a woman is objectively wrong.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 01:22:03 AM »

Are you sure you're actually a conservative Democrat and not just a conservative Republican?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »

I'm a conservative Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies