Labor, Unions, and Compensation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 09:43:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Labor, Unions, and Compensation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labor, Unions, and Compensation  (Read 631 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »

Allow compensatory time off for working overtime.
No employer interference in union organization.
Non-union members shouldn't benefit from union negotiations on wages and benefits.
Allow two years to sue for discriminatory compensation.
Card check is not the answer.
Enforce laws against gender based pay discrimination.
Provide $4.5 billion annually for OSHA.
Require disclosure of outsourced employees, but still eliminate corporate tax.
Encourage businesses to raise wages and create jobs.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »

Allow compensatory time off for working overtime.
No, unless they get paid time off for half of the hours they worked (someone works 50 hours a week without overtime pay one week and works 30 hours a week the next and gets paid for 40) It would be an alternative

No employer interference in union organization.
Yes

Non-union members shouldn't benefit from union negotiations on wages and benefits.
Yes

Allow two years to sue for discriminatory compensation.
Yes

Card check is not the answer.
Only if Taft-Hartley is repealed

Enforce laws against gender based pay discrimination.
Yes
Provide $4.5 billion annually for OSHA.
How much do they receive now?

Require disclosure of outsourced employees, but still eliminate corporate tax.
No

Encourage businesses to raise wages and create jobs.
What does that mean?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »

I still support time and a half for overtime pay and I'm basically saying that 50 hours one week should be 30 the next or allow some time for accumulation and then even out their hours. I wouldn't get rid of time and a half.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »

Allow compensatory time off for working overtime. This sounds great in theory, but I'm not sure what you mean by this in practice.
No employer interference in union organization. Total agreement.
Non-union members shouldn't benefit from union negotiations on wages and benefits. Agreed, but that's not how it'll end up happening in the real world.
Allow two years to sue for discriminatory compensation. Why cap it at all?
Card check is not the answer. Yes, it is, and then some. Repeal Taft-Hartley, Landrum-Griffin, the Hatch Act, all that anti-labor nonsense, and recognize public sector, agricultural, and domestic workers' right to organize at the federal level.
Enforce laws against gender based pay discrimination. Agreed.
Provide $4.5 billion annually for OSHA. How much is that in comparison to what it gets now?
Require disclosure of outsourced employees, but still eliminate corporate tax. Not sure how this is going to work. Discourage outsourcing by double-taxing every product made by an American company in a foreign country as it comes across the border.
Encourage businesses to raise wages and create jobs. "Force" is a better word to use here than "encourage," because 95% businesses will never willingly raise wages.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:21:10 AM »

Allow compensatory time off for working overtime. This sounds great in theory, but I'm not sure what you mean by this in practice.

At one of my summer jobs, it meant you could either take your OT as vacation or cash. At time and a half, it meant that working 5 hours and 20 minutes of OT meant you could take a day off. I always took cash because I was a kid, but most of the older guys took it as vacation to supplement their relatively low vacation time.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »

No employment should be allowed without a union.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »

Where do you find in the constitution that Americans aren't free to work without being part of a union. Now the first amendment does protect one's right to unionize if wished, but doesn't require it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »

Where do you find in the constitution that Americans aren't free to work without being part of a union. Now the first amendment does protect one's right to unionize if wished, but doesn't require it.

Screw the constitution, bbag.  Toils are interstate commerce, the Federal Government can regulating them down to a T.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »

Screw the constitution, bbag.  Toils are interstate commerce, the Federal Government can regulating them down to a T.

I like the constitution. If people want to unionize then let them and if not then they shouldn't be forced to. Government unions are ridiculous because congress makes all their decisions for them.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 06:43:54 AM »

I like the constitution. If people want to unionize then let them and if not then they shouldn't be forced to. Government unions are ridiculous because congress makes all their decisions for them.

This is literally the stupidest thing I've ever read on Atlas, and that's saying something.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »

This is literally the stupidest thing I've ever read on Atlas, and that's saying something.

You're saying that liking the constitution is stupid?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies