What US states (and counties) have you been to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 07:10:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What US states (and counties) have you been to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Author Topic: What US states (and counties) have you been to?  (Read 52893 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »

I've been inside 44 of the states.

The red ones I've lived in long enough to register to vote.  The orange ones I lived in (paid rent, obtained a drivers license, etc.), but didn't vote.  The yellow ones are those where I've spent multiple nights (at least two nights and up to five weeks in some cases).  The green ones I've spent at least one night in, or at least one day driving through.  The grey ones I've never visited.

retromike22
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »

The red ones I've lived in long enough to register to vote.  The orange ones I lived in (paid rent, obtained a drivers license, etc.), but didn't vote.  The yellow ones are those where I've spent multiple nights (at least two nights and up to five weeks in some cases).  The green ones I've spent at least one night in, or at least one day driving through.  The grey ones I've never visited.

I'd love to hear the story of why and when you lived in those red states. It's such a diverse group.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 12:35:43 AM »

The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 02:18:00 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2013, 02:21:04 AM by MustCrushCapitalism »

I have not left New York State in about 9 years. I have not left Long Island (Suffolk, Nassau, Queens, Brooklyn) in 5 years. My time outside of Nassau/Suffolk probably totals under 2 weeks. Kinda sucks.

My state map is rather boring since I've been in all but three states and that adds up to 524 EV. However, here's my county map. Red counties have been my places of residence, blue are places I've stayed the night, cyan includes visited destinations, green are places in passing including meal and gas stops, and yellow is airport only.

Suffolk County in the house!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 01:54:56 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2013, 01:58:25 AM by Smid »

And that's only because we're counting airport layovers. I once visited LAX on my way to Canada, and then San Fransisco on my way back fom Canada, so although they were a few weeks apart, it was part of the one trip. More recent trip to Canada we avoided US customs and immigration by passing through New Zealand.

How does that work? Is there really a direct flight to Canada from New Zealand but not one from Sydney or Melbourne?

Yeah, the last trip, we flew direct Melbourne to LA and on the return journey, Vancouver to San Fran to Sydney to Melbourne. The return leg was a longer flight that cost more, but the travel agent advised that since we weren't getting off the plane in San Fran, we would avoid US Customs. Unfortunately, no one gave that memo to US Border Security, so we ended up paying more in order to have a longer flight. Needless to say, we were not happy with the travel agent.

I think although Qantas flies to Vancouver, all of their flights stop in at least one US city. That's why we flew Air New Zealand (and were very happy with the service). On a future trip, we may fly via Tokyo, and spend some time holidaying in Japan on the way. I think I heard that Air New Zealand uses their direct flight as a selling point for their direct to Vancouver flight.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »

519 EV.  Last three states are relatively compact, going to try to hit them next year Smiley

The map misses some subtleties, like I've spent 5+ weeks in Colorado vs. maybe 3 days in Illinois.

Decided not to count layovers.  They would just net me new shades, not new states, and I don't rightly remember how many times I've had layovers in DFW / O'Hare / Minneapolis / Las Vegas / etc.

I've got a county map like muon's buried somewhere.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »

Missouri and New Mexico should be yellow, come to think of it.  I went camping for a week in the Sangre de Cristo mountains (Great Story, by the way.  Some other time) and I spent about five days at a DOE conference in Saint Louis, where I saw the next-to-last home game of the last season at the old Busch Stadium. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2013, 12:59:34 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2013, 01:01:32 AM by shua »

Missouri and New Mexico should be yellow, come to think of it.  I went camping for a week in the Sangre de Cristo mountains (Great Story, by the way.  Some other time) and I spent about five days at a DOE conference in Saint Louis, where I saw the next-to-last home game of the last season at the old Busch Stadium. 

The trip to New Mexico on my map was to the Sangre de Cristo mountains too - at Philmont Scout Ranch Smiley

ten of the states on my map were filled in because of that trip.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »

It would be good to turn this into a poll and/or make a map of what states forumites have been to.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »

312 EVs (plus one layover in Puerto Rico).

I have counted round-trips as one visit (e.g. a tour through the SW, starting and finishing in Denver, and passing twice through NV and UT, or plane change at MIA en route to the Caribbean and back home).

I am not 100% sure about WV/TN/KY - when I was nine, my parents took us by car from Niagara Falls to Cherokee, NC, crossing the Ohio River where it is already quite large, but that's about all I remember from that part of the trip. We must have stayed somewhere overnight, and also stopped for food and gas, but don't ask me in which state. The same applies to NH/VT (the trip started in Concord, MA, from where we went to Niagara Falls via the Adirondacks). Most likely, the trip back to Concord via DC, Philadelphia and NYC also touched DE and RI, but I left them uncoloured since I don't remember any activities there.
JRP1994

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2014, 05:54:03 AM »

Here is mine.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2014, 06:26:32 AM »

Red states I've been physically on the ground in at some point; green is states where I never left the airport (Minneapolis and Atlanta, respectively; I colored Texas red since I spent a night in a hotel in Houston that a shuttle-bus took us to, which I suppose counts as driving through a state).

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »

I keep track of my US travel at the county level. Red for residences. Dark blue for overnight stay. Light blue for intentional destinations. Green for drive through (including meal stops). Yellow for airport only.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »

Red = visited for a week
Green = used their airspace (not sure about RI and NH though)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »

Shaded by frequency of visits.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2014, 11:08:17 AM by Snowstalker »

90% shade=lived in
50% shade=spent significant amount of time in
30% shade=spent smaller time in/only drove through

Quebec would be in 50% shade, Ontario in 30%.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2014, 11:06:14 AM »

Been to the red ones.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2014, 11:30:56 AM »

Dem 90% = lived in (NJ, PA, NY)
Dem 60% = visited frequently
Dem 40% = visited two or three times, roughly
Dem 30% = visited once
Ind = drove through without stopping (WV) or airport layover only (KY)
Rep = not visited

As for places outside of the US, Quebec would be Dem 30% and the rest of the world would be blue.

It looks like I'll be able to bump California up to the next level this summer, but no other change is on the horizon anytime soon.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2014, 08:48:59 AM by Gass3268 »

Shaded by frequency of visits and yellow is only an airport visit.

Future changes this year: DE to 7, NY and TN to 6 and NJ to 5.  
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »

Red >50% = states I've lived in
Red >30% = states my parents have lived in since I moved out
Blue >50% = states I remember spending at least a night in
Blue >30% = states I've been told I have spent a night in (but I was too young to remember)
Green >50% = states I've visited by road but haven't spent a night in
Green >30% = states I've switched planes through but otherwise have never been in

I'll turn Arkansas Blue >50% on Saturday, which, by my count, will be the 30th state I'll have spent at least a night in.  By the end of the year, I hope to have Washington State Blue >50%, South Carolina Green >50%, and North Carolina Blue > 50% Smiley
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »

Basically I haven't been north or west very much; I've been to CA, but was too young to remember it.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »

Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »

Three of these are transportation-infrastructure-only, though it's a different mode of transportation in each case: Minnesota only inside the airport, Indiana only inside the car on the interstate, and Connecticut only inside the train.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »

Red is visited; blue is airport only.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies