2000 Election Game: Campaign Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:18:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000 Election Game: Campaign Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25
Author Topic: 2000 Election Game: Campaign Thread  (Read 92884 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: January 06, 2014, 05:08:49 PM »

Vice President Dan Quayle's Schedule:
(August 18 - August 24) Sad

"The general election has begun! And boy, I feel good about my chances. We are still on the lead, and the swing states are all more than winnable. With the help of the Republican Party and my running mate we will deliver a triumph for America, to signal the beginning of the next century. Mark my words: We are going to bury Tom Daschle in a mountain of votes! We will go to the South, to the Midwest, the Pacific, to New England, we will fight everywhere and we will contest this nation the way it should be done! We have the enthusiasm, we have the plan, we have experience and tested leadership, Our opponents can't even decide if they like or dislike the Clinton legacy. But I'll be clear on this, we need a new fresh legacy! We to start building a new government that has the old things that work and the new things that will work, and if you read our platform you'll see that message. I'm ready to win, and you?"

August 18th:
-Arkansas:
 -Arrival in Adams Field Airport, Little Rock, welcomed by Gov. Mike Huckabee.
 -Meeting with volunteers and officers in Little Rock.
 -Rally in Little Rock, AR, with Gov. Huckabee and Sen. Tim Hutchinson.
 -Town Hall in Convay, AR. (Defense, with Hutchinson)
 -Town Hall in Rogers, AR. (Immigration, with Huckabee)
 -Town Hall in Pine Bluff, AR. (Health Care, with Lt. Gov. Winthrop Rockefeller.

"Good day, Arkansas! How are feeling today? I'd like to talk to you about Defense today, given that my opponent barely talks about it. And you see, some of you are probably thinking: What of it, Dan? The Cold War's over! Indeed, the Cold War is over, and we are the strongest nation. But we have to stand strong if we truly want to lead the free world. We have to stand strong, we have to repair our relationships with our allies and we have to acknowledge that sometimes we have to intervene in certain conflicts, as we did with George Bush in Panama or Iraq, swift operations with a concrete goal. President Clinton has either ignored the crisis or he has weakened our responses with bad leadership. Rhodesia? Genocide, and Clinton did nothing. Bosnia? Chaos. Haiti? Don't even get me started in Haiti..."

August 19th:
-Arkansas:
 -Barnstorm and Rally in Fort Smith, AR.
 -Barnstorm and Rally in Fayetteville, AR.
 -Barnstorm and Rally in Springdale, AR.
 -Barnstorm and Rally in Jonesboro, AR.
 -Town Hall in Hot Springs, AR. (On Foreign Policy, with Hutchinson)
 -Town Hall in Bentonville, AR. (On Debt and Deficit, with Huckabee)

"I heard the President just said that Arkansas is the same as it was eight years ago... Really? Is he blind to the progress of this state? Is he ignoring the achievements of Gov. Huckabee, who has brought real Republican leadership to this state? Bill Clinton brags about being from a small state, but has he done something about Arkansas as President? For that matter, has Blanche Lincoln done anything that does not mean going against her constituents? She supports abortion, Arkansas does not. She supports gay marriage, Arkansas does not. She wants nationalized Health Care, and Arkansas... (Does not!) Exactly. How about you take a second look to Daschle/Lincoln and then you vote for a ticket that actually represents the state better?"

August 20th:
-Tennessee:
 -Campaign event in Nashville with Sen. Bill Frist, Sen. Fred Thomson and Gov. Don Sundquist.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Memphis, TN.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Knoxville, TN.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Chattanooga, TN.
 -Town Hall in Clarksville, TN. (On Social Security, with Frist)
 -Town Hall in Jackson, TN. (On Education, with Sundquist)

"To accomplish something in the White House you need leadership and experience, that is a vital combination. I have that leadership, and I proved it as Vice-President, handling the Philippines crisis, offering advice during the Gulf War, negociating with Congress and being the head of several organizations. I also have the experience and I'm tested, for I have worked in Congress, the White House and the private sector. My opponents has a few years as a Senator, and while he is very influential, he works behind the scenes. In all fairness, America does not know Tom Daschle."

August 21st:
-Missouri:
 -Rally in Kansas City, MO with Sen. John Ashcroft and Sen. Kit Bond.
 -Barnstorm and Rally in St. Louis, MO.
 -Barnstorm and Rally in Springfield, MO.
 -Town Hall in Independence, MO. (On Energy, with Ashcroft)
 -Town Hall in Columbia, MO. (On Russia/Europe, with Bond)
 -Town Hall in St. Joseph, MO. (On Abortion, with Ashcroft)

"I almost feel like home here in Missouri! And let me tell you this, Missouri is voting Republican this year. I'm not taking your vote for granted, but when you compare platforms you can realize that Missouri's views are Republican, not Democrat. A Quayle/Powell ticket is a ticket with conservatism and bipartisanship, and the Daschle/Lincoln ticket is your average liberal ticket. I trust Missouri to do the right thing in November and vote for the America you want: that strong moral America that cares about families and the middle class, that has a smaller and more efficient government, the America in which your rights and your freedom are secured, like your right to own a gun or your very own right to live."

August 22nd:
-Minnesota:
 -Rally in Minneapolis, MN with Former Gov. Arne Carlson and Sen. Rod Grams.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in St. Paul, MN.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Rochester, MN.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Duluth, MN.
 -Town Hall in Bloomington, MN. (On Leadership, with Carlson)
 -Town Hall in Plymouth, MN. (On Integrity, with Grams)

"They say I can't win Minnesota! I disagree, ladies and gentlemen! Minnesota is a state tired of inefficiency, this is a state that wants things to be done, that wants officeholders to actually do their jobs. You've seen me in action, you know that I work hard and I always speak my mind. I ask you for your trust, and in exchange, I will deliver integrity, honor and efficiency to the White House. Enough of Whitewater, enough of Monica Lewinsky, enough of it! I ask you for your trust to change this things and lead America to a new era. Will you help me, Minnesota?"

August 23rd:
-Wisconsin:
 -Rally in Milwaukee, WI with Gov. Tommy Thompson and Former Sen. Bob Kasten.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Madison, WI.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Green Bay, WI.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Kenosha, WI.
 -Town Hall in Racine, WI. (On Urban Renewal, with Thompson)
 -Town Hall in Appelton, WI. (On the Budget, with Kasten)

"Things are looking good, Dan. Our polls have you up across the Midwest and the South, and it's only a matter of time before you lock those states. That, combined with Powell's popularity and how unknown Daschle is to the voters may very well secure a landslide for your, at least in electoral vote terms."

August 24th:
-Michigan:
 -Campaign event in Detroit with Gov. John Engler.
 -Barnstorm and Rally in Detroit, MI with Engler.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Lansing, MI.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Flint, MI.
 -Bus Tour and Rally in Grand Rapids.
 -Interviews with local press.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #351 on: January 06, 2014, 07:03:56 PM »

Quayle 2000:

With the general election two months away and the Conventions ready, the Quayle campaign has reportedly hosted several private meetings, most of them headed by Kyle McSlarrow, David J. Doyle and John Sununu. Insider sources say that donors and officeholders alike have been called in hopes to securing their support in financial backing and in campaign affairs, and apparently those efforts have been sucessful. Since Mr. Quayle and Mr. Powell can't be everywhere, the strategy is to use the Governors, Senators and Representatives of the GOP to campaign in all states, in hopes of firing up the base and increasing turnout to secure a popular vote victory.

Likewise, fundraising is doing great, and as a result the Quayle campaign will release a lot of TV ads for the next two months, trying to define Quayle/Powell while countering the Democratic talking points. Having secured establishment and grassroots support in the party, Quayle staffers are convinced that victory will come in November, and Mr. Quayle's website seems to believe that a well, since they have started to talk about the future of the potential Quayle administration. There has also been some talk about the Cabinet, and while we can't confirm anything, former potential VP picks are rumored to be candidates for the Cabinet, like Sen. John McCain, Gov. Frank Keating and Elizabeth Dole.

Mr. Quayle also took intense Debate training sessions with Sununu, Baker and Newt Gingrich, so many expect him to give a great performance in the debates, thus erasing his bad performance of 1988 and his average one in 1992. There's a lot of wishful thinking in the Quayle strategy, and he will definetly need good luck to win the election, but he's definetly much closer to win than back in February.

Quayle Surrogates:

Mike Huckabee:

August 18-24: Barnstorming Arkansas, reminding the state of Republican progress and going after Blanche Lincoln for being "too liberal".

John Kasich:

August 18-24: Holding Town Halls across Ohio in support of Quayle, calling for a balanced budget.

Newt Gingrich:

August 18-24: Rallies in Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee, praising Quayle for his social and economic proposals.

John Engler:

August 18-24: Rallies and Town Halls in Michigan, calling for progress with a Republican in the White House.

Judd Gregg:

August 18-24: Town Halls in New Hampshire about economic policy and national security.

John McCain:

August 18-24: Rallies in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Nevada on immigration and campaign reform.

Tom Ridge:

August 18-24: Barnstorming Pennsylvania, talking about foreign policy and family values.

George W. Bush:

August 18-24: Rallies in Texas, Iowa and Missouri on Education.

Jeb Bush:

August 18-24: Town Halls in Florida about Health Care and Immigration.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #352 on: January 06, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »

Dan Quayle TV Ad: Health Care Reform:

States: Florida, Oregon and Ohio:

Voiceover: Our government keeps growing and debt is growing as well. Recent studies have proved that our current Health Care system will collapse at a given point, but the Democratic Party insists on making it larger. They have gone after Dan Quayle, saying that he wants to cut all aid, thus making live very hard on all Americans.

(Pictures of hospitals and DNC speeches on Health Care)

QuayleSadBut that's not the truth. For Medicare to survive — and more important, to succeed — it must become a common enterprise of government, health professionals, and hospitals alike. Rather than continue the practice of recurrent and unpredictable cuts in provider payments, a reformed Medicare program will allow health care providers, particularly those helping rural and underserved populations, to adapt to changing conditions in health care by providing reimbursement at levels that will permit health care providers to continue to care for these patients.

VoiceoverSadDan Quayle wants to make Health Care more efficient, and in doing so, lives won't be put at risk, they will be preserved. When the time comes, vote Dan Quayle for President.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Dan Quayle TV Ad: Coal and Energy Independence:

States: West Virginia:

Voiceover: The environment is very important to all Americans, and both Dan Quayle and Tom Daschle support efforts to save the American environment. The difference? Dan Quayle believes that we must be mindful of economical consequences. Tom Daschle does not.

(Pictures of West Virginia Coal Mines)

Voiceover: The economy of West Virginia depends on coal, and so do many jobs. Dan Quayle will gradually look for better ways to use different fuels, but he will make sure that no jobs are lost as a result of that. Tom Daschle? He wants to restrict and regulate coal, an action that might lead to job losses in West Virginia. The choice is clear. When the time comes, vote Dan Quayle for President.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #353 on: January 06, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »

The Following Daschle Ad shall play in Western Pennsylvania , Western North Carolina, West Virginia, SE, Ohio, and Eastern Kentucky for three weeks.

People ask why does Tom Daschle want to regulate coal? The answer in his words is to make the air you breathe cleaner, and to preserve coal for future generations. We don't want to be the next China, with smog outs every other day. Tom Daschle will make sure that happens.

I'm Tom Daschle and I approve this message

The Following Daschle Ad shall play in Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico and Southern and Western Texas for two weeks.

Tom Daschle wants to propose a reasonable solution to our immigration morass... Dan Quayle on the other hand is beholden to the far-right of his party, a group that wishes to continue the status quo at minimum, and likely even stop legal immigration. Vote Tom Daschle for President and all of his downballot Democrats on election day.
I'm Tom Daschle and I approve this message
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »

OOC: Bump!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »

OOC; Is this one dead?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #356 on: January 16, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »

I hope not, it's usually the players who have problems, but you and I are active most of the time, xD
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #357 on: January 16, 2014, 06:39:21 PM »

Sorry, guys. I've had a largely hectic schedule and this has fallen by the wayside. The game is still going on and the next update shall come rather soon. I've just got to be better with remembering. Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #358 on: January 22, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »

Bump!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #359 on: January 22, 2014, 05:50:51 PM »

OOC; Maybe from now on we should give Spiral X amount of days to post?

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #360 on: January 22, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »

OOC; Maybe from now on we should give Spiral X amount of days to post?

LOL, that would be very interesting...
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #361 on: January 26, 2014, 06:16:56 AM »

If Spiral doesn't update today or tomorrow, I will, so relax Smiley (expect an update for Tuesday).
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #362 on: January 26, 2014, 07:12:22 AM »

Would it be possible for there to be outside groups going into the fall election? I know this is around the golden age of the issue ad. I could run a pro-Quayle 501(c)4.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #363 on: January 26, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »

If Spiral doesn't update today or tomorrow, I will, so relax Smiley (expect an update for Tuesday).

Excellent! (you were a great GM in the General Election of the 2008 game)

Would it be possible for there to be outside groups going into the fall election? I know this is around the golden age of the issue ad. I could run a pro-Quayle 501(c)4.

I would certainly like to see this. MadmanMotley asked as well about the possibility of being a surrogate for the Quayle campaign, but I wanted to ask both JulioMadrid/Spiral and NewYorkExpress if they disagree with this. I think it gives the game more flavor, and the Democrats could certainly have surrogates and more ads as well.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #364 on: January 26, 2014, 07:34:13 PM »

For the record, I think Julio would make a great successor here, so I wish him all the best. Outside players being surrogates have always been okay with me.

I'm sorry if I've disappointed anyone during the last few weeks, although I hope I did an okay job overall.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #365 on: January 26, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »

]Well I certainly don't want to post all of Daschle's surrogates... however I'd feel more comfortable if someone agreed to play Lincoln...

For the record, I think Julio would make a great successor here, so I wish him all the best. Outside players being surrogates have always been okay with me.

I'm sorry if I've disappointed anyone during the last few weeks, although I hope I did an okay job overall.

Spiral... I've got a proposal for you... Would you be willing to do additional ads for my campaign?(You don''t have to post every turn)  FYI, I think you were excellent during the primaries (I'm still shocked I actually won the Iowa caucuses) but we needed someone a little more active during the General Election. You didn't disappoint me at all.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #366 on: January 26, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »

This is contingent on the GM's acceptance of my outside group idea, dibs on Rove.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #367 on: January 26, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »

This is contingent on the GM's acceptance of my outside group idea, dibs on Rove.

Good Idea, but, John Kerry isn't the nominee...  I'm running as Tom Daschle Democratic nominee, in case you didn't notice...
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #368 on: January 26, 2014, 07:51:54 PM »

Good Idea, but, John Kerry isn't the nominee...  I'm running as Tom Daschle Democratic nominee, in case you didn't notice...

Oh, I thought you two were running neck and neck in the primary Woops.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #369 on: January 26, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »

We were and then Kerry dropped out...
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #370 on: January 26, 2014, 07:54:14 PM »

We were and then Kerry dropped out...

Ohhhhh. Okay. Ad pulled. Woops.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2014, 07:56:06 PM »

Good Idea, but, John Kerry isn't the nominee...  I'm running as Tom Daschle Democratic nominee, in case you didn't notice...

Indeed, I suggest you read the entire thread, Riley. Quayle and Daschle are a little bit different than their counterparts, and there has to be a lot of ad material on earlier comments. (I can't express how much I enjoyed making Quayle sound smart, xD)

Same thoughts as NewYorkExpress, you were great during the primaries! But indeed, the General Election requires to be really active...

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #372 on: January 26, 2014, 11:04:23 PM »

OOC; Since it looks like we're restarting...

A couple more surrogates (OOC; to give people ideas)

Mario Cuomo;

August 18th 2000

Fundraiser for Hillary Clinton 2000 and Daschle 2000 at Westchester Country Club, Rye, New York

Rally at Oneonta High School, Oneonta, New York
Tom Daschle and Hillary Clinton have made education a priority! Getting smarter is how we will defend our country from those who wish to do it harm, not getting tougher!

August 19th 2000

Rally at Yeshiva of Far Rockaway, Far Rockaway, New York
Tom Daschle thinks Israel can stand on its own... That does not mean he will abandon Israel! Daschle supports moving the U.S embassy to Jerusalem, an undivided and whole capital of a Jewish state!

Fundraiser for Clinton 2000, Daschle/Lincoln 2000, Israel 2000, Seltzer 2000 and Lieberman 2000 (With Steve Israel, Regina Seltzer, Hillary Clinton and Joe Lieberman) at the Westhampton Beach Historical Society, Westhampton Beach, New York

Fundraiser for Seltzer 2000, Clinton 2000 Corzine 2000 and Daschle/Lincoln 2000 at Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina, Montauk, New York (With Jon Corzine, Regina Seltzer and Hillary Clinton)

August 23rd 2000

Rally at The Jewish Theological Seminary, Upper West Side, Manhattan, New York (With Chuck Schumer, Jerrod Nadler and Anthony Weiner)
Senator Daschle may believe Israel can survive unaided, but he says that not out of anger or scorn, but because he has faith, faith that the Israeli military can handle any challenge put in front of them, any obstacle in their path, and faith that they can defeat any enemy.

Fundraiser for Daschle/Lincoln 2000, Corzine 2000, Lieberman 2000, Carper 2000, Clinton 2000, Dayton 2000 and Cantwell 2000 at the Prospect park zoo, Brooklyn New York (With Hillary Clinton, Mark Dayton and Joe Lieberman)

Rally at the Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York for Clinton 2000 and Daschle/Lincoln 2000 (With Hillary Clinton, Carolyn McCarthy, John Kerry and Alfred DelBello)
Dan Quayle and Rick Lazio think he's going to win New York? Well We're going to show him just how wrong he is... How wrong he are on gun control, how wrong they are on women's rights, how wrong they are on choice, how wrong they are on health care... They're just wrong folks!

Harry Reid;

August 18, 2000

GOTV in Albany, Oregon
GOTV in Corvallis, Oregon (with Peter DeFazio)
GOTV in Veneta, Oregon (with Ron Wyden)
GOTV in Eureka, California
Fundraiser for Daschle/Lincoln 2000, Cantwell 2000 and Feinstein 2000 at Riverview Country Club, Redding California

August 19 2000

Fundraiser for Daschle/Lincoln 2000, Feinstein 2000, Nelson 2000 and Stabenow 2000 at Lake Tahoe Golf Course, South Lake Tahoe, California (with Dianne Fienstein, Larry Ellison, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs)

GOTV in Truckee, California

Fundraiser for Daschle/Lincoln 2000,Ben Nelson 2000 and Pall 2000 at the Pocatello Zoo in Pocatello Idaho (With Linda Pall and Ben Nelson)

Fundraiser for Daschle/Lincoln 2000, Keenan 2000, Schweitzer 2000 and O'Keefe 2000 at the Conrad Mansion in Kalispell, Montana(With Brian Schweitzer, Mark O'Keefe and Nancy Keenan)

August 21, 2000

Rally at Okie Blanchard Stadium in Cheyenne, Wyoming (With John Vinich, Michael Allen Green and Mel Logan)
I know that all of you will almost certainly vote for Dan Quyale this November... but at least think about why you're voting for him, and when you do maybe you'll realize, that Tom Daschle is the best choice to lead this country from the Clinton era.

GOTV, Duckwater, Nevada

GOTV, Golden Valley, Arizona

Fundraiser for Daschle/Lincoln 2000, Feinstein 2000, Filner 2000, Barraza 2000, Barcaks 2000, Davis 2000, Kouvelis 2000 and John Graham 2000 at Temeku Hills Golf Club, Temecula, California (With Bob Filner, Susan Davis, John Graham, Peter Kouvelis, George Barraza, and Craig Barkacs)

August 23 2000

GOTV in Corvallis, Oregon (with Ron Wyden and Darlene Hooley)
Fundraiser for Daschle/Lincoln 2000, Wu 2000 and  Hooley 2000 at Trysting Tree Golf Club ,Corvallis Oregon (with David Wu and Darlene Hooley)

GOTV in Morton Washington (with Maria Cantwell)

Fundraiser for Daschle/Lincoln 2000, Loretta Sanchez 2000, Crisell 2000, Oden 2000, Baca 2000, Favila 2000, Kanel 2000, Schipske 2000, Harman 2000, Janice Nelson 2000, Schiff 2000, Gold 2000 and Case 2000 at Sea Hawk Stadium, Redondo Beach, California (With Joe Baca, Jane Harman, Loretta Sanchez, Ron Oden, Gerri Schipskie, Janice Nelson and Adam Schiff)

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »

Does anyone want to join the game before I start moderating?

I haven't had time today for this... Sorry, people. I promise tomorrow you'll get an update.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #374 on: January 28, 2014, 07:12:18 PM »

Does anyone want to join the game before I start moderating?

I haven't had time today for this... Sorry, people. I promise tomorrow you'll get an update.

I hope someone else joins as well, it would be great to see Nader or a Reform candidate (Trump, Hagelin, Buchanan).
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies