Do you remember black and white tvs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:17:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you remember black and white tvs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you remember black and white tvs?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Do you remember black and white tvs?  (Read 2131 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »

When I was young, there was a small black-and-white TV on the counter in my parents' bathroom. It had a retractable antenna and was supposed to be portable in the event that you wanted to take it outside for some reason. I think it was mainly so they could watch the news or whatever while shaving or putting on makeup in the morning, but I don't know how often they actually used it.

It looked kind of like this...
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 06:07:30 AM »

Although Australia was a latecomer to colour TV, only debuting down here in 1975, they were very much gone by 1991, the year I was born. I've seen an old TV or two, but never watched or used one myself.

On a related note, Australians were one of the fastest adopters of colour TV, by 1978, 64% of Melbourne households and 70% of Sydney households had a colour set, and my family had one by '76 or '77.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »

I seem to remember one looking like this, but I remember it as slightly bigger.  I do remember the handy handle, and carrying it to various places around the house.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »

I seem to remember one looking like this, but I remember it as slightly bigger.  I do remember the handy handle, and carrying it to various places around the house.

When we were kids my dad would carry it on the handy handle into our room on Saturday mornings and set it up so we could watch our shows and they could sleep in.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2013, 02:04:26 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Not personally, although my family didn't have a color TV until about 1980. 

On a related note: when I was little, my family had an old RCA (color) TV that sat on the floor.  It had a big wooden box and a door with a dial on the side.  Instead of pushing a button to turn it on, though, you pulled a switch (I can still kind of remember the sound it made when you turned it on and off.)  It was pretty old when I was born, though, and it kicked the bucket years ago.  We kept it for a few years after that, though, but we finally put it out in front of our house to be taken to the junkyard.  (I kind of wish I could have salvaged some of the tubes for keepsakes, since it was probably old enough to run on them.)

Sounds like it was the sort of TV that could have been refurbished into furniture.  I have an old radio cabinet that my paternal grandfather refurbished into a small china cabinet and it's where I keep the portion of my maternal grandmother's china I inherited from my mother. (It was a twelve piece set split three ways among her daughters.  My mother also had two other twelve piece sets, one inherited from a her husband's aunt, and one they got when she wed my father.  Those sets went to other members of the family.  I only wanted four place settings, so it made sense for me to get my grandmother's china rather than split up one of the other two sets.)
My family generally doesn't do stuff like that.  If it stops working, they throw it away.  We'd been setting drinkng glasses and stuff like that on it anyway, though.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 02:58:04 PM »

I had a small wood grain television in my room growing up that was black and white. It was a cheap, portable little thing, but it did the trick for watching the X-Files and wrestling.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »

my parents still had one when i was very young (like around 5 or 6 maybe) that I vaguely remember.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2020, 11:57:48 AM by MATTROSE94 »

I personally don't remember black and white TV, although my family was late in getting one. My grandparents got their first color TV in 1980 and my parents did not get one until March of 1985, at the same time that they got their first VCR, a 1984 model Magnavox purchased from Jc Penny for around $500. Their first color TV was a used 1984 model 25 inch Quasar with dial tuning that they purchased from a local TV repair shop for about $250. It worked well for almost 11 years until 1995, when the picture tube finally blew out on it. The Quasar color TV they had actually had an excellent picture quality, probably the best of any CRT color TV ever produced.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »

Remote monitors at work sites are still sometimes B&W.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »

My grandmother had an old black and white TV in her room when I was young.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 04:54:01 AM »

Do you remember, your President Nixon
Do you remember, the bills you have to pay
Or even yesterday?
JoeyJoeJoe
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.57

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »

Young Americans remember all of those things.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »

I do. When I was a kid, they were already on their way out, but it was common to have one as a secondary set in a bedroom. Even a small 13" color set would set you back a few hundred dollars. A tidy sum in the 1980s. I also remember that Qbert was impossible on the b&w!

Yeah, when I was a kid we had one just like that which you described in my folks bedroom.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »

Yeah our nana had one in her bedroom, which she never seemed to use.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 04:55:25 AM »

I remember camping when I was younger with a small black and white TV (my parents had colour TV with them), but that was it. I've never lived in a house with one, nor can I recall ever being in any house with one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies