In which of these cities did Obama win the white male vote in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:23:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  In which of these cities did Obama win the white male vote in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In which of these cities did Obama win the white male vote in 2012?
NYC

Los Angeles

Chicago

Seattle

Minneapolis

Denver

Madison

Portland, OR

Portland, ME

Boston

Philadelphia

Washington DC

Baltimore

San Francisco

Detroit

Cleveland

Austin

Des Moines

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: In which of these cities did Obama win the white male vote in 2012?  (Read 1502 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »

Vote for as many as you think. I vote for all.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »

Probably all of them. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »

There's a white male vote in Detroit? Tongue

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:59:20 PM »

I voted all except Philadelphia and Baltimore and that's probably too generous. It's very likely all.

I can say with near certainty that Obama won the white male vote in Cleveland for instance, judging by the roughly 75% he received in most of the white parts of the city. For Romney to have won the white males in any city, it must at least have some Republican parts (yes, even Detroit has some white parts and all of them solidly Democratic), and Philly and Baltimore are the only two where these make up a non-negligible portion of the city. Romney didn't win a single precinct in Cleveland; there's absolutely no way he won the white male vote.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:15:25 AM »

I voted all except Philadelphia and Baltimore and that's probably too generous. It's very likely all.

I can say with near certainty that Obama won the white male vote in Cleveland for instance, judging by the roughly 75% he received in most of the white parts of the city. For Romney to have won the white males in any city, it must at least have some Republican parts (yes, even Detroit has some white parts and all of them solidly Democratic), and Philly and Baltimore are the only two where these make up a non-negligible portion of the city. Romney didn't win a single precinct in Cleveland; there's absolutely no way he won the white male vote.

The white portions of Philly that vote Democratic both vastly outnumber the portions that vote Republican, and also vote Dem with far stronger percentages. 

I would actually expect Obama to win the white male vote in Philly by a higher percentage than he won it in NYC.  There is no equivalent to the South Shore of SI, or Boro Park.  Yeah, NYC probably was closer to even than virtually all of the other cities on this list.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 12:56:44 AM »

The white portions of Philly that vote Democratic both vastly outnumber the portions that vote Republican, and also vote Dem with far stronger percentages. 

I would actually expect Obama to win the white male vote in Philly by a higher percentage than he won it in NYC.  There is no equivalent to the South Shore of SI, or Boro Park.  Yeah, NYC probably was closer to even than virtually all of the other cities on this list.

Even Des Moines? And LA has the San Fernando Valley...
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 04:19:09 AM »

Obama won the white vote in Iowa, so there is a pretty good chance that he won the white male vote in Des Moines. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:48:02 AM »

Probably all of these except for maybe Austin. I don't know what NOTA stands for, so I'm not going to guess at that.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »

The only one I'd doubt is Austin, and then only if white means non-Hispanic white. Austin incorporates some suburban areas and IIRC was only around 70% Obama in 2008, with a significant minority population. Voted all but Austin.

Probably all of these except for maybe Austin. I don't know what NOTA stands for, so I'm not going to guess at that.

None of the above.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 02:46:09 PM »

None of the above.

OK, thanks.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 09:18:26 PM »

Yeah but even large portions of the San Fernando Valley vote very Democrat and are fairly white. So places like Encino and other such areas along the Ventura Freeway. White males certainly vote Democrat there. The westside, hollywood and downtown areas have white males voting Democrat. The only areas where they would vote Republican are Chatsworth and Porter ranch with a lot of the rest of the San Fernando Valley being about even or maybe 55-45 Republican. It is easy to overestimate the influence of Hispanics on the vote, but in reality many do not vote due to various reasons (even if they are eligible). It is likely the white male vote in LA County as a whole is about 50-50, so definitely they voted Democrat in the city of Los Angeles.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »

http://graphics.latimes.com/how-la-voted-2012

Almost no (non-atlas) red in the SFV nowadays, even in the white parts.

Anyway, Detroit and Cleveland are the only two I'm not sure about, but I think Obama won white men in both.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »

http://graphics.latimes.com/how-la-voted-2012

Almost no (non-atlas) red in the SFV nowadays, even in the white parts.

Anyway, Detroit and Cleveland are the only two I'm not sure about, but I think Obama won white men in both.

Absolutely no way Obama didn't win white men in Cleveland at least. He won every precinct and about 40% of the city is white.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »

Absolutely no way Obama didn't win white men in Cleveland at least. He won every precinct and about 40% of the city is white.

Oh, okay. I'm not aware of how much of Cuyahoga County the city of Cleveland covers.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 07:50:17 AM »

I think he won all of them.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States