Is it time for a new Civil Rights Act?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 09:59:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is it time for a new Civil Rights Act?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it time for a new Civil Rights Act?  (Read 475 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2013, 01:10:57 AM »
« edited: August 30, 2013, 10:59:21 AM by Scott »

I wrote a little about this two days ago in my blog, but I wanted to get some opinions here.  We haven't passed any major civil rights bills since the early 90s, and today the same achievement gaps persist.  That's not to say conditions haven't improved over the years, but it's clear at this point that it hasn't been enough.  State voter suppression laws under the guise of 'voter fraud prevention,' the Drug War, poor education (especially in the South), and police brutality still very much exist.

The only thing remotely close to a modern civil rights bill that was proposed in recent memory is the FAIRNESS Act, which would have overturned a number of SCOTUS decisions that undermined the 1964 Act and other anti-discrimination laws, but from my knowledge, not many people were actually talking about it.  It would be nice if some congresspeople could reintroduce these protections and more, but sadly I don't see it happening.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:01:30 AM »

I agree with some of the provisions of the proposed Fairness Act, but not all.  But then I come at this from a more libertarian perspective than you do Scott, especially when it comes to acts of private discrimination.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 05:10:08 AM »

Many bills are long overdue, most of which have no chance to pass anytime soon. This is definitely among them.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:31:46 AM »

Absolutely. We need a new Civil Rights Act that establishes the rights outlined in Roosevelt's Second Bill of Rights, ends the drug war, and gives full legal equality to LGBT Americans.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:29:11 AM »

Absolutely. We need a new Civil Rights Act that establishes the rights outlined in Roosevelt's Second Bill of Rights, ends the drug war, and gives full legal equality to LGBT Americans.
^^^^^^^
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »

Roosevelt's Second Bill Of Rights sums up my position on this issue nicely.  As well as guaranteed equality for the LGBT community, and some reforms to the criminal/civil justice system that guarantees it is no longer simply the municipal and state level fundraiser it is now.  (for example, cops can't have "quotas" on moneys raised from ticketing people... the very idea is revolting, especially since they target poors)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »

I don't think anything parallel to a 1964 Civil Rights Act is needed.  I'm sure there are some reforms of our current civil rights laws that would be useful.  But, I would not create new classes of discrimination lawsuits.  That's really a can of worms.

I think instead we should have major legislation on scaling back the drug war and prison-industrial complex. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies