Possible Western military response to Syrian chemical weapons use
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:36:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Possible Western military response to Syrian chemical weapons use
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Possible Western military response to Syrian chemical weapons use  (Read 10085 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »

Last time I checked, the Cripps aren't bombing villages with chemical weapons. Not to say gangs in America aren't a problem, but problems in the US are nowhere near other parts of the world.

So why exactly should America fix a problem that we did not create? Why should we solve their problems? America is NOT the policeman of the world, contrary to what the neocons say?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »

We sort of are dude. We have been since at least the 1990s, arguably before that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »

We sort of are dude. We have been since at least the 1990s, arguably before that.
Says who? The neocons and globalists who profit off these conflicts?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2013, 09:02:13 PM »

Obama may hold off on the strike until next week, in deference to Cameron, though this does create the somewhat awkward circumstance of potentially launching the attack when Obama is traveling overseas:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/28/strike-assad-regime-british

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »

How would airstrikes on Syria make combatting gang violence domestially more difficult?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »

How would airstrikes on Syria make combatting gang violence domestially more difficult?
They wouldn't, but if our own problems are being ignored, the others should certainly have to wait.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »

Both Iran and Syria threaten retaliation against Israel if the US attacks Syria:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324463604579040421592941820.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »

I don't see this ending well.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 10:57:24 PM »

Maybe Bushie was right about WW3.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »

Considering how much sympathy I have for Israel and Netanyahu, I don't give a sh!t about Iran and Syria's threats. Of course they're entirely idle anyway, Syria is obviously in no position whatsoever to attack a militarily superior country for obvious reasons, and Iran is not in a good position either (look at a map)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2013, 11:04:17 PM »

Should be noted that while we have that quote from the Iranian general, neither Khamenei nor Rouhani has issued any kind of similar threat against Israel over the Syria situation (yet).  I'd take it with a grain of salt until one of them says something along those lines as well.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2013, 12:19:21 AM »

Obama is boxing himself into a corner. I want to know what his response will be when chemical weapons are used again post-air strikes. 
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2013, 12:22:49 AM »

Disgusting. Obomber is a pretty dead on nickname for this man.

Your support of Assad is what's disgusting.

How do we know for sure they're a threat though. Do we know for a fact there are weapons of mass destruction?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2013, 08:57:51 AM by Benwah [why on Earth do I post something] Courseyay »

Both Iran and Syria threaten retaliation against Israel if the US attacks Syria

Oh yeah, that'd be the best way to have dozens of Israeli planes bombing Syria in less than 24 hours, which is for sure Iran and Syria desire.

We sort of are dude. We have been since at least until the 1990s, arguably before that.

Fixed. Kosovo. Then you became the burglar of the world, sort of, dude, not that you were super clean before, but in the 2000s you didn't even bother being hypocrite anymore...

Hmm, outside of WW2 and 1990s Balkanic wars, I don't really see how the US can pretend of the status of 'policeman of the world'. Having the means to be so doesn't mean that you are, and the method that the 'policeman' used haven't always been super clear to say the least.

For example who is policing one of the most dangerous area in the world, Western Indian Ocean, for years now? A European fleet. Tongue.

Pax Americana? Well, lol.

Contradictive ambiance so far today.

Obama who seems to be far colder that his chanting Defense Secretary on Tuesday.

Hollande who also seems to be less hot than on Tuesday. Though he said that violences have to be stopped after his meeting with the leader of Syrian opposition.

Only Cameron (eww again) seems to be the most ahead here.

If Syrians are abandonned here, again, that's still more shame for us, still more darkness for them, and still more ground for the black flags.

Official informations:

The French frigate Chevalier-Paul is heading toward Syria, it's exactly what had happened before the operation in Lybia, by sending a frigate to defend a large piece of land and a carrier against planes, the French army says it was a planned exercise though.

UK sent 6 planes to Cyprus. They say it's only a precaution.

Listening to Cameron speech right now in the assembly, he really is the one who has the strongest words so far. Kudos to UK if they bring something here.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »

Hmm, outside of WW2 and 1990s Balkanic wars, I don't really see how the US can pretend of the status of 'policeman of the world'. Having the means to be so doesn't mean that you are, and the method that the 'policeman' used haven't always been super clear to say the least.

Korea? Desert Storm? Panama?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »

Considering that the sort of 'military response' being more than considered will certainly not remove the Assad regime and will not stop them engaging in further massacres, could somebody perhaps explain what the point of it will be?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »

Considering that the sort of 'military response' being more than considered will certainly not remove the Assad regime and will not stop them engaging in further massacres, could somebody perhaps explain what the point of it will be?

Saving face, presumably.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »

Well it looks like the UK is out.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »

Last time I checked, the Cripps aren't bombing villages with chemical weapons. Not to say gangs in America aren't a problem, but problems in the US are nowhere near other parts of the world.

So why exactly should America fix a problem that we did not create? Why should we solve their problems? America is NOT the policeman of the world, contrary to what the neocons say?

The world needs a police force. It shouldn't just be the US though.

But, we should intervene, not because we created the problem, but because we are in the best position to solve it. That's called compassion. Libertarians such as yourself wouldn't know what that's about though.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »

Out by a majority of thirteen votes. This will run and run. If you don't usually get reruns of House of Commons debates on USA television, you will today.....
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2013, 05:26:06 PM »

But, we should intervene, not because we created the problem, but because we are in the best position to solve it. That's called compassion. Libertarians such as yourself wouldn't know what that's about though.
Well, if your balls are that big and you have so much compassion why don’t YOU go to Syria and enlist in the FSA? They are taking foreign volunteers.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »

Well, if your balls are that big and you have so much compassion why don’t YOU go to Syria and enlist in the FSA? They are taking foreign volunteers.

I'm afraid lack of military-orientation would ensure I would be a burden on their organization.  Plus you know, I have a family to worry about/provide for. Luckily there are plenty of military-oriented people in the world who are best suited for intervening in this conflict.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »

Yes, UK is out.  Have there been any other US military actions in the past century in which France participated, but the UK didn't?

Also, if Obama was going to wait until next week to order the attack in deference to Cameron, I guess that's no longer a consideration.  So does that mean the attack will begin within the next 24 hours?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »

So, what's the plan exactly to get rid of Assad and make sure the next regime will be stable and democratic?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »

So, what's the plan exactly to get rid of Assad and make sure the next regime will be stable and democratic?

Feel free to answer both questions at once.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies