Do you remember black and white tvs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:20:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you remember black and white tvs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you remember black and white tvs?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Do you remember black and white tvs?  (Read 2132 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2013, 09:28:35 PM »

I do. When I was a kid, they were already on their way out, but it was common to have one as a secondary set in a bedroom. Even a small 13" color set would set you back a few hundred dollars. A tidy sum in the 1980s. I also remember that Qbert was impossible on the b&w!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »

Yes. When I was a kid I went to a party and there was a guy dressed up as Barney. I was confused because I thought he was supposed to be gray!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »

No, but I do remember record players and rotary phones.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 10:35:45 PM »

Of course.  Also, black and white computers.  (Or green and off-green.  Whatever pea soup-like colors they used to have on those old Apple IIs.)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:36:57 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen a black and white TV in my entire life.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:42:22 PM »

At one point when I was a kid, I think my family had one color TV and ~two or three black & white TVs.  Those black & white TVs were so cheap, might as well have about one TV per family member, for those times when everyone wants to watch something different.  Wink
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:55:38 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2013, 11:44:25 PM by Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon »

Yes, had a B&W TV in my bedroom until replaced by a color one when I was 9.  I also had a portable one in my early teens.

I wonder when there will be a post on the Atlas with the subject "Do you remember analog or non-HDTV?"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 01:22:04 AM »

Of course.  My mom had a TV in the kitchen that was B&W that I was using up until the early 90s.  My parents had one in their bedroom that I watched much less frequently.  Our main TV was always color while I was alive though.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:54:56 AM »

Yes. My grandmother had one in her craft room that was small. I remember watching it as recently as the Santos-Vinick "Live" West Wing debate, which was in 2006.

My other grandmother also had a rotary phone. I used it once or twice as a kid, probably atleast 15 years ago. I used a payphone as recently as 2009 at an Airport when my cell phone had no reception.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:35:12 AM »

Of course.  A number of my friends had them, and both my best friend and I, once we became teenagers, got to have old family black-and-white sets in our rooms, both to watch and play Atari on.  Yeah, that's right, there's nothing like Atari on black-and-white televisions...  Sad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »

Of course.  We didn't get a color one until I was a teenager.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 09:06:09 AM »

Of course.  A number of my friends had them, and both my best friend and I, once we became teenagers, got to have old family black-and-white sets in our rooms, both to watch and play Atari on.  Yeah, that's right, there's nothing like Atari on black-and-white televisions...  Sad
The first generation of them (the one we had) had a color/BW switch on the back....I'm not sure if the second generations did (the with ones without the big a/b switches on the front instead of halfway hidden on the back like most Atari's I ran into).  I don't think the B/W switch worked on very many games other than some of the "base" games (Combat,Missile Command,Adventure,etc) made by Atari themselves.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »

Nah.  I was plopped onto this planet in 1987.  Everyone pretty much had color TV by then. 
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »

Yes, although very, very vaguely. My grandfather had one, and this was probably around 1996 or so.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »

Nah.  I was plopped onto this planet in 1987.  Everyone pretty much had color TV by then. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »

I remember when my parents got their first color TV, and watched that NBC bird.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »

My grandmother had a black and white TV into the mid 1990s.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »

I voted no.  While of course I remember seeing them in the stores, I never watched TV on them. Dad did not think we needed a TV in every room, so we had one fairly large TV in the family room and that was it until I got one when I was in high school to be the monitor for my TRS-80 Color Computer (which had a full 32K of RAM) so it of course was a color TV as well.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »

Of course.  I don't ever remember not having at least two color TVs in the house, but we always also had a couple black and white ones around - I seem to remember there being one in the semi-finished 'walk-out' basement (we had a pretty cool room down there with a big fireplace, hand-me-down furniture, and a collection of guns on the walls), and one in the kitchen/breakfast room, which was normal in those days.  Come to think of it, at that time we had two rather picturesque and large 1930s radios in that basement.. didn't work alas. 

I do miss those enormous old console TVs, regardless of whether color or b/w.  Lastly I don't recall TVs ever being 'expensive'..
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »

No, my parents got a color TV a few months before I was born (in 1995).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »

yes.  i remember having a b&w tv in my room as a kid.

i also remember a family member having a tube type tv.  it had to 'warm up' before it came on.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »

yes.  i remember having a b&w tv in my room as a kid.

i also remember a family member having a tube type tv.  it had to 'warm up' before it came on.

All tube TVs need to warm up, it just is that later models were made to stay warmed up even when they were "off" which made them more convenient but also more of an energy hog.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »

Not personally, although my family didn't have a color TV until about 1980. 

On a related note: when I was little, my family had an old RCA (color) TV that sat on the floor.  It had a big wooden box and a door with a dial on the side.  Instead of pushing a button to turn it on, though, you pulled a switch (I can still kind of remember the sound it made when you turned it on and off.)  It was pretty old when I was born, though, and it kicked the bucket years ago.  We kept it for a few years after that, though, but we finally put it out in front of our house to be taken to the junkyard.  (I kind of wish I could have salvaged some of the tubes for keepsakes, since it was probably old enough to run on them.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 09:34:18 PM »

Not personally, although my family didn't have a color TV until about 1980. 

On a related note: when I was little, my family had an old RCA (color) TV that sat on the floor.  It had a big wooden box and a door with a dial on the side.  Instead of pushing a button to turn it on, though, you pulled a switch (I can still kind of remember the sound it made when you turned it on and off.)  It was pretty old when I was born, though, and it kicked the bucket years ago.  We kept it for a few years after that, though, but we finally put it out in front of our house to be taken to the junkyard.  (I kind of wish I could have salvaged some of the tubes for keepsakes, since it was probably old enough to run on them.)

Sounds like it was the sort of TV that could have been refurbished into furniture.  I have an old radio cabinet that my paternal grandfather refurbished into a small china cabinet and it's where I keep the portion of my maternal grandmother's china I inherited from my mother. (It was a twelve piece set split three ways among her daughters.  My mother also had two other twelve piece sets, one inherited from a her husband's aunt, and one they got when she wed my father.  Those sets went to other members of the family.  I only wanted four place settings, so it made sense for me to get my grandmother's china rather than split up one of the other two sets.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »

Yep. My family had at least one until I was in about third grade or so.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies