RI-Gov: Chafee will not run for reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:22:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  RI-Gov: Chafee will not run for reelection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: RI-Gov: Chafee will not run for reelection  (Read 6259 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »

http://www.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/content/20130904-governor-chafee-will-not-seek-re-election.ece

In a move that dramatically shakes up Rhode Island's political world, Gov. Lincoln Chafee announced Tuesday outside the state Department of Motor Vehicles that he will not seek re-election next year.

The announcement, at a hastily called 2 p.m. news conference, opens the door for a number of prominent politicians who have been eyeing the governor's office.

Two popular and well-funded Democrats -- state General Treasurer Gina Raimondo and Providence Mayor Angel Taveras -- have said they are considering a run. So too has Cranston Mayor Allan Fung, a Republican.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »

Hopefully Snyder will be next.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »

I like him, but it's a shame things turned out the way they did for him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:23:57 PM »

I'll be equally happy with either a Pub or Raimondo. Good riddance to Chafee.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »

Not entirely surprising. Independent Governors have to be pretty great Governors to have any sort of base on their own and win re-election. Chafee was so unpopular though, so he abandoned it completely like Lowell Weicker or Jesse Ventura.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »

I think this says more about how much harder it is for liberal Republicans to rebuild their career after leaving their party than it is for conservative Democrats.

The success rate for conservative Democrats who became Republicans is a lot higher in terms of staying in office and/or moving on to higher offices. Louisiana is basically run by former conservative Democrats; so is Georgia. Mississippi, Alabama and Oklahoma have plenty of them in their state houses too.

But if you go to New England or the West Coast or other places where liberal and moderate Republicans were a dime a dozen 50 years ago, they're not still around existing as Democrats. They usually stay with their party and retire or get defeated for reelection. If they do leave, it's to become an independent (Lowell Weicker, Jim Jeffords) and usually they can manage to win one election that way.

But the liberal Republicans who become Democrats have always fallen flat. John Lindsay's spectacularly bad tenure as the Liberal/Democratic Mayor of New York is the worst case I can think of. Ogden Reid's career basically ended after he left the GOP. Add Lincoln Chafee to the list.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »

I think this says more about how much harder it is for liberal Republicans to rebuild their career after leaving their party than it is for conservative Democrats.

The success rate for conservative Democrats who became Republicans is a lot higher in terms of staying in office and/or moving on to higher offices. Louisiana is basically run by former conservative Democrats; so is Georgia. Mississippi, Alabama and Oklahoma have plenty of them in their state houses too.

But if you go to New England or the West Coast or other places where liberal and moderate Republicans were a dime a dozen 50 years ago, they're not still around existing as Democrats. They usually stay with their party and retire or get defeated for reelection. If they do leave, it's to become an independent (Lowell Weicker, Jim Jeffords) and usually they can manage to win one election that way.

But the liberal Republicans who become Democrats have always fallen flat. John Lindsay's spectacularly bad tenure as the Liberal/Democratic Mayor of New York is the worst case I can think of. Ogden Reid's career basically ended after he left the GOP. Add Lincoln Chafee to the list.

Chafee might have had better luck if he had joined Democrats the first time around instead of when he realized, oh sh**t, my approvals are in the toliet.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »

This race just went from Toss-Up/Lean D to Likely D/Safe D. Taveras and Raimondo are crushing Fung in the polls.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2013, 04:25:05 PM by Governor Maxwell, Senator-elect »

This race just went from Toss-Up/Lean D to Likely D/Safe D. Taveras and Raimondo are crushing Fung in the polls.

Saw the poll you were referencing. yes, Raimondo was crushing Fung. However, Taveras could just as easily be the nominee, and he would only lead Fung by 6, both under 40 and Block is at 15.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »

Saw the poll you were referencing. yes, Raimondo was crushing Fung. However, Taveras could just as easily be the nominee, and he would only lead Fung by 6, both under 40 and Block is at 15.
Not to mention, the election is still 14 months away, and things will almost certainly change before then.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »

Hoping Angel Taveras gets in. I like Raimondo, but I'd prefer a more economically liberal candidate.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »

Chafee might have had better luck if he had joined Democrats the first time around instead of when he realized, oh sh**t, my approvals are in the toliet.

Has Chafee himself actually done anything wrong or are Rhode Islanders just generally irritated with their horrible economy and blaming the incumbent?
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 07:50:03 PM »

Despite Rhode Island being very faithful to the Democratic Party in federal elections, Rhode Island is far from a liberal state. Chafee tried to run the state as a liberal and was crucified for it.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »

Despite Rhode Island being very faithful to the Democratic Party in federal elections, Rhode Island is far from a liberal state. Chafee tried to run the state as a liberal and was crucified for it.
Exactly.

Though I do think he could have managed the economy better.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 03:17:36 AM »

Well, i like him. Let's see what will be next. Whether Republicans will find a good candidate (i doubt), what will happen in Democratic primary, and so on..
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 06:54:01 AM »

The main problem Chafee had and all future Governors will have is that Rhode Island's economy is f**cked, and there's really not much anyone can do about it short of annexation by Massachusetts or Connecticut.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »

Gov. Lincoln Chafee announced Tuesday outside the state Department of Motor Vehicles

Is it just me, or is that a really weird location for a press conference?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »

Well, i like him. Let's see what will be next. Whether Republicans will find a good candidate (i doubt), what will happen in Democratic primary, and so on..

Allan Fung would probably be a fine candidate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »

Still, there's always the smithy, eh?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »

Huh

That's inscrutable even for you, Al.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 06:09:52 PM »

This is one of those "Ding Dong, the witch is dead" moments.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 06:45:09 PM »

Gov. Lincoln Chafee announced Tuesday outside the state Department of Motor Vehicles

I thought that too.  It's too bad he's not running again.  I always liked him; he was a bit moderate for me, but still a decent guy, and we need more moderate/liberal Republicans.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »

I thought that too.  It's too bad he's not running again.  I always liked him; he was a bit moderate for me, but still a decent guy, and we need more moderate/liberal Republicans.
My feelings exactly.  He became an Independent a few years ago, though, and recently he actually formally became a Democrat.

They had 16 straight years of GOP governors from 1994-2010, after all.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 01:53:26 AM »

Not too surprising. In many Southern states (especially - in DEEP South) there was virtually no Republican party before an exodus of conservative Democrats from their "new", more liberal, Democratic party. So, there was, virtually, almost no intraparty competition for influence and power (there were some exceptions, like Holshouser-Gardner governor primary in 1972 in North Carolina, but that's an exception caused by existence of "old Mountain Republicanism" in Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee). On the contrary, most of the North-Eastern states, where moderate-to-liberal Republicans migrated to Democratic party, had vibrant Democratic party before that, so competition was fierce, and, thus, the transition went much less smoothly.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 05:29:43 AM »

Considering the composition of the Legislature, how strong is the Governor of RI really?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies