Work history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:45:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Work history
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Work history  (Read 723 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2013, 02:50:45 AM »

My work history is decidedly blue collar, manual labour jobs. This was somewhat by choice, but also by necessity. On several occasions I've taken awful jobs that were only available because most people wouldn't do them.

1. Freight company labourer ($11/hour, night shift). My first job, and I juggled it while taking college courses during the day. It was outdoors, loading semi trailers and cargo planes with freight in the dead of Ohio's winter at night. I lasted there six months before basically just not showing up anymore because I was a naive idiot who thought that sort of crap would fly in the workplace.

2. Steel plant labourer ($9/hour, afternoon shift). I remember going into the temp agency and being interviewed as a part of a group. They said they had a job opening at a steel treatment place where steel gets put through furnaces to make it stronger, and it was about 140 degrees inside constantly. I was the only person who put my hand up. This place gave me my work ethic, and it also made me drop about 50 pounds. I lasted six months before being fired because I didn't come in to work ONCE (and I had called to let them know beforehand). They were going to hire me in, as well, to the tune of a whopping $12/hour.

3. Cookware factory labourer ($9/hour, afternoon shift). This was one of my favourite workplaces, I was there for two years while I saved up money to go to Australia. You had to be fast and organized to meet the quotas. I don't know why this sort of factory work is so frowned upon by Americans these days, it keeps you fit and the thoughtlessness of your tasks can actually be mentally therapeutic. They also wanted to hire me in for about $12/hour, but I declined as I was leaving for Australia.

4. Catering company dishwasher ($22/hour, mornings). First job I had in Australia (look at the wage difference!). It was for a Jewish caterer. I did it for two entire days before being more or less fired for breaking a giant glass platter shaped like a fish that had been in the family for decades, oh the horror! It stank, the conditions were dirty, the boss was an asshole. Worst job I've had.

5. Demolition/excavation labourer ($22-$35/hour, various shifts). There is a subtle art that no one appreciates to disassembling and breaking entire rooms and structures. I more or less was there to shovel crap out of the way and dump things into bins, though I did get to do some jackhammering and play with large machinery. Over the Christmas/New Years period we did some work where I got my highest hourly wage, $35/hour, just to push wheelbarrows full of concrete mix. The other fun part was visiting places we'd demolished to see what they'd turned into. Gives you a little bit of satisfaction. I did this off and on for a few months when work was available.

6. Abbatoir picking/packing ($16-$19/hour, mornings). Get up at 4 in the morning, drive to the factory, and stare at hunks of flesh and body parts chug along conveyors for ten hours a day in nearly freezing conditions. Use metal instruments to rip the spinal cords out of meat. Accidentally pop cysts and spray pus on your face. Come home everyday smelling like a butcher. Yeah, this place screwed with my head for a while before I got used to it. After a while you don't care anymore, and when this massive eastern European screams "NECK" and tosses a disgusting wad of flesh and bone at you, you don't think twice. I worked here for six months before being unceremoniously left out of work because of the high Australian dollar, low American dollar, and low demand overseas.

7. Dairy industry machine operator ($17-$22/hour, mornings). My current job, running machinery for a multinational dairy product producer. I have been there for nigh on four years. The work is relatively easy, the people are diverse and interesting, and I've been promoted enough that my collar is turning a lighter shade of blue for the first time in my life. The only real downside is the annoying amount of overtime expected of me. Overall, though, a place tolerable enough to spend many more years if I so choose.

So now you know an uncomfortable amount about my work history. Congratulations, you are now free to belittle me for my history of low-skill entry level manual labour positions and what that says about my class! Well, at least I never worked in fast food..

Anyone else willing to share?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:35:35 AM »

Nice to see pay in Australia is so reasonable. Makes me want to move Down Under as well.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:22:52 AM »

1.bagger of groceries...whatever minimum wage was in 1989.
2.Subway sandwich artist...started at whatever minimum wage was in 1993...ended with a buck or so more an hour.
3.hanger of sheetrock (1994)...started at 8/hr, ended at 9.25/hr
4.USAF 1994 - 1999...it's hard to determine an hourly wage...or even salary...the benefits confuse things.
5.Secure Voice maintenance 1999-present...started at 18.05/hr...now, quite a bit more...but still, never enough.

I haven't NOT had a job since Feb 1993 and have been employed full time since Jun '94.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 06:48:52 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2013, 06:52:25 AM by anvi »

I don't remember what I was paid for all of these, but anyway... This doesn't capture it all, but the main jobs are there.  The last three items are ongoing still.

--newspaper delivery boy (3 months)
--worked the till and lane equipment at a bowling alley (2 yrs)
--wrote statistics-keeping computer programs for high school sports teams (volunteer, 2 yrs)
--loaded trucks during summer (2 summers)
--volunteer work with mentally and visually disabled (3 yrs)
--taught summer camp on computer programing for 3-8th graders (1 summer)
--tutored various college subjects on work-study (2 yrs)
--graduate student teaching assistant (4 yrs)
--language tutor for German reading competence (3 yrs)
--full-time college and university teaching and administrative work (13 yrs)
--board and vice-presidency of international research society (volunteer--4 yrs)
--chief editor, university book series (2 yrs)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »

Except for a brief summer job working at a record store, and working in the law school as a mail boy for some extra money for pot and fun to avoid having to ask my Dad for it, I have been a paper pusher all my life.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »

Busboy at a diner
General help at a farm market
Delivery driver for pizza place #1
Delivery driver for pizza place #2
"Sales Associate" at American Eagle
Delivery driver for pizza place #3
Host at Bahama Breeze (awful)
Valet at parking company #1
Intern for Sen. Frank Lautenberg
Rutgers Peer Mentor Program
Valet for parking company #2
Building Manager for Rutgers-Camden
Valet for parking company #3
Valet for hotel in Philadelphia
Admissions assistance at Rutgers-Law Admissions
Canvasser/Field Manager at PennPIRG
Soldier/Machinist Engineer with United States Navy (current)

Full-time student overlaps all of this save for my time at Valet company no. 3

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:42:55 AM »

Intern on the Adam Hasner congressional campaign.
Intern on the Cary Glickstein mayoral campaign.
Cashier at Miami Subs.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »

Busboy at a diner

was lautenberg a complete ass?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »

Busboy at a diner

was lautenberg a complete ass?

Didn't meet him.  I worked at the South Jersey office, dealing with SSA and VA issues, mostly.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »

The only jobs I have ever had centered around golf and the legal world. I worked for 2 summers at a golf course on Kiawah and 3 summers as a summer intern at various law firms.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 01:22:27 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2013, 03:01:07 PM by Emperor SJoyce »

Intern on the Dwight Dudley State House campaign: $0/hr
Intern on the Rick Kriseman mayoral campaign (current): $0/hr
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »

Historically
1) Basketball scorekeeper: $8/hr
2) Tour guide @ historical site: $9.50/hr
3) Painter $12.35 then $13.25/hr*

Currently
4) Teaching Assistant: $15/hr
5) Basketball Referee: $18-$22/hr depending on the age group

Just Interviewed For
6) Financial Advisor Trainee: $15/hr + commission

* I was unionized and still got paid less than my non-unionized competitor's employees. Useless ass CUPE.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »

If any of you, or any one reading this has any intention of even remotely --even if its only a sparkle in the back of your mind --of running for office one day whether school board or President of the United States, don't post your job history here...
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »

If any of you, or any one reading this has any intention of even remotely --even if its only a sparkle in the back of your mind --of running for office one day whether school board or President of the United States, don't post your job history here...

"Did you hear? That yank running for Congress once had a job delivering the newspaper and admitted it freely on the internet! What an untrustworthy dick!"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 04:56:58 AM »

why?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:11 AM »

Assistant to a parts manager at a golf cart repair place, $8.00/hr (June - August 2008)
McDonald's, $7.50-$8.85/hr (June 2009 - August 2013)
College newspaper editor, $7.25/hr (April 2012 - present)
Freelance writer for my local newspaper, $25/story (June 2013)
Student teacher, $0.00/hr (August 2013 - present)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »

I'd never run for any political office.  But if I did, I don't think my work history above would be any particular problem.  My personal history, on the other hand... Tongue
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »

guidance dept. tutor in high school -- minimum wage

camp counselor for a sh**tty town camp -- sub-minimum wage, allowed because we were supposed to get tips, but I did nothing to ingratiate myself to the parents, so I didn't get many tips.

dining hall at college -- between $8 and $8.80/hr

'research fellow' summer of 2011 - $10/hr

current job as canvasser/organizer/etc. at nonprofit -- $12.50/hr
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 06:57:06 AM »

- poll worker ($35/hour, 2008-present)
- student tutor ($30/hour, 2009-2011)
- language teacher ($65/hour, 2011-present)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 11:48:30 PM »

4. Catering company dishwasher ($22/hour, mornings). First job I had in Australia (look at the wage difference!). It was for a Jewish caterer. I did it for two entire days before being more or less fired for breaking a giant glass platter shaped like a fish that had been in the family for decades, oh the horror! It stank, the conditions were dirty, the boss was an asshole. Worst job I've had.

(1) What does the fact that the caterer was Jewish have to do with anything? Do you mean they mainly cooked kosher/Jewish dishes and/or primarily worked things like bar mitzvahs and Jewish weddings? Or do you just feel compelled to specify the caterer was Jewish?

(2) If said Jewish caterer is stupid/careless enough to use family heirloom dishware in his business, he got what was coming to him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies