What US states (and counties) have you been to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:07:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What US states (and counties) have you been to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21
Author Topic: What US states (and counties) have you been to?  (Read 53469 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 09:27:30 AM »

I've only lived in AR and MO but have been to TN over 20 times.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »

I may have been to Indiana a few more times, but I can't remember for sure.  Missouri and Tennessee were simply airport layovers (St. Louis and Nashville) on the way to Texas.  I know it's pitiful, but my family rarely has the time or money to go very many places.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:13 PM »

90%: Home State
70%: Born
40%: Went through, ate and slept
30%: Don't remember, but went through, (probably sleeping)

Other than remembering a mountain on the side of I-10, I remember Arizona because I think it was the place I choked on a really big hard candy that somehow made it into my throat, so we had to do some swift maneuvering to get it out... that's probably why I favor chocolate over hard candy... anyways, the reason I remember Louisiana is because when we were on the same visit as when I choked, my brother and sister were chanting: "Texas, Texas, Texas!" on I-10 right before we entered Texas because of some reason... Sorry Louisiana... that's my only memory of you... I don't really know about Michigan and Ohio because I slept through it on the way back from my family's trip up to NYC... On that same trip was the first time I went to Virginia, but even if I didn't go on that trip, I would still have gone to there because of a small visit to Alexandria that my mom and I did a few years ago when we visited DC... Connecticut I don't remember, but apparently I went there on my trip to NYC...
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »

N/A.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 11:14:28 PM »

I added a couple categories.  50% blue means that I just passed through the state, but didn't do anything.  30% blue means that I literally just border-hopped and did nothing.  I almost shouldn't even count the state, but I do.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2013, 11:52:49 AM by Torie »

My state map is rather boring since I've been in all but three states and that adds up to 524 EV. However, here's my county map. Red counties have been my places of residence, blue are places I've stayed the night, cyan includes visited destinations, green are places in passing including meal and gas stops, and yellow is airport only.

My states of residence total 149 EVs.

Wow, that map must have taken a lot of time. And I'm impressed with your memory. You really remember every county that you drove through, and counties in which you spent the night? And you certainly have scoured Iowa pretty thoroughly. Do corn fields particularly fascinate you? And what did you visit in Madison County, Iowa? The covered bridges and John Wayne's birthplace? If so, you saw my great parents' historic home next to the birthplace to the west on John Wayne Drive, and drove by the farm, if you drove south from Winterest on Clark Tower Road (the farm is off to the west as soon as you start going down the hill to the Middle River, and you go right through the middle of the Cunningham field right after you cross the bridge over the Middle River going south, with the balance of the farm to the west right after you cross the bridge over the Middle River, with the Middle River its southern boundary (the Middle River bends south after you cross the bridge, before turning east-west again as you move to the west).

Does training count? I've taken the train from LA to Chicago as a little kid. Anyway, I've been to every state now except ND and Alaska. I finally got around to going to Maine last year (which I loved).
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »

I visited in December 2008.

29ev. Obviously.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »

90% = I lived there
70% = 6+ visits
50% = 1 visit (Been there for more than 16 hours)
30% = Only crossed through

137 Travel Points

You could say I'm more of an east-coast type of guy.

My favorite part of the East Coast so far is the Appalachians in Northern Georgia, Western North Carolina, and Western Virginia, and West Virginia, they are so beautiful.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2013, 01:05:49 AM by bgwah »

Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »

Was Missouri an Opebo visit?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »

My state map is rather boring since I've been in all but three states and that adds up to 524 EV. However, here's my county map. Red counties have been my places of residence, blue are places I've stayed the night, cyan includes visited destinations, green are places in passing including meal and gas stops, and yellow is airport only.

My states of residence total 149 EVs.

Wow, that map must have taken a lot of time. And I'm impressed with your memory. You really remember every county that you drove through, and counties in which you spent the night? And you certainly have scoured Iowa pretty thoroughly. Do corn fields particularly fascinate you? And what did you visit in Madison County, Iowa? The covered bridges and John Wayne's birthplace? If so, you saw my great parents' historic home next to the birthplace to the west on John Wayne Drive, and drove by the farm, if you drove south from Winterest on Clark Tower Road (the farm is off to the west as soon as you start going down the hill to the Middle River, and you go right through the middle of the Cunningham field right after you cross the bridge over the Middle River going south, with the balance of the farm to the west right after you cross the bridge over the Middle River, with the Middle River its southern boundary (the Middle River bends south after you cross the bridge, before turning east-west again as you move to the west).

Does training count? I've taken the train from LA to Chicago as a little kid. Anyway, I've been to every state now except ND and Alaska. I finally got around to going to Maine last year (which I loved).

I would count the train as equal to a car or bus. If you are in a vehicle on the ground - you're there. I've been maintaining my map for years, so initially I had to remember the highways I traveled on and all the parades and overnights I did as a teen in a drum and bugle corps. That counts for a lot of WI. My father was born in Cedar Rapids and I had/have family scattered in eastern IA, plus I lived as a boy in Des Moines for a couple of years and recall many of the visits in the area.

We couldn't afford to fly when I was young so road trips were common to visit relatives. The interstates weren't all connected in the 60's, so I got used to long drives on two-lane Midwestern highways. I still enjoy those drives, and I look for byways when time permits. Just this week as I drove from Worcester, MA to Springfield, IL I chose to take US 22 west from Pittsburgh to Cambridge rather than my expected route of I 70. It was a scenic diversion, it introduced me to the charming courthouse square in Cambridge, OH, and it added a couple of counties to my map as well. Smiley
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »

90%: CT, DC, GA
80%: AL, DE, FL, IL, KY, MD, MA, MO, NJ, NY, NC, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV
70%: CA
60%: NH, UT
50%: AZ, CO, IN, MS, NV, VT, WY
40%: AR, KS, LA, ME, MI, NM, OK, RI, WI
30%: ID, IA, MN, MT, NE, ND, OH, OR, SD, WA
Not yet visited: AK, HI
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »

237 EV - 90% for NY/MA/DC.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »

90%-States I lived in.   
50%-States I have spent large amounts of time in.
40%-States I have vacationed in more than once.
30%-States I have visited once.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2013, 05:49:20 PM »

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »

448.  You people and your insularity are embarrassing Wink
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2013, 07:27:31 PM »

448.  You people and your insularity are embarrassing Wink

The vacancy in WV is surprising. Have you not made the road trip between your homeland in MN and the greater DC area? It's hard not to spend at least a passing visit in or through WV in that case.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 01:10:44 AM »

EV= 433.  I counted as residences places where I've resided for at least a month (continuously). All other places I stopped at 70%. I was actually in NM and VT more than some other states such as RI, but not as often, so there you have it.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »

Not really sure how many times I've visited Nevada, Florida, and Texas (Texas consists entirely of layovers and the I-10.) Georgia and Minnesota are recent additions, again layovers.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »

And that's only because we're counting airport layovers. I once visited LAX on my way to Canada, and then San Fransisco on my way back fom Canada, so although they were a few weeks apart, it was part of the one trip. More recent trip to Canada we avoided US customs and immigration by passing through New Zealand.

How does that work? Is there really a direct flight to Canada from New Zealand but not one from Sydney or Melbourne?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:22 PM »

I just got back from GA, adding another state to my list.

Notes:

Green: KY and DE - The former I've flown into 4 times and driven through another time, all on the way to Cincy, the latter driven through 6+ times
TX, TN, WV - have stayed over once, just on the way somewhere else
MD, DE, PA, NJ - If you include going through, I've been 6+ times, but I colored them by the number of times I've done something in
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »

448.  You people and your insularity are embarrassing Wink

The vacancy in WV is surprising. Have you not made the road trip between your homeland in MN and the greater DC area? It's hard not to spend at least a passing visit in or through WV in that case.

Nah, we never drove it when my family lived in Minnesota.  The only real "family road trip" you can see evidence of on the map was MN-->SD-->WY-->NE-->IA-->MN from when I was 6.  Even then, I've never lived anywhere where the the fastest route to DC isn't I-80/90-->76-->70 rather than 65-->70.

You remind me that I want to get an account on that website you posted, but it's so gosh darn non-automatized! Angry (Also I have no idea what to put for "hometown".)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »

Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 12:24:25 AM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »

236 points. I've only ever lived in NY, but I've visited relatives in FL and CA more times than I could count, so those are 80%. The GA shading is for the Atlanta layovers I go through about half the time on my way to and from FL. We've had several family reunions in NC, and we've stopped in PA and VA on our way down once each (I've driven through MD, but never actually stopped there). VT was for my sister's college visit, and I've visited UT, MA, and MI once each for vacations/family reunions. The other two MI visits are for surgeries I've had. I'll be visiting CO and HI next year, so those will be on there eventually. Also, ON should be 40% 'cause of family.

But enough about me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies