MI: "Eight Senate Republicans Join Democrats In Passing Obamacare Medicaid"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 01:26:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  MI: "Eight Senate Republicans Join Democrats In Passing Obamacare Medicaid"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI: "Eight Senate Republicans Join Democrats In Passing Obamacare Medicaid"  (Read 1161 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:43:48 AM »
« edited: August 28, 2013, 06:52:30 PM by Former Moderate »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/19070
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »

Massive FFs.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »

And massive tea party targets Tongue.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »

Which is really a win/win for Democrats, sad as it is. Win the expansion, then win the districts where the Tea Party successfully primaried.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 04:59:34 PM »

RINO's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »

Awesome, I was hoping they would be able to pass the Medicaid expansion here in Michigan. I'm not surprised it was so close though. Thank you to the 8 Republicans who voted yes and also to Governor Snyder who supported the expansion. The main Senator who opposed the expansion is my state Senator, Patrick Colbert. Kind of brave for a Republican from Wayne county but he was always a Tea Partier and votes how he believes regardless of how it would play in his district. He would have been a lot better off politically voting yes, his district is not that Republican, and isn't really Libertarian or very conservative.

Also when factoring the 2014 elections and how this vote will affect it remember the 2014 election will be held under the new districts. All 38 Senators are elected at one time to 4 year terms so the 2010 election was held under the districts drawn based on the 2000 census results since the new districts based on the 2010 census were not drawn and passed into law until 2011 I believe. Also Republicans had full control and the map is a Republican gerrymander. I'm currently looking at the 8 Republicans who voted yes and seeing how it could affect them in 2014.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »

Definitely looking forward to the results of your research!
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »

We should be expanding Medicaid to cover the uninsured who earn less than $30,000 a year. For those making more than $30,000, with no insurance, and no insurance option through their job, we should implement a public option. The public option participants would need to meet all three of these points of criteria. We don't need Obamacare to do this.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »

Republican Majority leader Randy Richardville is term limited, the 2014 district could be a Democratic pickup it is Monroe and Lenawee counties.

Tory Rocca, Sterling Heights, (Macomb county) His 2014 district becomes more Republican, He could face a primary challenge but that would be a bad idea and would put the district in play for the Democrats. He also voted against Right to work. Tory Rocca served 3 terms in the state house and both of his parents represented Sterling Heights in the state house and along with it becoming a little more Republican, I think he will be ok.

Senator Jim Marleau, Lake Orion (Northern Oakland County). You could see a primary challenge here as he represents the northern suburbs and exurbs of Oakland county, this district also includes Pontiac but it is outvoted by the conservative suburbs around it. The district in 2014 will go a little bit south to pick up  Bloomfield twp both which is quite rich of a area. A primary challenge here would not cause the Republicans to lose the seat as long as the person was not crazy or gaffe prone.

Mike Kowall, White Lake, (Southwestern Oakland county), Also a district where a conservative Republican could win still again not crazy/makes stupid comments. His district got smaller due to him representing the outer suburbs that are growing. He represents West Bloomfield which as a growing black population but the Democrats should not come that close here. I'm surprised to see him vote yes. I thought he might try to primary U.S. congressman Kerry Bentivolio but this will not help you with Republican primary voters. His district is almost completely in Bentivolio's district.

Senator Roger Khan, Saginaw county, is term limited. This should be a pick up opportunity for the Democrats. Obama won Saginaw county with 55% of the vote. the District  also includes Gratiot county to the west which Romney won with 51% but 80% of the people here live in Saginaw county. I believe the Saginaw district has sent Republicans in the past too, also for some reason this guy won in 2006 a big Democratic year. The new district picks up parts of Genesee county the outer areas and suburbs, so it might be a little more Democratic. Democrats have to pick up this district if they want the state Senate. Republicans need a moderate to win here you can not go more conservative in this district, a conservative will give this to the Democrats.

Goeff Hasen, Hart, He represents Muskegon, Newago, Oceana, and Mason counties. Muskegon is Democratic, Obama won 58% in 2012 but the rest of the area is rural and tourist areas along lake Michigan and is rather Republican this seat would be closer if it wasn't a midterm election. Obama actually won this district in 2012, 65083 to 57160 for Romney. Republicans should win this, even a conservative rural and suburban outvote Muskegon. The new district loses Mason county making it slightly more Democratic.

Howard Walker, Traverse City (northwestern Lower Peninsula and eastern Upper). Will not run for reelection. The Seat is safe Republican even with a conservative who would vote no on Medicaid expansion.

Tom Casperson, Escanaba and the western and central Upper Peninsula. He is the first Republican to represent the western U.P. since World War 2. Democrats need to win this seat back. This will be one of there top targets. Casperson also voted against right to work. He might be able to hold on though. A primary challenge here would cost you the seat.

So running a more conservative candidate could cost 4 seats but only 2 in a primary (Rocca and Casperson) since the other two are open seats (Khan and Richardville) a lost of 4 seats makes the Senate 22-16 Republican.

Also some other districts that the Democrats would win.

Patrick Colbert, Canton. Represents western and southern areas of Wayne county. He was one of the main opponent of the bill. His new district is a little more Republican but he could be in danger. He is too conservative for the district and not a good fit. It will come down to how well he does in this hometown of Canton. The Democrats need the state Rep. from Canton Diane Slavens to run she is there best chance and she is term limited from the House.

John Papageorge Troy. This seat will be open since he is term limited the seat will be more Republican though and might just be out of Democratic reach but very close results. The current seat would go Democratic in 2014. This was a well fought seat in 2006 and the Democrats need it to take back the Senate. The most Democratic cities were removed but it will still be close Obama won this seat I Believe.

I would find the Obama vote in each seat but Daves redistricting will crash my computer since I'm having computer problems. Hopefully this will give some info about the Republicans who voted yes.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:15:45 PM »

Republican Majority leader Randy Richardville is term limited, the 2014 district could be a Democratic pickup it is Monroe and Lenawee counties.

Tory Rocca, Sterling Heights, (Macomb county) His 2014 district becomes more Republican, He could face a primary challenge but that would be a bad idea and would put the district in play for the Democrats. He also voted against Right to work. Tory Rocca served 3 terms in the state house and both of his parents represented Sterling Heights in the state house and along with it becoming a little more Republican, I think he will be ok.

Senator Jim Marleau, Lake Orion (Northern Oakland County). You could see a primary challenge here as he represents the northern suburbs and exurbs of Oakland county, this district also includes Pontiac but it is outvoted by the conservative suburbs around it. The district in 2014 will go a little bit south to pick up  Bloomfield twp both which is quite rich of a area. A primary challenge here would not cause the Republicans to lose the seat as long as the person was not crazy or gaffe prone.

Mike Kowall, White Lake, (Southwestern Oakland county), Also a district where a conservative Republican could win still again not crazy/makes stupid comments. His district got smaller due to him representing the outer suburbs that are growing. He represents West Bloomfield which as a growing black population but the Democrats should not come that close here. I'm surprised to see him vote yes. I thought he might try to primary U.S. congressman Kerry Bentivolio but this will not help you with Republican primary voters. His district is almost completely in Bentivolio's district.

Senator Roger Khan, Saginaw county, is term limited. This should be a pick up opportunity for the Democrats. Obama won Saginaw county with 55% of the vote. the District  also includes Gratiot county to the west which Romney won with 51% but 80% of the people here live in Saginaw county. I believe the Saginaw district has sent Republicans in the past too, also for some reason this guy won in 2006 a big Democratic year. The new district picks up parts of Genesee county the outer areas and suburbs, so it might be a little more Democratic. Democrats have to pick up this district if they want the state Senate. Republicans need a moderate to win here you can not go more conservative in this district, a conservative will give this to the Democrats.

Goeff Hasen, Hart, He represents Muskegon, Newago, Oceana, and Mason counties. Muskegon is Democratic, Obama won 58% in 2012 but the rest of the area is rural and tourist areas along lake Michigan and is rather Republican this seat would be closer if it wasn't a midterm election. Obama actually won this district in 2012, 65083 to 57160 for Romney. Republicans should win this, even a conservative rural and suburban outvote Muskegon. The new district loses Mason county making it slightly more Democratic.

Howard Walker, Traverse City (northwestern Lower Peninsula and eastern Upper). Will not run for reelection. The Seat is safe Republican even with a conservative who would vote no on Medicaid expansion.

Tom Casperson, Escanaba and the western and central Upper Peninsula. He is the first Republican to represent the western U.P. since World War 2. Democrats need to win this seat back. This will be one of there top targets. Casperson also voted against right to work. He might be able to hold on though. A primary challenge here would cost you the seat.

So running a more conservative candidate could cost 4 seats but only 2 in a primary (Rocca and Casperson) since the other two are open seats (Khan and Richardville) a lost of 4 seats makes the Senate 22-16 Republican.

Patrick Colbert, Canton. Represents western and southern areas of Wayne county. He was one of the main opponent of the bill. His new district is a little more Republican but he could be in danger. He is too conservative for the district and not a good fit. It will come down to how well he does in this hometown of Canton. The Democrats need the state Rep. from Canton Diane Slavens to run she is there best chance and she is term limited from the House.

John Papageorge Troy. This seat will be open since he is term limited the seat will be more Republican though and might just be out of Democratic reach but very close results. The current seat would go Democratic in 2014. This was a well fought seat in 2006 and the Democrats need it to take back the Senate. The most Democratic cities were removed but it will still be close Obama won this seat I Believe.

I would find the Obama vote in each seat but Daves redistricting will crash my computer since I'm having computer problems. Hopefully this will give some info about the Republicans who voted yes.

We probably both agree this is a good thing for Michigan, but do we agree that we don't need Obamacare for it to happen?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:49 PM »

Well they'll see candidates.  I just came from a district GOP meeting where I was the SOLE "Nay" vote against a resolution to threaten House members who vote for the Senate bill with primary challenges.

It's not even the Tea Partiers who are planning on challenging these guys... it's now arms of the Republican Party itself (granted, taken over by Tea Partiers).  I'm sorry, but it's not the purpose of a party to keep your politicians in line.  Parties shouldn't play favorites with who gets money or support in primaries.  It's going to lead us down a path of destruction and I will fight it every single step of the way until I get kicked out of the damn party.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 12:24:50 AM »

Well they'll see candidates.  I just came from a district GOP meeting where I was the SOLE "Nay" vote against a resolution to threaten House members who vote for the Senate bill with primary challenges.

It's not even the Tea Partiers who are planning on challenging these guys... it's now arms of the Republican Party itself (granted, taken over by Tea Partiers).  I'm sorry, but it's not the purpose of a party to keep your politicians in line.  Parties shouldn't play favorites with who gets money or support in primaries.  It's going to lead us down a path of destruction and I will fight it every single step of the way until I get kicked out of the damn party.

Well, clearly anyone with an economic score of 9.61 is now a RINO.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »

That would be pretty conservative.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 05:05:26 AM »

Thank you for this information. Really interesting!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »

I don't like the Medicaid bill either, but Obamacare is here to stay... an alternative isn't going to pass, so this isn't a big deal for me.  Either way, we shouldn't be using party resources to challenge our own.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »

Here's the deal with the Medicaid expansion. Because so many more people will have insurance through Medicaid, the healthcare law substantially scales back money the feds give hospitals to reimburse them uncompensated care. The hospitals still have to treat everybody who walks through the door, but if Medicaid isn't expanded, hospitals stand to lose countless millions of dollars. Every state will expand Medicaid. It may take a few years, but nobody can withstand such an enormous hit to the financial wellbeing of local hospitals.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »

Every state will expand Medicaid. It may take a few years, but nobody can withstand such an enormous hit to the financial wellbeing of local hospitals.

The problem is the skilled far right machine in these states will claim that Obamacare destroyed these hospitals not the fact that they... you know... didn't enact Obamacare.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »

Every state will expand Medicaid. It may take a few years, but nobody can withstand such an enormous hit to the financial wellbeing of local hospitals.

The problem is the skilled far right machine in these states will claim that Obamacare destroyed these hospitals not the fact that they... you know... didn't enact Obamacare.
It's not even going to get that far. Hospitals are huge businesses with lots of political clout. Medicaid expansion is coming to all 50 states sooner, not later.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2013, 05:06:42 PM by Senator Sbane »

It's not even going to get that far. Hospitals are huge businesses with lots of political clout. Medicaid expansion is coming to all 50 states sooner, not later.

Medicaid expansion would happen in Tennessee if it wasn't for our tea party, retarded state legislature. Our governor, while you may disagree with him, is pretty rational and understands that it helps the state as a whole. You are correct that eventually every state will go along with the medicaid expansion if the feds promise to pay at least 90% of it. It just makes so much sense, unless you are completely blinded by partisanship/racism.

I mean the CEO of Tennessee Blue Cross/Blue Shield supports it and is lobbying the government to comply..... and it's not due to humanitarian reasons. It makes business sense.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »

Medicaid expansion would happen in Tennessee if it wasn't for our tea party, retarded state legislature. Our governor, while you may disagree with him, is pretty rational and understands that it helps the state as a whole. You are correct that eventually every state will go along with the medicaid expansion if the feds promise to pay at least 90% of it. It just makes so much sense, unless you are completely blinded by partisanship/racism.

I mean the CEO of Tennessee Blue Cross/Blue Shield supports it and is lobbying the government to comply..... and it's not due to humanitarian reasons. It makes business sense.

I hope more states follow what's being done in Michigan. We should expand Medicaid to cover anyone uninsured who makes less than $30,000. Then make a public option for those who make over $30,000 and do not have their insurance provided through their job. This would encourage more companies to cover their employees and encourage insurance companies to lower their costs. Along with this we should allow people to remain on their parents' insurance until age 23, allow people to purchase insurance across state lines, and not allow insurance companies to turn people away with pre-existing conditions. The requirement for people to purchase insurance is a little extreme though. Please see my healthcare ideas under the political debate thread. There I call for subsidization of research for children with cancer, diabetes, and much more fun stuff.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies