What US states (and counties) have you been to? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:38:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What US states (and counties) have you been to? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What US states (and counties) have you been to?  (Read 52028 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »

My state map is rather boring since I've been in all but three states and that adds up to 524 EV. However, here's my county map. Red counties have been my places of residence, blue are places I've stayed the night, cyan includes visited destinations, green are places in passing including meal and gas stops, and yellow is airport only.

My states of residence total 149 EVs.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »

My state map is rather boring since I've been in all but three states and that adds up to 524 EV. However, here's my county map. Red counties have been my places of residence, blue are places I've stayed the night, cyan includes visited destinations, green are places in passing including meal and gas stops, and yellow is airport only.

My states of residence total 149 EVs.

Wow, that map must have taken a lot of time. And I'm impressed with your memory. You really remember every county that you drove through, and counties in which you spent the night? And you certainly have scoured Iowa pretty thoroughly. Do corn fields particularly fascinate you? And what did you visit in Madison County, Iowa? The covered bridges and John Wayne's birthplace? If so, you saw my great parents' historic home next to the birthplace to the west on John Wayne Drive, and drove by the farm, if you drove south from Winterest on Clark Tower Road (the farm is off to the west as soon as you start going down the hill to the Middle River, and you go right through the middle of the Cunningham field right after you cross the bridge over the Middle River going south, with the balance of the farm to the west right after you cross the bridge over the Middle River, with the Middle River its southern boundary (the Middle River bends south after you cross the bridge, before turning east-west again as you move to the west).

Does training count? I've taken the train from LA to Chicago as a little kid. Anyway, I've been to every state now except ND and Alaska. I finally got around to going to Maine last year (which I loved).

I would count the train as equal to a car or bus. If you are in a vehicle on the ground - you're there. I've been maintaining my map for years, so initially I had to remember the highways I traveled on and all the parades and overnights I did as a teen in a drum and bugle corps. That counts for a lot of WI. My father was born in Cedar Rapids and I had/have family scattered in eastern IA, plus I lived as a boy in Des Moines for a couple of years and recall many of the visits in the area.

We couldn't afford to fly when I was young so road trips were common to visit relatives. The interstates weren't all connected in the 60's, so I got used to long drives on two-lane Midwestern highways. I still enjoy those drives, and I look for byways when time permits. Just this week as I drove from Worcester, MA to Springfield, IL I chose to take US 22 west from Pittsburgh to Cambridge rather than my expected route of I 70. It was a scenic diversion, it introduced me to the charming courthouse square in Cambridge, OH, and it added a couple of counties to my map as well. Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:27:31 PM »

448.  You people and your insularity are embarrassing Wink

The vacancy in WV is surprising. Have you not made the road trip between your homeland in MN and the greater DC area? It's hard not to spend at least a passing visit in or through WV in that case.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »

I keep track of my US travel at the county level. Red for residences. Dark blue for overnight stay. Light blue for intentional destinations. Green for drive through (including meal stops). Yellow for airport only.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:46:26 AM »

I keep track of my US travel at the county level. Red for residences. Dark blue for overnight stay. Light blue for intentional destinations. Green for drive through (including meal stops). Yellow for airport only.

Cool map. Any hope to go to OR, HI or AK?

That is my hope. OR was in my travel plans for summer earlier this year, but now it looks like I'll travel to FL instead.

Where at in Washington County, PA did you stay overnight?

IIRC it was at the Hampton Inn in Washington on a drive home from the East Coast.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »

The red states. I don't consider spending an hour in an airport terminal to be a "visit" or else New Jersey and North Carolina would be shaded too.

But airports should count in a similar way that driving through does, particularly driving through a state but not stopping as many do on I-70 through Wheeling WV, or I-95 through Wilmington DE.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2015, 10:02:38 PM by muon2 »

I'm more of a county tracker.

Red: residence; blue: overnight stay; cyan: destination stop; green: drive through (incl. gas and meal stops).

Updated for Aug, 2015
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 05:05:16 AM »

My detailed county map was earlier in the thread.

Here's my version by frequency of visit using Nutmeg's key.

90% (resided): IL, IA, MA, MN, NE, NY, TX
80% (6 or more visits): CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, ME, MD, MI, MO, NH, NJ, OH, PA, RI, TN, VA, WI, WV
70% (5 visits): NC, SD
60% (4 visits): CA, AL, OK, WY
50% (3 visits): AZ, ID, MS, MT, ND, UT, VT, WA
40% (2 visits): AR, NV, NM, SC
30% (1 visit): LA, OR
not yet visited: AK, HI
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »

All, except for Burgenland (I mean, what exactly are you supposed to do in Burgenland ?):

It's funny, because I've been to Burgenland. I mean, I've passed through it.

I watched the 1999 solar eclipse in Burgenland. We were at the border crossing on our way to Szombathely Hungary. The eclipse was so far along (90%) that the guards wanted to watch so no one could pass. I got out my camera and telephoto lens (400 mm) and took pictures from the border.

I've been in or through all the Austrian states except Carinthia.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »

Green: States I've been to
Gray: States I haven't been to

Just passing through a state doesn't count of course

Why not? It does on others' maps, mostly with a paler shade.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 05:27:36 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2016, 06:51:36 AM by muon2 »

Red for residences. Dark blue for overnight stay. Light blue for intentional destinations. Green for drive through (including meal stops).

Edit: I noticed I just reached 1500 counties/equivalents this year.

Here's the state level view.

80% (6 or more visits): CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, ME, MD, MI, MO, NH, NJ, OH, PA, RI, TN, VA, WI, WV
60% (4 visits): CA, AL, OK, WY
50% (3 visits): AZ, ID, MS, MT, ND, UT, VT, WA
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »

I need to get out more, a lot of you guys have me beat. Admittedly, though, more of my recent traveling has been international. Feel free to post international maps as well.

Green = Live/lived here
Blue = Been more than once
Red = Been once

Wouldn't be surprised if many of you have me beat on this front too, though.

The link to your map is broken.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »

Red States: Lived in

Blue States: Visited/Overnighted

Green States: Driven Through

I have also vacationed in Canada, England, Wales, Scotland and The Republic Of Ireland.

The driven through pattern is fascinating. It looks like a long haul without an overnight. Was it part of a straight drive (overnight?) across the country?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 09:17:21 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2016, 09:19:49 PM by muon2 »

I had a nice trip out west and have updated both my maps.

Red for residences. Dark blue for overnight stay. Light blue for intentional destinations. Green for drive through (including meal stops).

60% (4 visits): CA, AL, OK, UT, WY
50% (3 visits): AZ, ID, MS, MT, ND, VT, WA
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »

Heh...I just realized that I forgot Illinois.  I was in Chicago a few summers ago to hang out with my brother, who was there to act in a play.  Ate at a fantastic pizza place, and at least got to see Wrigley Field before the major renovations (game was rained out...oh well).  Smiley

You take that back right now! *triggered*

Welcome to the University of Chicago. No safe spaces, no trigger warnings. Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »

My trip out east changes my state map for VT, and brings my county total to 1556.

60% (4 visits): CA, AL, OK, UT, VT, WY
50% (3 visits): AZ, ID, MS, MT, ND, WA
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 11:33:09 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2017, 10:48:25 PM by muon2 »

After a week out west my state map has changed, my counties are up to 1603.

70% (5 visits): CA, NC, SD, UT
60% (4 visits): AL, AZ, OK, VT, WY
50% (3 visits): ID, MS, MT, ND, NV, WA
40% (2 visits): AR, NM, SC
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »

A conference in SC updates my state map and increases my counties to 1611.

50% (3 visits): ID, MS, MT, ND, NV, SC, WA
40% (2 visits): AR, NM
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »

I finally got an account at mob-rule so you can see the muon2 map there. Entering the data forced me to check my spreadsheets. In doing so, I found that only one of my SD counties were showing up in my grand total, so rather than having 1613 counties I actually have 1628.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »

The eastern road trip bumps NC up to the 6+ category and increases my counties to 1684.

50% (3 visits): ID, MS, MT, ND, NV, SC, WA
40% (2 visits): AR, NM
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »

You gotta get out of the Lower 48. Tongue

Have you been to Guam or Puerto Rico? I highly recommend both!

If PR becomes a state I'll have the perfect excuse to go. Wink
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »

The western road trip bumps up a number of states increases my counties to 1762.

80% (6 or more visits): CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, ME, MD, MI, MO, NH, NJ, NC, OH, PA, RI, SD, TN, UT, VA, WI, WV
70% (5 visits): CA, WY
60% (4 visits): AL, AZ, ID, MT, ND, OK, VT, WA
50% (3 visits): MS, NV, SC
40% (2 visits): AR, NM, OR
30% (1 visit): LA
[/quote]
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 10:58:30 PM »

Two holiday trips and a conference trip increase my counties to 1830 at the end of 2017.

80% (6 or more visits): CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, ME, MD, MI, MO, NH, NJ, NC, OH, PA, RI, SD, TN, UT, VA, WI, WV
70% (5 visits): VT, WY
60% (4 visits): AL, AZ, ID, MT, ND, OK, WA
50% (3 visits): MS, NV, SC
40% (2 visits): AR, NM, OR
30% (1 visit): LA
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 12:12:53 AM »

To follow up on my previous post, here's a map of just the counties I've been to in 2017. I visited 536 counties this year and 210 were visited for the first time.

Red and magenta are counties first visited in 2017. Blue and green are counties visited in a prior year as well as 2017. Red and blue counties were slept in overnight during 2017. Yellow is a county where I changed planes but never left the airport.

My goals in 2018 are to get to more southern counties and visit HI.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2017, 08:45:32 AM by muon2 »

My goals in 2018 are to get to more southern counties and visit HI.

Oh, do you hate Alaska? Tongue

Not at all, but AK needs a dedicated trip. There's too much else I have on my plate in 2018, so it will have to wait. I'm thinking that eventually a trip to AK will involve taking the Alaska Highway there and returning by way of the ferry to Bellingham, followed by a return drive home. All told that's probably 3-4 weeks.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies