is cad(d) as offered by metro tech in okc a joke?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:44:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  is cad(d) as offered by metro tech in okc a joke?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: is cad(d) as offered by metro tech in okc a joke?  (Read 1547 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:16:23 AM »

discuss.

the instructor does seem to be incompetent.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »

Yes, Bushie won't win 40000$ a year after CAD.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »

No, but its very annoying how the French always say 'win' about salaries.

Walternitty, you have to realize, surely, that incompetence is the way of the world - and becoming ever more so as the doers of society are kept at such a low ebb of subsistence that their performance suffers greatly. 

One has no doubt that technical courses for working men in say Michigan in the 1950s and 60s heyday of unionism and Keynesian economics would have been enormously superior to anything offered now in the benighted wastes of neoliberalism such as Oklahoma.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »

Walternitty, you have to realize, surely, that incompetence is the way of the world - and becoming ever more so as the doers of society are kept at such a low ebb of subsistence that their performance suffers greatly. 

One has no doubt that technical courses for working men in say Michigan in the 1950s and 60s heyday of unionism and Keynesian economics would have been enormously superior to anything offered now in the benighted wastes of neoliberalism such as Oklahoma.

Lol, it's really funny to hear this. Firstly, it's really untrue. During Jospin-era, we, French, accepted to win less in order to work less. Before "Aubry law": we worked (legally) 39 hours, and we were paid for 39 hours. After this law, we worked 35 hours, and we were paid for 35 hours. So a salary decrease, but less work. Secondly, I think it's really hypocritical to hear this by an american. And I suppose I don't have to explain why Smiley.  And  thirdly, in my first post, I just made a Bushie reference, he said few days or few weeks ago he would win 40 000 dollards a year after CAD.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »

Lol, it's really funny to hear this. Firstly, it's really untrue. During Jospin-era, we, French, accepted to win less in order to work less. Before "Aubry law": we worked (legally) 39 hours, and we were paid for 39 hours. After this law, we worked 35 hours, and we were paid for 35 hours. So a salary decrease, but less work. Secondly, I think it's really hypocritical to hear this by an american. And I suppose I don't have to explain why Smiley.  And  thirdly, in my first post, I just made a Bushie reference, he said few days or few weeks ago he would win 40 000 dollards a year after CAD.

I think you misunderstand: No one in the United States uses "win" with money in the same manner in which you do. Here, it generally means you have emerged victorious from a contest.

You win $40,000 on a gameshow.
You win $40,000 in the lottery.
You earn $40,000 from your job.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »

Sadly, it seems so.

RIP CAD(D), RIP JEFF JUNIOR.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:46:22 AM »

Next time I find myself unemployed I think I'll head out to Metro Tech OKC and knock out a couple degrees.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »

I think you misunderstand: No one in the United States uses "win" with money in the same manner in which you do. Here, it generally means you have emerged victorious from a contest.

You win $40,000 on a gameshow.
You win $40,000 in the lottery.
You earn $40,000 from your job.

Thanks for this precision, I have misunderstood Opebo's post!

But, this example doesn't show a different mentality, it's just English is much more rigourous in term of vocabulary. For example, we have not a distinction between like and as etc.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »

wtf is Metro Tech
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »

'to earn' in french is Gangner? As in "je gange mon argent a mon travaille?" (apologies for the terrible french)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »

'to earn' in french is Gangner? As in "je gange mon argent a mon travaille?" (apologies for the terrible french)
"Gagner" yes, as "win".
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »

The diploma's probably not worth much, but if Jeff becomes really good at CAD because of the class, it's probably worth it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

"Gagner" yes, as "win".

Ahh, so it's like how French people say "ferme la lumiere" which literally translated into English (close the light) sounds strange. I had French babysitters when I was little, and I remember asking them "why can't you say 'turn off' ?", because in English they would actually say "close the light".
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »

I looked up the relevant info, but I'm not sure which program Bushie is in.

Metro Tech isn't a college.. it's called "Metro Technology Center" and offers everything from one time "journaling through the holidays" community education type stuff to self paced courses like CAD which can earn college credit at 2 year schools.

I'm not sure where to place this because there is nothing equivalent in Minnesota.  We have Community Education which is set up through the school district which offers various courses and activities for minimal fees (like swimming lessons, lifeguard training, CPR training, foreign languages, etc).  Or you go to a community college or tech college for various diplomas or 2 year degrees for things like practical nursing, auto mechanics, etc.

Metro Tech seems like a weird hybrid of the two that offers certificates in the various fields.

But in the CADD program, which is offered September-December (not August, apparently... which is why I'm confused), you pay $2100 and spend 3-6 hours per weekday on self paced work which is eligible for college credit (again, at a 2 year school).

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »

I think "winning" is more accurate then "earning" when talking about compensation from work.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »

A place where all your dreams come true--without ever having to wake up for class!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 10:36:56 PM »

"Gagner" yes, as "win".

Looking at the word "gagner", it looks like it is probably a cognate of "gain", which is still strange in the context, albeit far less so. Semantic shift is a tricky thing, and a big part of the reason why it can be hard to understand languages that theoretically seem like they should be very close to your own. My favorite example is "starve" and "sterben".
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 01:05:09 AM »

The diploma's probably not worth much, but if Jeff becomes really good at CAD because of the class, it's probably worth it.

Realistically, what do you think the odds of that happening are? I'm not optimistic to say the least.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 08:01:55 AM »

i wonder why papa bushie talked him into this path?

bushie, does your dad work with and admire cads?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 08:48:40 AM »

You shouldn't spell it like that....as "cad(d)".  The "(d)" will make it look like cad is a Democrat, and I don't think they allow those in Oklahoma.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 09:05:29 AM »

I think "winning" is more accurate then "earning" when talking about compensation from work.

Yep, lottery-like compensation.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »

not quite, but higher education is very much a scam.  this is hardly the worst case.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 05:07:09 PM »

do we have evidence that this MetroTech is accredited?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies