Oklahoma in 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:53:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Oklahoma in 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oklahoma in 2008  (Read 11355 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:29:31 AM »

This question must have been asked before, why did McCain do so good in Oklahoma, or why did Obama do so bad? Equally conservative states in 2004 like Nebraska swung heavily towards Obama, when McCain's 2008 result replicated Bush's 2004 result.

2004 ---> 2008

Utah: 71.5% Bush, 26.0% Kerry   --->  62.6% McCain, 34.4% Obama
Wyoming: 68.9% Bush, 29.1% Kerry ---> 64.4% McCain, 32.4% Obama
Idaho: 68.4% Bush, 30.3% Kerry ---> 61.5% McCain, 36.1% Obama
Nebraska: 65.9% Bush, 32.7% Kerry ---> 56.5% McCain, 41.6% Obama (!)
Oklahoma: 65.6% Bush, 34.4% Kerry ---> 65.6% McCain, 34.4% Obama (!)

Is there something unique with Oklahoma? It didn't really become a very conservative state in many peoples eyes until 2008 when it stuck out like a sour thumb staying with McCain/republicans when the rest of the country swung heavily towards Obama/democrats. This kind of hardcore trend happened with the Ozarks and Appalachia too, so I guess this kind of trend kind of explains Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Missouri. So is this just a reaction to Obama himself or are these states gone for good for the democrats?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »

George W. Bush swept every county in Oklahoma in 2004 before John McCain accomplished the same feat in 2008. It's been discussed on here before, but Oklahoma is located in the heart of the Bible Belt with evangelicals who were not very responsive to Obama's socially liberal stances, particularly on abortion and marriage equality. Here's something from a source that may better answer your question:

While Oklahoma is certainly a conservative state, it’s not necessarily the state you would think would be the most opposed to Obama in the U.S.. In fact, in the most recent Gallup state rankings, Oklahoma wasn’t even listed among the 10 most conservative states in the country.

The state also recently had a popular two-term Democratic governor, Brad Henry, and has a popular Democratic congressman, retiring Rep. Dan Boren (the son of a well-liked Democratic former governor and senator).

GOP consultant and Oklahoma native Chris Wilson says it comes down to values.

“Be it health care, the Keystone Pipeline, religious liberty or any other myriad of issues, Obama continues to prove his values are even outside the mainstream of the Democratic Party in Oklahoma,” Wilson said.. “However, if Obama is able to successfully push for a college football playoff, that could all change.”

Read more at http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/why-oklahoma-is-so-anti-obama/2012/03/07/gIQA4z6UxR_blog.html

OK, so they have to be the right type of democrat. I see.... I guess the bible belt stops above Oklahoma because Kansas doesn't seem to be nearly as anti-Obama, despite it being a very conservative state. This state, Arkansas and many others in the area seem to be similar when it comes to people being heavily anti-Obama. Was he cast as an extremist by them? Do you think this kind of trend will continue into the future with democratic presidents? In my opinion I believe so as the democratic party is moving to the left generally and these folks who were democrats in the 80's and 90's don't really see the democratic party as it was decades ago, it really just depends on the candidate, and the normal democratic candidate just won't do anymore for these folks.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »

It's a pipe dream at this point (muh exit polls, etc.), but I'd love to see how well Romney did among OK registered Democrats.

McCain got 33% in 2008, but I'd like to know about 2012 too.

McCain also got...

21% of Democrats in Arkansas
24% of Democrats in Louisiana
28% of Democrats in West Virginia
30% of Democrats in Kentucky

Its too bad none of these states were exit polled. "White Democrats" were even more McCain than overall democrats (of course). I would love to see how many Democrats Romney got in West Virginia.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies