Does Political Correctness increase racism in America?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:10:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does Political Correctness increase racism in America?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Does Political Correctness increase racism in America?  (Read 3187 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »

I feel like the more we continue to label and divide people into these 'groups', the more issues we are going to have with race.

Identifying someone based on their race, gender, etc only serves to heighten the divides between people. Furthermore, it attempts to favor groups in the workplace or in the university simply because of their superficial characteristics, which ultimately means someone else is losing the zero sum game.

Political correctness IMO is just another one of these nasty collectivist ideas that, like racism attempts to divide and harm relations between people in the US. We are all Americans and should all be judged based on our actions, not external things we have no control over. We should strive towards a society with no laws restricting the freedoms of any group, we are getting very close to this, so therefor, opportunity will be available to all. 

Discuss
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:38:43 AM »

Roll Eyes
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »

"political correctness"
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »

No. Ignoring race/gender/sexual orientation isn't going to make discrimination go away. That's not how it has ever worked.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »

We should strive towards a society with no laws restricting the freedoms of any group, we are getting very close to this, so therefor, opportunity will be available to all. 

Discuss

What utter rot.  But I suppose that's what right wingers believe. 

But here's the fact, CTrat.:

There's no freedom in America.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »

Um...no. To every single post so far.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »

No. Quit trolling.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »

Mods pls rename thread to: "Straight white male: 'Why do people make such a big deal about race???'" thx
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »

Mods pls rename thread to: "Straight white male: 'Why do people make such a big deal about race???'" thx

Yup.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »

I feel like the more we continue to label and divide people into these 'groups', the more issues we are going to have with race.

Identifying someone based on their race, gender, etc only serves to heighten the divides between people. Furthermore, it attempts to favor groups in the workplace or in the university simply because of their superficial characteristics, which ultimately means someone else is losing the zero sum game.

Political correctness IMO is just another one of these nasty collectivist ideas that, like racism attempts to divide and harm relations between people in the US. We are all Americans and should all be judged based on our actions, not external things we have no control over. We should strive towards a society with no laws restricting the freedoms of any group, we are getting very close to this, so therefor, opportunity will be available to all. 

Discuss

I pretty much agree here. I don't think it necessarily increases "racism" (we are becoming a less racist nation by the day) but I do think it makes more of a polarized and divided nation which never does us any good.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »

I don't know that it increases racism. It does increase stupidity by not allowing humans to use judgment.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »

And, would you mind to explain, what IS (according to you) political "correctness"? Because I have a hard time understanding what you mean by it.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »

And, would you mind to explain, what IS (according to you) political "correctness"? Because I have a hard time understanding what you mean by it.

Political correctness is regulated speech which doesn't offend Democrats.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:55 PM »

Let's begin with the obvious -- it is grossly impolite to use derogatory words about people based upon gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation. If you are to call someone a bitch, then make sure that she barks and either has (or has had) the potential to give birth to puppies. Use some of those words in my classroom and you might have some explaining to do to the principal because I will refer you. Those are fighting words as nasty as F--- you (which as I understand it usually means "Get raped!", although I once heard a pair of gays at college using them so gently that I had no objection to them in that context).   

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That some people still act out of bigotry indicates that we need concern ourselves with basic politeness. I have experienced some nasty anti-gay and anti-Jewish bigotry, and I am neither gay nor Jewish. The Golden Rule still applies, so if you would not be saddled with deprecatory descriptions, then do not saddle others with them.

Oh, yes -- there is much ambiguity about some of these identifications. Is someone with an Irish father and a Mexican-American mother "Hispanic"? I would have never figured that Mariah Carey is black until I was told so and shown a picture of her father. Soledad O'Brien? Much the same.

It is best that we heed the advice of the great Dr. Martin Luther King and judge people by their character instead of by their color. But judgment on the basis of character can be harsh even if well deserved. Use bigoted language and your suspect character is exposed. 
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 11:00:09 PM »

There's a lot of youth nowadays that for whatever reason seem to believe language shouldn't mean as much as it does, especially since the connotations and meanings of words change so much over the years. For that reason, they often find an excuse to use said bigoted terms. But in the end, that's just what it is -- an excuse.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 11:07:47 PM »

I think political correctness is a distraction from focusing on institutional bigotry and social segregation.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »

Can you take your hateful views somewhere else please, we all know you're racist, no need to provide us with more evidence.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:28 PM »

Can you take your hateful views somewhere else please, we all know you're racist, no need to provide us with more evidence.

Nothing about what I posted there is racist. Stop projecting.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 05:40:12 AM »

I think political correctness is a distraction from focusing on institutional bigotry and social segregation.
ding ding ding...we have a winner.  The recreational outrage over things (like the rodeo clown) makes a certain type of person feel like they're "helping"...or something.  I'm not sure what they get out of it actually.  It's probably something in their subconscious though. 

"I can't be racist...see how offended I'm acting over this!?  I sure feel better about myself now.  Look at all those racists trying to say this isn't a big deal.  Racism is clearly still alive and well and out in the open in this country!"
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »

^^^
perdedor

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »

Being racially sensitive promotes racism. Got it. Roll Eyes

Where do libertarians learn this nonsense?

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 06:47:24 PM »

Political incorrectness (not racist): How do you remove one thousand flies in one motion? Slap an Ethopian in the face.

Factual incorrectness (racist): Everyone on welfare is a black whore with 5 kids who sits on a porch and does nothing all day while I work.

Political incorrectness (not racist): How many black people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? The lights are out, how can you count them?

Factual incorrectness (racist): Black men who don't wear Bill Cosby sweaters and sing like The Temptations are potential criminals and not "good blacks."

Political incorrectness (not racist): Why did the Mexican student bring his friend to class?  Because he had to turn in his essay.

Factual incorrectness (racist): For every 1 useful immigrant, 100 thugs cross the border.

Political incorrectness (not racist): Did you hear about the Mexican who threw his wife over a cliff? When the police officer asked him why he’d done it he said, “Tequila! Tequila!”

Factual incorrectness (racist): A majority of people don't want immigration reform.  Only ethnic groups do.

Very important distinction.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 09:48:28 PM »

We should stay away from words like any and all when making statements about other cultures, but stereotypes are made for reasons.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »

We should stay away from words like any and all when making statements about other cultures, but stereotypes are made for reasons.

Those reasons: confirmation bias, bigotry.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 12:51:49 AM »

Yes, because it makes it easier for the traditional right to operate(and allows them to get a few of their own victories, like video games and nudity). If the traditional right was unrestrained it would  have alienated many of its own supporters with the brashness, like BNP in UK.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies